Peak Hosting Linux Systems Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Peak Hosting

1 Interview Review

Linux Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Peak Hosting (Portland, OR) in October 2014.

Interview

Peak Hosting reached out to me because of an employee referral. I spoke with their recruiter for about thirty minutes and she said she would get back to me. It took about a week, but the recruiter and I scheduled a 1-on-1 interview with the hiring manager.

I had a very pleasant time talking to the hiring manager, and we spent most of the time just chatting about what we look for in respective jobs, and the Oregon tech scene in general. It was very clear that he would be an excellent manager to have and that Peak would be a good cultural fit for me.

The next step was talking with two groups of three people, each for an hour. These were team members that I would be working with, and they were in depth technical interviews. The first group focused on systems administration and networking, the second focused on OLTP databases and current data warehousing technologies (Hadoop, Exadata, Teradata, etc).

The whole interview process couldn't have been better. Everyone I talked to was very friendly, and they were very open when I was asking pretty difficult questions about the struggles at Peak.

They worked hard to give me a very respectable offer, but in the end I decided to stay where I'm at currently.

Interview Questions

• You have a server that can pull data from the outside world, but not receive it. What do you do?   2 Answers

It was a hard decision for me to decline the offer but there were a couple of reasons that I decided to do so.

The company seems like it's going through major growing pains right now, everyone I talked to said they've gone from 30 people to over 150 in the last year just to deal with the volume of work. I've been in a few job situations where this happened, and it leads to a weird culture and bad team cohesion.

When I asked people at the CEO at the company (based off a lot of reviews here on Glassdoor), everyone seemed to apologize for him saying, "He's just eccentric and excited about Peak" and, "You have to really get to know him before you understand him." The apologizes for the CEO were big red flags for me.