Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 30, 2017

2.7

89 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY).

Interview

The process overall took 9 months from the submission of application, to interview, to medical clearance, to receiving an offer. My interview took place with a recruiter at the regional office in New York.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with tutoring (after selected for Education sector).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

The in person interview happened at Butler University in Indianapolis. The questions were different from a normal job interview and were aimed at how you will be able to cope living in a developing country for two years. I wore a suit to the interview and it lasted about 30 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Madison, WI) in October 2014.

Interview

Interview with desk officer. Then you're good to go. Just be sure to know why you're doing the Corps. It's easy if you're the type of person who's applying to peace corps.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with cross cultural exchange?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

I submitted my application online and hear back within a few weeks for an interview. I was contacted directly by the recruiter, Shannon. The interview itself lasted about an hour. I was accepted to continue with the placement process by the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell us about a time you took a leadership position.   Answer Question
    • Q: Are you willing to adapt your physical appearance or behavior according to the norms of your host country?   Answer Question
    • Q: What are your normal outlets for dealing with stress? How do you think you'll react and adapt when your normal outlets are not available to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Miami, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

The Regional Recruiter asked about my professional experience, but was also very interested in my character. There were some behavioral and personality questions. Overall it was an easy conversation where I was sure to highlight how my previous experience applies to Peace Corps service and the three goals of the organization.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in January 2015.

Interview

Online Application with a phone/skype interview a few months later. Peace Corps firsts screens you for a certain placement and you schedule your interview following that. Mainly it was a fit interview in making sure that they understood your motivation to join Peace Corps as well as your maturity on dealing with Peace Corps life. It was an hour long phone interview in which you talk to a Peace Corps recruiter regarding a specific placement.

Interview Questions

• One’s ability to work through and resolve differences or conflict is often tested in cross-cultural situations. Please tell me about a specific situation, one we haven’t already discussed, when you needed to work through a disagreement or difference of opinion. Were you able to reach a resolution? How, specifically, did you do that?   Answer Question
    • Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Got a phone call from recruiter about 8 weeks after filling out an online application. After initial interview I had another phone call about 3 months later asking more specific questions about was given an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked in a diverse environment   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2012.

Interview

Tedious but relatively Painless. They recently updated it, so it could be shorter/less mysterious. At the time, one applied to Peace Corps as a whole and they assigned you where they felt you would best serve. Now you apply directly to positions within Peace Corps. This takes some of the fun out of it, but it does make it more useful (and faster!)

Interview Questions

• Have you had any mental health issues?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I was emailed to set up an interview at the nearest PC office. I drove there and met with my recruiter for about an hour. Later, I got the general acceptance, and then a phone call to tell me where I would be going (at the time, I couldn't apply to a specific country or program).

Interview Questions

• Could I live separated from other Americans, or at least a long distance from them, for 2 years.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

It was really pleasant, and felt more like a conversation than an interview. The interviewer was supportive and enthusiastic and excited to share his own experience in Peace Corps. He tried to give me the widest range of volunteer opportunities options as possible by expanding the skill set listed on the original application. Overall, the interview itself made me feel very comfortable with the whole process, though it took a very long time to get from application to interview to departure.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my departure date, but the rule was changed shortly afterwards to prohibit that practice from continuing. All other aspects of the job are non-negotiable.