Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 30, 2017

2.7

89 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

The in person interview happened at Butler University in Indianapolis. The questions were different from a normal job interview and were aimed at how you will be able to cope living in a developing country for two years. I wore a suit to the interview and it lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (El Segundo, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The hiring process was rigorous. There was an extensive essay process, in person interview, and a lengthy medical and legal check.

Interview Questions

• Being asked about gender issues and how I'd feel living in countries with differing gender roles.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Oakland, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

I met with a recruiter, and she asked all of the questions on the Peace Corps Wiki site in the exact order listed. Since I had used that site for my "practice" session, I was ready to discuss all. It was a pleasant experience, and completely stress free.

Interview Questions

• MOTIVATION / COMMITMENT
      What motivates you to seek a service position as a Peace Corps Volunteer? How does Peace Corps service fit into your long range plans?
      Remember back to your first playground experience. Why did you want to play on the playground? What games did you play?
      What, if anything, might keep you from completing a 27-month commitment to Peace Corps Service?
      Do you have a specific geographic preference? If yes: what is the reason for your preference and how flexible are you? If there are specific regions where you are unwilling to serve: what are your reasons and what is your degree of flexibility?

PRODUCTIVE COMPETENCE
      Please tell me about your most successful experience in a leadership role. Be as specific as possible.
      Please tell me about an experience when you were able to transfer some knowledge or skill to someone who was different from yourself. What did you learn about your interpersonal skills from that experience? What did you learn about the other person?
      Please tell me about the most frustrating experience you have had when working with others. Specifically, how did you manage that frustration?
      Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience?
      All Peace Corps Volunteers learn a new language. Have you studied a second language?
      If so, what challenges did you face and what level of facility did you achieve?
      What aptitudes or abilities can you draw on to help you succeed in learning a new language?

MATURITY
      What situations do you typically find stressful? What do you currently do to reduce stress?
      When you are overseas, circumstances and/or cultural norms may prevent you from employing your usual ways of managing stress, boredom, and loneliness. You will also most likely be out of touch with your familiar support group.
      In such a situation, what alternative outlets might you use?
      If your support group currently plays a critical role in helping you cope with stress, how will you manage without them?
      What is the longest you have been physically separated from important people (family, friends, romantic interests, etc.) in your life? What was the most difficult part of being away from those closest to you? How did you cope?
      What kind of support have you received from those closest to you on your decision to join the Peace Corps?
      Has anyone close to you opposed your decision to join Peace Corps? If so, who was it? What were his/her concerns? How have you responded to them?
      Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.
      One’s ability to work through and resolve differences or conflict is often tested in cross-cultural situations. Please tell me about a specific situation, one we haven’t already discussed, when you needed to work through a disagreement or difference of opinion. Were you able to reach a resolution? How, specifically, did you do that?
      If you weren’t able to resolve the conflict, what prevented you from doing so? In retrospect, is there anything you would do differently?
      Are you currently in a relationship? If so, how will you handle the expectations of your service overseas?
      Rank the following three aspects of your service by how important they are to you: where you go, when you go, and what you do.

SOCIAL SENSITIVITY / CULTURAL AWARENESS
      In some countries, tattoos, body piercing, or unusual hairstyles may be culturally unacceptable. To be a successful Volunteer in such a country, you would have to modify your appearance so that it conforms to local norms. Are you willing to make such an adjustment? Give an example of a time that you had to modify your appearance.
      The following are issues that you may face in your country of service. Please note any concerns:
      different and/or lack of familiar foods
      different living conditions
      lack of privacy; isolation
      prescribed gender roles
      possible minority challenges
      personal religious requirements/possible lack of access to your own religious services
      living in a culture where alcohol may be widely consumed and accepted/living in a culture that prohibits the use of alcohol altogether!   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Peace Corps in June 2013.

Interview

Took forever to go through selection process. On-line application. Screened by an personal interview at their office. Many months went by before they processed and told me where I would be serving. Delay in my leave date.

Interview Questions

• If I wanted to live near other volunteers   1 Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

I went to a campus event at my college, got all the information I needed and filled out an application. After that was finished, I had an interview with the campus Peace Corps recruiter, which took about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult, the questions were mostly focused on getting to know me and whether I was ready to spend 2+ years living in another country.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember: again, the interview wasn't difficult or especially probing: just be yourself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Boulder, CO) in March 2013.

Interview

The interview was a good experience overall. It is all about why you want to do the PC and how you will handle all the struggles that come with service. There is also a good amount of questions about your past and how that will help you abroad.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle living in an extremely difficult environment for 2 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

After your application is submitted, you will be asked a brief health questionnaire. Then you will have an interview (phone or in person) then a background and medical check. Once everything is clear then you will be placed to a specific country. Typically it takes six months but it could take up to 2 years.

Interview Questions

• A lot of situational questions, describe a time when you had to teach someone something, describe a time when you didn't agree with someone, how did you handle that situation? Describe a time when you were uncomfortable/ unfamiliar with something, how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

there is no negotiation phase, you either accept your country invitation or you don't. If you decline twice, you are no longer considered.

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Miami, FL) in February 2013.

Interview

You apply to PC online and then receive multiple phone interviews/medical clearances. After about 6 months, you are offered a site (country)/position and you can either decline or accept. If you accept, it will be about another 4-5 months before departure.

Interview Questions

• In the interview, they want to make sure you're cut out for living (and succeeding) in a new culture and communicating in a different language for two years. Have specific examples prepared to prove you have what it takes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Long application, includes essays. Think grad school minus test scores. Then a one-on-one interview with a recruiter at headquarter offices which was fairly easy. Very relaxed atmosphere. Whole process from submission until invitation took about 5-6 months.

Interview Questions

• How will deal with the psychological hardship of being away from friends and family for the 27-month commitment?   Answer Question