Peace Corps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Dallas, TX) in September 2009.

Interview

You can check the website for a detailed explanation of hiring process. It is extensive and took me over a year from the submission of my application to actually getting into my assigned country. The interview seemed laid back and the questions were mostly about leadership, cross cultural experiences/sensitivity and you also have the chance to ask the recruiter any questions. They also ask you if there is any reason you would need to come home or quit before the 27 month contract is over.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

You basically go through a long process that really shouldn't be that long but it is because your working with a Government Organization.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult really, questions regarding where and how have you dealt with other cultures before.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

I went to a campus event at my college, got all the information I needed and filled out an application. After that was finished, I had an interview with the campus Peace Corps recruiter, which took about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult, the questions were mostly focused on getting to know me and whether I was ready to spend 2+ years living in another country.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember: again, the interview wasn't difficult or especially probing: just be yourself.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The interview lasted much longer than the recruiter had initially predicted -- over 3 hours! She would ask the same questions multiple times in slightly different ways: how you handle alone time; discuss a time you were frustrated (it was that unspecific); discuss a time when you had to teach someone something.

Interview Questions

• None of it was very difficult; perhaps the most personal was a question about a time when I didn't agree with a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in November 2010.

Interview

Fill out lengthy application form online and write two essays. If everything checks out, they'll invite you for an interview. If they like you, a regional recruiter will call you for a phone follow up and possibly nominate you for a region. Wait months as you get your medical and legal background checks sorted out and receive a final assignment a few months before departure. I went through the entire process in 8 months and many volunteers consider that very quick.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you've been a minority.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, as it's a volunteer program.

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

You fill out the application online and then you do an in-person interview at one the Peace Corps regional offices. If all your medical paperwork clears, you'll be offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you were placed in a new environment- what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in February 2011.

Interview

After completing an online application form, complete with essays and letters of recommendation, successful applicants will be contacted by a recruiter who will schedule an in-person interview. Should the recruiter approve the applicant, they will be nominated for a global region and sector. While awaiting an invitation to join a specific country and program as pertains to their nomination, the nominee must complete extensive medical examinations (for which they will be nominally reimbursed). Upon receiving an invitation, the nominee will have 10 days in which to decide whether or not they will accept.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge you have faced in your work life and the strategies you employed while striving to overcome it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Tampa, FL).

Interview

After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Questions

• The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2011.

Interview

The medical review was the most difficult part of the process. I mentioned a very minor allergy and that required a written follow up etc. Keep it simple and include things from your documented medical record

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know what I would do in my idle time. Exercise isn't necessarily the best answer because in many countries (particularly if you are a woman) that option may not be available to you - ie running in public could be taboo. Its worth really considering this question and reflecting upon what you turn to as a coping mechanism   Answer Question

Negotiation

You have 7 days to reject or accept your country assignment. It was a difficult choice for me but ultimately I accepted

Interview

The Peace Corps Response interview process was smooth and quick. Since Response is for people who have already served I think the recruiter assumes you already have an idea of what to expect. I applied on a Friday and the following week I was contacted to set up a phone interview. The experience can vary depending on the recruiter but my experience was fast and easy. From the time I applied to the day I left was less than three months.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was relaxed and conversational and there weren't any surprising questions.   Answer Question