Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2012.

Interview

It took over a year to be given my placement, the application process has changed since I've applied. Its been a long time since i applied so it's hard to remember the entire process. There were many steps to the paper part of the application, then i had an in-person interview. I received a nomination for the "Pacific" region a few weeks after my interview.

Interview Questions

• questions about adapting to different cultures. Questions about experience teaching   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (South Bend, IN) in February 2012.

Interview

It was very thorough. I was impressed. There were two in-person interviews, a phone interview, and I had to write an essay. It confirmed that the Peace Corps is doing its best to get good, committed people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A

Volunteer Interview

Interview

Interview process took about a year to complete, including over the phone talks and medical reviews. I would suggest working with the Peace Corps recruiter in your area to prepare as well as answer any questions you have about service and working with the Peace Corps.

Volunteer Interview

Interview

Very long interview process. Phone interview, in person interview. Medical and dental evaluations and more phone interviews with headquarters. Application process took me two years from start to finish (placement notification).

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to change your physical appearance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I went to the main office in DC to have my interview. My interviewer wrote down everything I said- which was slightly disconcerting and distracting when he would stop writing, like what I was saying at the time wasn't important enough to write down. But it was fine and comfortable and I eventually got the job!

Interview Questions

• How would you manage living and working in another country?   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The interview was conducted over Skype for Business. The application process was very long, I would recommend starting ASAP, but not too long before your desired date of departure because the application will get deleted. I received an email poll of the times I was available to interview, and this was the time my Skype interview was held. I had an issue with the video, but was able to communicate easily with my Site Coordinator to fix this issue and go along with the interview. The interview was a long about 60 minute interview. I was asked to elaborate on my answers for almost ever question.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you failed?
      Why do you think you failed?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with Dr. Susan Henderson for a practicum for my MPH program. We had confirm the time through email. She called me ontime and we had discussed about both of our needs. She had worked with practicum intern before and was well aware of the procedure, which benefitted both of us. I built a codebook for them.

Interview Questions

• I was asked several questions regarding differernt disease conditions, codebook.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

The initial application is kind of extensive. You have to go through background and medical checks and write a few essays, submit transcripts. You also may have several skype interviews with Peace Corps recruiters. Depending on how qualified they think you are this could only be one or several before you are given an invitation to work in a certain country and project.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a project you wanted to do wasn't supported by the community you are working with?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Santa Barbara, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied under the old application system, so it took well over a year for me to receive placement. The interview was pretty standard. One thing that I did not appreciate during the interview was that the interviewer had to take notes on the computer while we were talking, so s/he was very focused on that and barely made any eye contact with me during the interview. The entire process too 18 months, even though this form will only allow a maximum of 12 months.

Interview Questions

• Very typical interview questions: Why am I interested in Peace Corps? How have I prepared for the experience of living and working abroad for 27 months? Strengths and weaknesses? How do I plan to cope with being abroad for such a long time? Questions about past experiences.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Oakland, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

There was only one interview with a recruiter who had been a volunteer in West Africa previously. The interview lasted about 40 minutes, and there was plenty of opportunity to ask questions about possible work sites. I was rated as a health volunteer based on my education, so there were opportunities all over the world in health work.

Interview Questions

• Where do you want to live, and will you accept an assignment i the tropics? I did not want to live in the tropics again due to excessive heat and humidity - I wanted a new experience - but I said yes.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given the choice between going to Benin or Uganda, and I asked to see the job descriptions for both. Once we received our invitation, we had only 4 days to accept the offer, and we knew if we did not accept, there would not be another offer! Peace Corps has changed its procedures recently, so applicants have more choice in accepting or rejecting offers now, I believe.