Peet's Barista Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peet's Barista Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peet's (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

A quick interview (~30 min) with a preset sheet of interview questions. We made conversation before, during, and after about other topics and it felt very conversational and casual. The interviewer was obviously trying to get a feel of my personality and my work qualities.

Interview Questions

• Why Peet's?   Answer Question
  • If there is a long line and people are actively complaining about it, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question
  • If it were busy and there was a task you needed to handle that you have never done before, how would you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Peet's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Peet's (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

They go off a script of about 10 basic interview questions and gave me some background info about the company. Why do you want to work here? What skills do you have that could be beneficial and what could you work on and so on. "How do you make sure you are on time?" was a question I didn't like because there really isn't a perfect answer for it.
    I was offered a drink right before the interview, but the manager was not as friendly as I would have hoped. Of all the questions he asked he filled out a couple words on his paper. He seemed like he wasn't even paying attention and had something better to do.
    The manager explained that baristas make minimum wage plus tips (approx. $1-2/hour) and can't work more than 20 hours a week consisting of shifts less than 5 hours. You get a dollar raise if you get promoted to a lead position. That is definitely on the low end of things if you ask me, especially with 3 years prior experience.

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Peet's (Oakland, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

It was a simple interview, sat down at a shop and waited for the store manager to come out and interview me. Not totally formal, and it felt more like a nice conversation than an interrogation. Even got offered a free drink so that was a perk. All the staff was courteous when I asked for the manager and it seemed like a good place to work.

Interview Questions

• What's a situation that you've had a problem with a coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Peet's (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Found their ad on craigslist.com for their job fair. I went to the location it was held at. Filled out an application and submitted it. I just waited until they called my name for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Peets?
      Have you ever worked in a fast paced environment?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Peet's (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The HM I spoke with was an absolutely amazing person. She asked me only real relevant questions and was trying to get on a real personal level with me. Best interview experience I had since I left the military.

Interview Questions

• What is a coffee you enjoy the most?   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Peet's in June 2016.

Interview

I submitted an online application, and then went to the store to submit my resume and application as well.

They set up an interview with me a few days later, and I got a phone call offering me the position soon afterwards! The manager was super friendly, and made the interview comfortable and easy.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you handled a difficult customer situation.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Peet's (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Summary: Good interviews (nothing out of the ordinary), but they didn't even bother responding.

Applied online, got a call 2 - 3 weeks later. Phone interview, in-person interview with head barista, and interview with manager.

Phone interview was basic screening questions, what you'd expect from a normal interview. (Tell me about yourself, etc.) Only questions that caught me off guard were "sell me something that isn't tea/coffee" and "what do you do to stay punctual?".

Interview with barista was about past work experience and situational questions, particularly about communication. (E.g. How do you get to know your coworkers? What do you do in an unfamiliar work setting?) It was pretty comprehensive and pointed.

Interview with manager was very, very short and was only 2 questions about my work history. Manager said he'd get back to me on Monday. (~5 days.)

Interview process itself was not bad, and I enjoyed it! It was a bit more detail-oriented than usual, but I liked that. However, they did not even bother to get back to me when they said they would.

Called them twice as a reminder, but the manager said something along the lines of " We're busy but we will get back to you", and never did. I wouldn't have minded even getting a no at that point, but it was unprofessional of them to not bother responding, even after they were reminded twice. I understand being busy, but for a business that prides themselves on their dedication to their customer base, this is was a pretty poor display.

Would recommend applying, but don't be surprised if they leave you hanging at the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Napa, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Peet's (Napa, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Very basic questions. Interviewer seemed lifeless and uncaring. She read off a script. It felt like a test, wouldn't recommend especially because it gives away a feel of what working there would be like... dull!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Peet's (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was laid back, quick, and to the point. I got a phone call the day after I applied online asking me to come in for an interview the next day. The in-store interview was easy, with surface level questions. The manager was very organized and no bs. I was hired on the spot.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Peet's in August 2015.

Interview

Interview was far in the western side of Hollywood. Managers were extremely nice. They ask if I wanted coffee or water. I honestly did not like how far the place is.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience in customer service?   1 Answer

I am sure there are better opportunities, below minimum wage is not enough for a demanding job.