Pearson Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 28, 2017

2.9

Quality and Delivery Assessment Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pearson (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Terrible interview process. Lasted for close to 2 months from beginning to end. HR wasn't very organised and didn't send all the tasks out ahead of time. Additionally provided no feedback even though I have a day of my time.
    1 x Phone Interview
    1 x Assessment Day - Competency Based Question, Pre-Interview Task, 2 Exercises to complete at Interview.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest training curve you've experience and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pearson (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

After two rounds of interviews I had a job offer from Pearson in an executive role. The interviews went really well, I enjoyed meeting the team I would be working with and it was NOT and easy decision but in the end I had to turn down the offer because the salary they offered was too low.

As I reached the second stage I assumed that my salary expectations had been taken into consideration (they asked during first interview) however the offer was about 3k less than the minimum asked for and 6k less than my previous role.
    For the right role I don't mind taking a paycut as long as the responsabilities goes hand in hand with it, which it didn't in this case.

It seemed like a good company, great location and nice colleagues but the salary needs to reflect the experience seeked in candidates.

Interview Questions

• Generally questions about my experience and what I could bring for this role.   Answer Question

Exams Management Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pearson (London, England (UK)).

Interview

It consisted of two stages. At first we were asked to complete some tests - mostly calculations e.g. we were asked to calculate percentages, averages prices etc... Later on we were asked to do some proofreading and this exercise was quite straightforward. The first stage It lasted 2 hours in total and a few days later I had an interview - it lasted 1 hour with two people asking competency questions.

Interview Questions

• Examples of how I dealt with diffiicult customers - I had to give specific examples of how I behaved in various situations.   Answer Question

Business Improvement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pearson (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was an average competency-based set of questions plus a presentation on the subject matter. It went well and I received good feedback, although in answering my final questions the interview gave away that they were afraid I would not enjoy the role based on my background, which I appreciated.

They said I would be notified of the results in a week's time. It is now more than a month and no one has come back to me with a yes/no answer. Whilst it is clear I did not get the job, I have e-mailed 2 different people in HR, who have stated they have no updates. When I called them this week, they stated they were still looking into finding an update and they would call back straightaway. Never heard back. Pretty disappointing experience.

Interview Questions

• Competency-based questions   1 Answer

Campaigns Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pearson (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

3 sperate interviews where met different staff - line manager, colleagues and head of department. Pretty standard first interview followed by, presentation in the 2nd conducted over the phone. Nothing difficult and pretty standard questioning throughout. 3RD stage interview more with he'd of dept - more troublesome - was asked the same questions as before but this time the answers where not seemed to have been liked. Also seemed to want agency experience which is a bit late in the day to pick up on. Strange arbitrary process.

Interview Questions

• Examples where you had used particular skills   1 Answer

QA Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pearson (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Contacted by their internal recruitment team who were very polished and professional. Following a screening call with them, was invited in for a face to face.

Met with hiring manager and two other senior team members in London office and following brief intro's from them, I was then asked the standard, "tell me about yourself and run through your CV for me" which never instills confidence, especially when a recently printed out copy sits in front of them with no notes scribbled down and you're the only one in the room who has a copy of the job spec.

I was then asked some of the most rudimentary questions you can be asked for a job of this nature and for good measure, every question was then invariably repeated but from an opposite perspective. Session was very scripted and had no flow or vibe to it. What was worse is that when they finally finished, I was given just four minutes to ask questions before they were due in another meeting which I used to try and get information about the existing team and what they were actually looking for (as that had yet to be discussed) for which i received vague responses.

I decided that this was a definite no before I'd even left the building however there is another stage for those that persist with a set of google hangout chats. This will be with people from the U.S. office and other locations as needed if you get past the hiring manager stage.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you advised against a project going live? When you advised against but they decided to go live anyway? Describe your management style? How do you know how much testing is enough? How do you know when to stop testing? Tell me about your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Assessment Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pearson (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

The process took a couple of weeks. I applied online on the website, and I was contacted within four days. I had a phone interview, and the person seemed pretty happy with my answers. I needed to travel to London for the interview with 2 managers. The interview lasted 90 minutes, it was so long and we went through all of the points on my resume. I needed to explain everything, and I answered lots of questions.
    I knew that the interview didn't go well because: 1) they mentioned nothing about the salary, 2) they mentioned nothing about the further steps. I even sent them a thank you note, but they never replied. I only know that I wasn't accepted because I checked my profile a few minutes ago and my status is now changed to "UNSUCCESSFUL".
    Worth it? Maybe. Would I do it again? No.

Interview Questions

• How do you make sure your students are learning? How do you usually test your students? Do you like to work on a team?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pearson (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Pearson highly favors using preferred vendor staffing companies for staff augmentation and/or direct placement. I had a phone screen with the staffing company, and then another with his account manager. The account manager submitted me to the company and they liked my profile, so the interview was scheduled rather promptly. Pearson likes group interviews. There will be people from the group you will work with and HR to participate in the group interviews. There were two rounds of interviews total. Since the company is global, the interview occurred via Google Hangouts with video feed. I interviewed with two people from Pearson initially, with whom I'd work with directly. This was the more technical interview round. There was a woman and a man interviewer. It was not very formal, but they asked rather direct questions about my experience. Since the first interview went well, I was scheduled for a second round of interviews with 3 people in leadership with whom I'd also directly work with, though not as much. I was informed the same day i did well in both interviews and an offer was extended. Both interviews were remote, even though they prefer on site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to work with difficult stakeholders. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What methodologies do you use form Project Management and which one do you favour?   Answer Question

Head of Vocational Qualifications Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Pearson (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

I had a 20m phone interview followed by two interviews in London. In each of the face to face interviews I had to prepare presentations.

After not hearing anything for two months and repeated contact, I was finally rejected with a terse email. On asking for a refund for travel expenses I was told that this is not Pearson's policy (apparently you have to ask beforehand). I was shocked that the company would be so tight and not care about creating such a poor impression to a candidate that had spent huge amounts of time on preparation, taken two days holiday from work and travelled to London twice. I won't be applying for any more jobs at Pearson.

Interview Questions

• Why I was interested in the role. What is my leadership style. How I would manage change in a dynamic environment. Subject specific questioning.   Answer Question

Security Analyst (Contract) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pearson (London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

I received a call from a recruitment agency saying that Pearson required a security analyst with skills in a number of areas that matched my expertise.
    I met with the interviewers at Head Office at 80 Strand, and we went into a meeting room where we spoke for about an hour.
    The interview was friendly and light-hearted, but focused on aspects relevant to the position.
    I met the recruitment agent for coffee after the interview, and the offer came through while we were still drinking coffee.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult people who seem to enjoy giving you a hard time?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy; Pearson offered a day rate and I asked for a slightly higher rate, so Pearson met my asking rate.