Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 6, 2017

2.5

Market Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with three individuals from the company 1:1. They wanted to get a grasp of why I wanted to work there, what my background was, my interest in the industry, and if I was a fit there (personality, etc.)

Interview Questions

• Why PSB? What were my past experiences in marketing research? Familiarity with the industry.   Answer Question

Market Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in October 2014.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and called me for an initial phone interview. She just went over my resume with me and said it seemed like I had a good background for the position and that she would send me the standard interview assignment.

The assignment was long, but not too difficult and probably took me a total of four to six hours to complete. When I sent it in, I got an e-mail from the recruiter immediately to tell me it was under review and she'd contact me the following week with feedback. After two weeks, I got an e-mail saying the assignment was still under review, but she would tell me whether they wanted to move forward with me soon. When two more weeks went by, I e-mailed her asking for an update and...nothing.

I took another job when it became obvious they were never going to respond to me. Apparently, they're fine with wasting your time with a lengthy assignment, but can't even type out a "Thanks, but no thanks" e-mail.

Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (Bellevue, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

Submitted a presentation that's primary focus was to see how your problem solving skills are, three person interview afterwards where they asked basic questions about my past work experience, how I went about the assignment/presentation, and what my opinions and knowledge was of technology/Microsoft

Interview Questions

• What is your opinion of Microsoft?
      What do you know about PSB?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in May 2014.

Interview

Campus Recruiting. Conducted Tests and extensive interview. They were very professional in their process. They provided me with data and asked me to give the insight that I obtained from eyeballing the data set

Interview Questions

• How would you design a communication strategy in a crisis?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

Went through Campus hiring process. Submitted a resume and cover letter via my school's career website. The first round was a 30 minute interview on campus with someone from HR. The interview was really easy and was mostly a walk-me-through-your-resume interview, with some questions about why PSB and why market research. After that, you'll be given a short, simplified data set and will be asked to create a 10-slide powerpoint presentation on the data. Both the analysis and overall look of the powerpoint are important. Unfortunately, this will probably be around midterms/spring break. After this, you will come down to the DC office for a full day of interviews. You'll meet with analysts, PMs, a Director, and then the MD of the DC office. All will be relatively relaxed and behavioral/fit - no cases. People may ask you to walk them through how you did the ppt exercise however. But mostly questions about college, internships, why PSB/market research, and then behavioral questions. You'll also have a casual coffee break with analysts. Overall, this process will take a while, about 2 months.

Interview Questions

• - Tell me about a time you made a mistake
      - Tell me about a time you had to learn something quickly, like a new software product, and how you accomplished it
      - Tell me about a time you had to handle a lot at once   Answer Question

Negotiation

They will tell you that they do not negotiate and that everyone starts at the same salary level. This may be somewhat true in that there is limited flexibility but I also know that they have negotiated. For example, pushing back start dates, increase to annual salary, having them pay for housing, getting them to pay for moving costs. Push as much as you feel comfortable, knowing that the 'we don't negotiate' line is not true.

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

The interview process took about 45 minutes. I met with three people - two analysts and a project manager. The questions were almost entirely behavioral (this job definitely involves on-the-job training, you're not expected to know how to use any of their programs when starting). The office is quite collaborative so they're looking for people who are excited about working on a team. Having interest or experience in market research is an obvious plus. I was called back within a week and offered the internship.

Interview Questions

• There was one "case" question about a chart that would be used to report the data. I absolutely failed that question and had to have it repeated several times. I have no idea how you would be expected to answer the question if you hadn't had exposure to market research in the past (which I hadn't) but other than that, the questions are easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, interns get paid $10/hour. I was able to set my own schedule though.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (Washington, DC) in May 2013.

Interview

Informal coffees with HR, followed by in-person interview with VP of team, then CEO of office. I directed the pace, as HR reached out to me and made me an offer to consider moving to PSB. It was a few months of getting to know the office and the people.

Interview Questions

• What is it about PSB that attracted you? What is it about public affairs work that interests you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, i was able to negotiate base pay and also a guaranteed bonus during the first year.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in April 2013.

Interview

Pretty casual interview. Interviewer was senior management and an analyst later joined the interview. Business casual for them. Asked to go through resume, interest in the industries I would be working with. Talked about other casual stuff. Got along pretty well but didn't think the senior management interviewer was super enthused for whatever reason.

Demonstrated some of their big-time client work which was impressive and sort of outlined what I would do.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates.

Interview

There was a little back and forth and I was hired pretty last minute as an intern. At first I was told that they expected interns to work 28 hours a week, but then it turns out our set up changed so I only worked 20 (which was fine by me!) since there were two interns for our team.

Interview Questions

• Pretty straight forward interview, asked about my math, writing, and foreign language skills, nothing that really threw me for a loop though.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

I was contacted 2 weeks after submitting my app and phone screened by someone junior in the dept. I was called in for a mtg w/ the team and VP and given a take home assignment. All was going great except like many people have posted, after I spent 3 entire days on it, I heard nothing, even despite two pings about where I was in the process. So for those working and with many personal obligations, think twice about completing any writing or powerpt exercises. All that effort might not even be acknowledged.

Interview Questions

• The work environment is very demanding and can be stressful. How do you handle stress?   Answer Question