Peet's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Peet's

2.2

Corporate Quality Assurance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peet's (Alameda, CA).

Interview

I applied for the position online, and within 1-2 weeks I received a call to set up phone interviews. Within a matter of days I had an over-the-phone interview with their Corporate Recruiter, hiring Manager, and subsequently to meet me in person (all flights were paid by Peets). Upon arriving I was interviewed by 5-6 management and upper management team members which lasted a full 6-7 hours. This is where I had the opportunity to learn more about Peets culture, and high level of quality they bring to the market. Overall I was impressed, and couldn't wait to hear if I got the job or not.

A few days went by and I received a phone call from the same Corporate Recruiter telling me that. I was extatic to hear from the recruiter that the team was impressed and that they were offering the job to me.

THIS IS WHERE I WAS SURPRISED:
    The recruiter stated that the salary they are willing to offer me is a whole $20,000 less than I originally indicated on my job application and also mentioned once again verbally. I understand that these are typical recruiter tactics, however I politely stated that the salary I previously mentioned was my lowest. (If you know my salary requirement why interview me and fly me out?) At this point the recruiter stated that he will have to discuss this with his team. I then received a phone call a week later stating that he was " working things out with the accounting department" and that we should have a final offer in writing by the end of the week. That week came and went, and naturally I began to think that something wasn't right. I then called and emailed the recruiter regarding the job and eventually I received the most awkward email that any HR department would shake their heads at....see email below.

Interview Questions

• How did you challenge the status quo in getting food safety and quality issues resolved?   Answer Question

After our last discussion concerning your expected compensation for the Corporate QA Manager position, we realized that may have to adjust our compensation target. In doing so, this brought to mind other qualified candidates who we had not pursued due to their compensation requirements. Therefore we have decided to extend our interview period to include those candidates. We would like to keep you in our active consideration for the position but we will not be in apposition to make a final decision until after the first week of January 2016."

After this time came and went ,I didn't receive any kind of follow up from the recruiter. Eventually due to lack of professional courtesy to simply tell me that I was or wasn't being considered, I sent an email stating my withdrawal from the candidacy. If this was an indication of business practices at Peets corporate level, maybe I lucked out.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Peet's (San Ramon, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

The Regional Manager that I interviewed with was very knowledgable of the process and product. I was made to feel at ease with him and had no problem connecting on a communication level. I felt that the location could have been improved upon. Sitting inside the store with other employees and customers around was not ideal. The interviewer was looking for very specific answers and told you immediately how my answers measured up.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite drink here?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Peet's.

Interview

Networking.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Peet's (San Carlos, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

It took over a month for the first meeting. I had to call over & over to get an interview. The manager read a script. Not allowed to ask his own questions. Promised the Assist. Manager job after I learned the shift lead position. After 2 years of being lied to, I moved on.

Interview Questions

• Can you be here at 4 am everyday?   2 Answers

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Peet's (Emeryville, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Went in to interview with the Hiring manager and another manager directly. Interview with Hiring Manager was well, she asked basic questions. Had the WORST experience interviewing with the other manager. He had no manners in interviewing and extremely offensive person, not professional at all. I wanted to walk out of the interview but didn't want to be rude so stayed. It seemed he wasn't interested in interviewing but interrogation instead, trying to find fault in anything/everything I said. Based on this interview, I have horrible expression of working for Peet's and never even bothered to send a Thank you, just not interested in them at all. Interview is a two way street, but Peet's doesn't have this notion. I think they felt that by granting interviews, they are doing a favor and won't attract quality candidates. I do not recommend that company to anyone.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peet's (Lake Forest, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

It was pretty easy, overall. She asked me the usual questions. We laughed and joked a lot, so that made me feel a lot comfortable. We sat outside, and she made sure that I didn't want anything to drink before we started.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valencia, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Peet's (Valencia, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Asked the typical questions, not too intimidating. Applied online then went in-person to hand in my resume and introduce myself, was offered an interview for the following Monday. He told me there would be room for advancement from cashier to barista, and every 6 months there would be a review with the ability to earn a pay raise.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • Sell me something.   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time you had to work with someone that you really butted heads with.   Answer Question
    • What's an ideal team for you?   1 Answer

HQ Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Peet's (Emeryville, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

Short, individual interviewer questions were their own - didn't seem to have a "company" process for it. Seems like departments run separately and they are in an identity crisis as a company.

Interview Questions

• What kind of process have you used in the past   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Peet's (Emeryville, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee at Peet's who I had previously worked with at another company. I then contacted the hiring manager, expressing my interest and forwarding my resume. After back-and-forth emails, the recruiter contacted me to set up in-person interviews and to arrange travel (as I was coming from out-of-state). The recruiting process and the interview scheduling were seamless, and the recruiter was always available to answer any questions that I had throughout the process. I met with six different people over the course of two days, and was even taken out to lunch on the first day.

Interview Questions

• The questions revolved more around describing my past roles and experiences, and their applicability to the current open position. A lot of the questions asked were probably more about personality fit, as the company is very small and everyone works very closely with one another.   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Peet's (Emeryville, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Initial communication was by email with friendly and attentive HR staff. An in-person interview was scheduled within a few days. I went into the Emeryville office for multiple one on one interviews with three of the dev team members, an IT PM, and the VP over IT. (5 total interviews in ~4 hours) Surprisingly, no technical questions were asked during and of the interviews. I was given a laptop, Visual Studio, and some time to complete a very basic skills test. An offer was extended by HR the next morning.

Interview Questions

After spending one on one time with dev team members, they each made it clear that they were unhappy with their jobs for multiple reasons (project manager, technologies, pay, etc). Essentially, I declined their offer due to the depressing team morale and work environment, old technologies, and the offer was well below the market rate and was ~20% below what I was being paid at my current position. I left the interview feeling bad for the current development team and I really appreciated their honesty.