Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteers Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2017

2.7

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2012.

Interview

Tedious but relatively Painless. They recently updated it, so it could be shorter/less mysterious. At the time, one applied to Peace Corps as a whole and they assigned you where they felt you would best serve. Now you apply directly to positions within Peace Corps. This takes some of the fun out of it, but it does make it more useful (and faster!)

Interview Questions

• Have you had any mental health issues?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Bellingham, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

It was a 90 minute interview where I discussed with the recruiter every possible aspect of my preparation to work abroad, including volunteer experience, educational preparation, emotional wellness, to physical suitability. My recruiter was very enthusiastic and encouraging. After the initial interview with the recruiter, I had a phone interview with a representative from the regional office. I believe it was up to that person to nominate me for a position. I applied in April 2012. My first interview was in April, the second was in May. In June, I heard back that they nominated me for a position starting in June of the following year. In December or January of 2013, I was invited to take the position in June of that year.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel about working in another language, maybe one you aren't comfortable in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Portland, ME) in February 2009.

Interview

Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Negotiation

Minimal

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chapel Hill, NC).

Interview

After sending my application materials through the online platform, I was contacted about an on-campus interview with the university Peace Corps recruiter. She was a returned volunteer, and she was very helpful answering my questions with stories of her own during the interview. The questions she asked me were sometimes repetitive (e.g., describe hardest situation, describe situation that frustrated me, describe situation where I didn't think I'd succeed, etc.). Having served in the Peace Corps since the interview, I understand why these questions are necessary, but sometimes they made the interview difficult because I wanted to come up with new examples for each question. After the interview, Peace Corps has to analyze all of the application materials and the interview recommendations. That part of the process takes the longest amount of time. If you've had medical procedures, it'll probably take even longer. Then, you receive a packet in the mail that has all of the information in it--where you're going, what the country is like, what volunteers there do, what kind of volunteer you'll be, what to buy, when you'll leave, how to deal with culture shock, etc. From then, you'll have about a week to decide if you're going or not. I went. Greatest decision of my life.

Interview Questions

• Has there ever been a time when you thought you should quit something?   1 Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I went through the process with the old system and have heard that it has changed significantly since, but my experience was pretty straightforward. I applied online, an interview was requested at the regional office, I had my interview and was told i would be nominated. We looked through the openings and didn't see one that matched my skills and experiences so we waited a few weeks. Finally, something came up that felt right so my interviewer (former PCV) nominated me for that program (it was very vague at that stage- sustainable agriculture volunteer in latin america), I began the paperwork (medical clearance, background check, etc) and had to wait a few months for all of that to get processed. Finally, after 6 months (I applied July 09)I was sent an invitation (December 09) to be a Sustainable Agribusiness Volunteer in Ecuador leaving February 2010.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of "how would you react in this situation" questions. The interviewers are all Returned Peace Corps Volunteers themselves so they have first hand knowledge of the experiences and what kind of person would make a good volunteer, so most of the questions are aimed at getting to the bottom of that aspect.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted the offer and packed my bags and left for 2.5 years a couple months later.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Madison, WI) in October 2014.

Interview

Interview with desk officer. Then you're good to go. Just be sure to know why you're doing the Corps. It's easy if you're the type of person who's applying to peace corps.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with cross cultural exchange?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

I submitted my application online and hear back within a few weeks for an interview. I was contacted directly by the recruiter, Shannon. The interview itself lasted about an hour. I was accepted to continue with the placement process by the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell us about a time you took a leadership position.   Answer Question
    • Q: Are you willing to adapt your physical appearance or behavior according to the norms of your host country?   Answer Question
    • Q: What are your normal outlets for dealing with stress? How do you think you'll react and adapt when your normal outlets are not available to you?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in January 2015.

Interview

Online Application with a phone/skype interview a few months later. Peace Corps firsts screens you for a certain placement and you schedule your interview following that. Mainly it was a fit interview in making sure that they understood your motivation to join Peace Corps as well as your maturity on dealing with Peace Corps life. It was an hour long phone interview in which you talk to a Peace Corps recruiter regarding a specific placement.

Interview Questions

• One’s ability to work through and resolve differences or conflict is often tested in cross-cultural situations. Please tell me about a specific situation, one we haven’t already discussed, when you needed to work through a disagreement or difference of opinion. Were you able to reach a resolution? How, specifically, did you do that?   Answer Question
    • Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Got a phone call from recruiter about 8 weeks after filling out an online application. After initial interview I had another phone call about 3 months later asking more specific questions about was given an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked in a diverse environment   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I was emailed to set up an interview at the nearest PC office. I drove there and met with my recruiter for about an hour. Later, I got the general acceptance, and then a phone call to tell me where I would be going (at the time, I couldn't apply to a specific country or program).

Interview Questions

• Could I live separated from other Americans, or at least a long distance from them, for 2 years.   1 Answer