Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 12, 2017

2.8

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in December 2015.

Interview

Received email to set up interview, made it for two weeks later. Interviewer called and explained how it would. She proceeded to ask multiple questions and the whole thing lasted around one hour.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Volunteer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2009.

Interview

The interview was quite simple. I was asked questions about my past experience abroad, how I felt in cross-cultural settings, what program area I felt my skills were most suited to, and what challenges I anticipated as a volunteer. I got the feeling that it was unlikely I would say anything that would negatively affect my application. The recruiter was pleasant and the process was smooth. I went on to serve happily and successfully as a volunteer for three years.

However, I've since learned that the organization accepts pretty much everyone who can clear the lengthy medical screening process. The applicant/volunteer's actual ability to serve only becomes truly apparent once he or she is out in the field, and this ability is hard to accurately assess in a brief interview in the States.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel about changing your manner of dress or self-presentation to better fit in with a local population? (I am a female, and at the time of my interview I had VERY short hair.)   1 Answer

Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2014.

Interview

A very casual interview more like a conversation between the recruiter and myself. Met on my college campus and talked over a cup of coffee. I had met the recruiter a few times before so he was aware of my interest in joining the Peace Corps.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to serve any where in the world?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in February 2011.

Interview

After completing an online application form, complete with essays and letters of recommendation, successful applicants will be contacted by a recruiter who will schedule an in-person interview. Should the recruiter approve the applicant, they will be nominated for a global region and sector. While awaiting an invitation to join a specific country and program as pertains to their nomination, the nominee must complete extensive medical examinations (for which they will be nominally reimbursed). Upon receiving an invitation, the nominee will have 10 days in which to decide whether or not they will accept.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge you have faced in your work life and the strategies you employed while striving to overcome it.   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2011.

Interview

The medical review was the most difficult part of the process. I mentioned a very minor allergy and that required a written follow up etc. Keep it simple and include things from your documented medical record

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know what I would do in my idle time. Exercise isn't necessarily the best answer because in many countries (particularly if you are a woman) that option may not be available to you - ie running in public could be taboo. Its worth really considering this question and reflecting upon what you turn to as a coping mechanism   Answer Question

Negotiation

You have 7 days to reject or accept your country assignment. It was a difficult choice for me but ultimately I accepted

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY).

Interview

We met at a cafe. The interviewer asked me scripted questions and recorded my responses. It was not incredibly formal or stressful, but they do expect you to dress professionally (minimum business casual).

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Atlanta, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

It started with an application. I received a call within a week from the recruitment office for an in person interview. It did take over a year to actually depart for the position I was hired for.

Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Peace Corps in January 2017.

Interview

It consisted of two interviewers asking the typical interview questions, hr assistant and executive assistant, both very friendly and pleasant, this was not a behavioral interview , pleasant experience overall

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself
      Why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Easy, in person interview about 2 hours. Just be yourself.

Interview Questions

• If you are going to make me type something, this is what I'm typing. I don't remember the interview questions, alright?   Answer Question

Volunter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Boston, MA) in April 2014.

Interview

I actually met with a recruiter during a career fair and informed her that I had already applied and just wanted to say hello. It was just my luck that the recruiter had read my application that morning. We casually discussed my motivation to join the Peace Corps and my background working with refugees in the Boston area. When my actual interview came around, it was very relaxed since the recruiter had pretty much already made up her mind about me getting in and just had to input my answers into the system for me to be formally put under consideration. Once put under consideration basically you just need to have a clean background and pass all the medical checks to be formally invited (aka offered a position as a volunteer).

Interview Questions

• How do you manage stress or your own mental health?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any relationships or obligations in the US that will impact your work as a volunteer   1 Answer