Peet's Barista Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 16, 2017

2.3

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayward, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peet's (Hayward, CA).

Interview

It was ok. I was my first ever job interview so I was really nervous. I was interviewed by the assistant manager and he was nice. I think he can tell I was nervous because of the way I was stuttering. He said I would need to go for a second interview with the manager and they'd get back to me in a few days. I called 3 times for the next few days and only gave me excuses so I couldn't get hold of the manager. Obviously I ended up not getting the job.

Interview Questions

• If there's a long line and customers are complaining, what do you do?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Peet's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peet's (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The assistant manager that interviewed me was the worst interviewer I ever had (and I had plenty). He didn't seem to care or even listen to what I was saying. He was too busy dozing off or talking to other people when I was speaking which was extremely rude. He made me feel inferior and the only time he even spoke more than ten words to me (aside from asking questions) was when he was criticizing me for not having enough customer service experience! Like hello? That's why I'm here..to get experience. I decided to tell him I was not interested in the position before he made a decision. I rather take my service elsewhere than to work for a jerk like him. What a waste of my time!

Barista Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Peet's.

Interview

The interview process was very casual, I had a friend that worked for Peet's and had referenced me to his manager. (The best way to get hired is if you have a friend that works for Peet's, or go to a Peet's job fair). I was called in for an interview, had a short conversation with the basic interview questions, and was hired on the spot. I think the in-person interview is basically just to screen that you're a reasonably nice person.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with stressful situations? What would do in the situation that the store is busy and the line is out the door?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Napa, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Peet's (Napa, CA).

Interview

Manager was tired/ yawning. Apologized for being out of dress code. Didnt seem very interested. Immediatly showed me they were low staffed and desperate. She was friendly though and laid back. Honestly not much stood out about it aside from her lack of professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Why i wanted to work there, why they should hire me. It was a very short interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Peet's (Boston, MA) in June 2017.

Interview

Fairly standard, routine list of questions to gauge how you might react in different situations and what your experiences have been like. Friendly and laid back, giving you a chance to be yourself and engage in conversation. I believe they like to get a sense of you more through conversation and meeting you than the list of questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult or frustrating experience and how did you learn from it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peet's (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

A quick interview (~30 min) with a preset sheet of interview questions. We made conversation before, during, and after about other topics and it felt very conversational and casual. The interviewer was obviously trying to get a feel of my personality and my work qualities.

Interview Questions

• Why Peet's?   Answer Question
    • If there is a long line and people are actively complaining about it, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • If it were busy and there was a task you needed to handle that you have never done before, how would you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peet's (Berkeley, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Came into the shop to be greeted by agreeable employees and the offer of a drink on the house. I was interviewed twice by two different people - each was personable and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Sell me something (could be anything - I chose a movie) that you've enjoyed recently.   Answer Question
    • What was a time in which you failed to communicate, and if you could do it over, what would you change?   Answer Question
    • Peet's five core values are mastery, passion, authenticity, community, ownership, and growth. Which of these stands out to you, and why?   Answer Question
    • What was a time in which you took on a job or responsibility, even though you were already busy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peet's (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Laid back, they just go through a packet of questions that are pre-programmed - ask you a lot about which values of the company fit best with you. Lots of questions are just about how you would handle customer service, whether that is asking about past jobs or just gaging to see how you might respond to a difficult customer or long lines. Very general and basic if you know the basics of customer service - aka customer always first kind of stuff.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a difficult time with a coworker or worked with people you didn't like? How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Peet's (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

They go off a script of about 10 basic interview questions and gave me some background info about the company. Why do you want to work here? What skills do you have that could be beneficial and what could you work on and so on. "How do you make sure you are on time?" was a question I didn't like because there really isn't a perfect answer for it.
    I was offered a drink right before the interview, but the manager was not as friendly as I would have hoped. Of all the questions he asked he filled out a couple words on his paper. He seemed like he wasn't even paying attention and had something better to do.
    The manager explained that baristas make minimum wage plus tips (approx. $1-2/hour) and can't work more than 20 hours a week consisting of shifts less than 5 hours. You get a dollar raise if you get promoted to a lead position. That is definitely on the low end of things if you ask me, especially with 3 years prior experience.

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Peet's (Oakland, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

It was a simple interview, sat down at a shop and waited for the store manager to come out and interview me. Not totally formal, and it felt more like a nice conversation than an interrogation. Even got offered a free drink so that was a perk. All the staff was courteous when I asked for the manager and it seemed like a good place to work.

Interview Questions

• What's a situation that you've had a problem with a coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question