Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Madison, WI) in March 2014.

Interview

The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Tampa, FL).

Interview

After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Questions

• The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The point of the interview process is to make sure that you are going to be able to excel for 2 years of service. This means if you can be a self starter, be away from friends and family and find happiness, and if you can be culturally sensitive and accepting. Don't try and work the system, because all the people that leave service are because of these reasons, be honest with the situation, and if you are a good fit, congrats! If not, there are plenty other service opportunities that aren't as intense a commitment, not everyone is meant to be a Peace Corps volunteer, and the investment is in training, so they are trying to find those that have that special something before the investment.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Buffalo, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

It was brief just to make sure you were not too much of a religious nut or harbored some white mans burden ideological prejudices. You have to be interested in understanding the village before you try and implement any projects which is important anyway. You have to demonstrate your understanding of how controversial the west's intervention into the third world has been over time. At least that is what I did. I also talked about my environmental studies degree and how it was relevant.

Interview Questions

• What my major was? How it was relevant? We talked about my senior thesis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chapel Hill, NC) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview was fairly informal at a local university. The interviewer was a former PC volunteer. They asked about volunteer experience, education, language skills, ability to be alone, relationships, etc.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

I submitted my application online and hear back within a few weeks for an interview. I was contacted directly by the recruiter, Shannon. The interview itself lasted about an hour. I was accepted to continue with the placement process by the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell us about a time you took a leadership position.   Answer Question
    • Q: Are you willing to adapt your physical appearance or behavior according to the norms of your host country?   Answer Question
    • Q: What are your normal outlets for dealing with stress? How do you think you'll react and adapt when your normal outlets are not available to you?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Miami, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

The Regional Recruiter asked about my professional experience, but was also very interested in my character. There were some behavioral and personality questions. Overall it was an easy conversation where I was sure to highlight how my previous experience applies to Peace Corps service and the three goals of the organization.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

The in person interview happened at Butler University in Indianapolis. The questions were different from a normal job interview and were aimed at how you will be able to cope living in a developing country for two years. I wore a suit to the interview and it lasted about 30 minutes.