Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 30, 2017

2.7

89 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY).

Interview

The process overall took 9 months from the submission of application, to interview, to medical clearance, to receiving an offer. My interview took place with a recruiter at the regional office in New York.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with tutoring (after selected for Education sector).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I was emailed to set up an interview at the nearest PC office. I drove there and met with my recruiter for about an hour. Later, I got the general acceptance, and then a phone call to tell me where I would be going (at the time, I couldn't apply to a specific country or program).

Interview Questions

• Could I live separated from other Americans, or at least a long distance from them, for 2 years.   1 Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps in January 2016.

Interview

I applied in mid December 2015- heard back about two weeks after saying I was being looked at for the country of my choice- in that same day I got an invite for an interview. I was told by my recruiter to take the first available slot so i took one that was a week out. Prepared online with those questions on peace corps wiki page. Had a mock interview with my boyfriend and he really prepared me for it. I dressed in a business jacket and looked professional. The interview was normal, they ask you a lot about challenges you have faced, projects you have done on your own, if you can be without your family. The woman was typing my answers the entire time. And she was really nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with a group. What were the outcomes?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

I interviewed with a returned Peace Corps volunteer from the country and sector I was being considered for. Basically the interview was broken up into several parts: questions on why I wanted to join Peace Corps, questions about how I handled certain situations, and discussing common issues many volunteers faced while serving. My interviewer was very friendly and informative on any questions I had. At some points, the interview felt very conversational.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to fulfill an important obligation but it ended up being harder than you thought.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

Very quick and easy online application that took me less than 2 hours. Then a series of online forms that I had to complete within given time periods. After I had an interview request which was performed on Skype with my potential country director. Mine lasted 2 hours but they said that it ran way longer than they usually do. Within a couple weeks I was offered a position- but was given 7 days to decide, a time frame that I was not expecting. They were able to extend it by a couple days for me, but not very much.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you actually failed and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

I heard back from them after completing the application process in about a month. After finally scoring an interview that I thought went well had to wait months to be told that there is applicants more qualified than myself. When I had to fill out paperwork for a MIP from years ago they asked questions that made it feel like I was a drug addict.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

We spoke on the phone about my experiences, interests, and any concerns I had. I then completed a medical checkup, and about four months later, I was offered an opportunity in Bulgaria.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any dietary restrictions?   1 Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2015.

Interview

Quick, mostly painless, but very formulaic and structured. My interview was conducted remotely, as I believe all of them now are. It was difficult to determine whether an answer was positive or negative, as interviewers are clearly well-trained to avoid giving much feedback during the process. The lack of follow-up is frustrating but understandable due to the volume of applicants PC is dealing with at this time.

Interview Questions

• General Qs about cultural adaptability, teaching/volunteer experiences   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed as part of a couple so this may be different than other people's experiences. I was interviewed initially for 2 hours and then my partner was interviewed for 2 hours and we were interviewed for about 1 hour together.

Overall the experience was pretty average in that they asked questions and we answered. The best part of the process, though, was talking to the recruiter about her experience as a volunteer. She shared with us about her time in Africa and was very candid about how challenging her experience was. I think most interviewers are returned volunteers so that helps.

Interview Questions

• Why Peace Corps?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if something happened to your partner and they needed to leave the country?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about working with people who were very different than you?   Answer Question
    • Would you be comfortable working with people who have different values than you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chapel Hill, NC).

Interview

After sending my application materials through the online platform, I was contacted about an on-campus interview with the university Peace Corps recruiter. She was a returned volunteer, and she was very helpful answering my questions with stories of her own during the interview. The questions she asked me were sometimes repetitive (e.g., describe hardest situation, describe situation that frustrated me, describe situation where I didn't think I'd succeed, etc.). Having served in the Peace Corps since the interview, I understand why these questions are necessary, but sometimes they made the interview difficult because I wanted to come up with new examples for each question. After the interview, Peace Corps has to analyze all of the application materials and the interview recommendations. That part of the process takes the longest amount of time. If you've had medical procedures, it'll probably take even longer. Then, you receive a packet in the mail that has all of the information in it--where you're going, what the country is like, what volunteers there do, what kind of volunteer you'll be, what to buy, when you'll leave, how to deal with culture shock, etc. From then, you'll have about a week to decide if you're going or not. I went. Greatest decision of my life.

Interview Questions

• Has there ever been a time when you thought you should quit something?   1 Answer