Penn State University Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Graduate Research Assistant

Penn State University Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at Penn State University

2.7

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penn State University.

Interview

Professors that students are interested in are in charge of interview process. A few phone interviews from the professors followed by an on site interview organized by the department.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Penn State University

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA) in August 2013.

Interview

There was no interview. The selection was on basis of merit, GRE, and TOEFL scores, recommendation letters, and statement of purpose. The whole process took about three months and the decision was informed via email.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview. The selection was on basis of merit, GRE, and TOEFL scores, recommendation letters, and statement of purpose.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in January 2013.

Interview

Arrive at the Nittany Lion Inn on day one. Have dinner with some grad students and professors. Next day full of interviews with prospective faculty. Then enjoy a night out with grad students.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University in March 2016.

Interview

I had a skype interview since I was an international student. We discussed my research experience, projects, coursework, educational background and research interests. We went into why I was particularly interested in this department and what career plans I had after graduation.

Interview Questions

• Questions about current research experience, projects, coursework, educational background and research interests. Concluded with a little bit about my hobbies. One question that stood out for me was about how I dealt with stress to publish.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview process is straightforward. Send your resume to the concerned professor who works in your area of interest. If the professor does not respond, send him a reminded after few days. If that does not work, go to his office personally and ask for an appointment. Once he gives an appointment,describe your interest enthusiastically.

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in June 2012.

Interview

Spoke with the professor who wanted to hire me, paper work got done in a day. Started getting paid within a week. Also It was helpful to attend the seminars and presentations of the professor prior to the interview. Maybe even take his/her course

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in "?" research problem. What do you understand by this topic etc   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process depends on which professor and which research group you want to work with. Depending on that, you may be called for a face-to-face interview with the principal investigator of that team.

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA) in February 2014.

Interview

Discussed research interest with potential advisors after emailing all of them to let them know I was looking for a graduate research assistant. The interview process included both personality questions and technical questions. The technical questions were oriented at figuring out if previous experiences were a good match with the advisor's research expectations.

Interview Questions

• Q: Coding questions
      Q: Past experiences
      Q: Reserch interests   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in January 2012.

Interview

It was a three step interview process. I am an international student, so the were all telephonic interviews. Three different professors interviewed me, there were few technical questions in first two interview. Third interview was pretty much trying to convince me that it is a good school and why I should join them.

Interview Questions

• some technical questions about troubleshooting PCR. Rest were just chit chat, perhaps they were testing my communication skills.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA) in February 2011.

Interview

Met one-on-one with future adviser and other faculty involved in the grant I would work on. Was reimbursed for visit to the campus (flights, hotel, and meals). Very good interview experience. Was given introduction to the Department with another four perspective students. I don't think many Departments do group interviews of potential students any more. It is very one-on-one with your future (potential) adviser.