Penn State Erie Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Penn State Erie Interview Questions

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Penn State Erie

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Penn State Erie.

Interview

There were no "gotcha" questions. Interviewed with potential supervisor and various faculty and staff members. Later interviewed with just supervisor and had skills testing (basic Excel, writing an email). Met some staff members.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, what sort of experience do you have working with faculty/students, how do you handle conflict, what workflows have you improved (time/efficiency), why do you want to leave current employer, experience working as a team?   Answer Question

Housing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erie, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penn State Erie (Erie, PA) in November 2011.

Interview

I was called for a phone interview several months after applying for this position. I was invited to campus for an interview a few weeks later. Lodging accommodations were lovely, but the hotel was a significant distance from campus which was inconvenient (dare I say inconsiderate) for an 8 a.m. start time and this also automatically made me curious if not apprehensive about the immediate area.

Throughout the day, various interviewers asked me several times if I noticed any "red flags" about the position/institution.

Still, after a thorough and very comfortable interview/introduction process with a bevy of department employees and associates I was quite optimistic about the possibility of working at the Behrend campus. However, my excitement was short lived due to 1. a slightly awkward campus tour that did finally lift some of those asked-about red flags and 2. the 20-minute wrap up with the supervisor for this position. After a very long (and cold) day, I had the last-minute, very unexpected surprise that the live-off housing position I was applying for would pay at least $15,000 less than the live-on position I currently held.

But wait, it gets better. ... I did not let on that I was surprised and discouraged by the salary disclosure and I was told that my references would be checked the following week and I should expect the background check process to begin soon. I was one of three total candidates who were invited to campus. Well, none of my references were checked nor was the background check initiated. The week after my interview, news of the Penn State sex abuse scandal broke and I respectfully decided not to call and bother anyone with petty questions about my candidacy during such a difficult time for the university.

Unfortunately, the way I learned I would not be offered a position was not by letter (or more appropriately at this stage, a phone call) from the position's supervisor or human resources associate. No, more than a month following my interview, a public repost of the position was my first clue that I was no longer being considered for it. Out of sheer curiosity, I had to call and was told the department still needed to find the "best fit" (personality) to fill the position. That's right. After what seemed like a very lengthy and bureaucratic process, the selection committee was not satisfied by ANY of the final three candidates they brought to campus for an EXEMPT ADMINISTATIVE position that pays less than what I earned waiting tables in college.

I consider it a blessing that I did not have to learn the hard way that the personalities in this very proud department are so picky and presumably hard to please.

Interview Questions

• Have there been any red flags about working here so far?   Answer Question

Preschool Teacher Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Penn State Erie.

Interview

Application, Resume, Cover Letter

Short phone interview

Face-to-Face Interview

Offer made via phone call and email

Interview Questions

• All the questions were typical questions expected to be asked in a teaching/education field. All teachers are required to have a degree. So, if you have common sense and a natural ability to teach then, you will be just fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There isn't one. You take it or leave it.