Penn State University Graduate Student Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Penn State University Graduate Student Interview Questions

Interviews at Penn State University

2.6

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA).

Interview

Included a phone interview then in-person interviews at Penn State (with a little bit of money to help with the travel, but not fully covered). The in-person interview was 3 nights and 2 days, with the first day being casual, and the second day full of one-on-one or group-on-one interviews with faculty members. I left feeling like I only had a little time to really chat with my person of interest, but ultimately the in-person is not about assessing your skills and more about assessing your personality and your inter-personal fit with the community that's already there.

Interview Questions

• Mostly they wanted to hear about research and what I want to study. Other times it was tough to get a word in because the faculty member would spend a lot of the (relatively little) time talking about her or his own research, so in those cases it was better to just ask an insightful question or end with a suggestion for future research.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Penn State University

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in April 2013.

Interview

I emailed my potential advisor (one of the top people in my subfield) after I applied and he replied within eight minutes! We spoke twice on Skype and he was very interested and supportive of my plans. Later that month, I sneaked out on my lunch break and talked to the department chair and other faculty members, who were also very interested in my research and teaching plans. Later that week, I got an offer with a 15,000/year assistant-ship and $750 entrance scholarship. Several days later, I received confirmation that I would have a federal grant worth $20,000/year with $2,000 in conference travel, 1,000 in book allowance, and $600 in book allowance. Later that year, my advisor offered me $2,500 in summer teaching. Therefore, my total compensation is the same as when I was teaching prekindergarten in the South: 42,500.

Interview Questions

• What my research interests were?   1 Answer
    • What my teaching interests were?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in July 2011.

Interview

Had to request an interview with the specific professor I wanted as an advisor. There wasn't any formal interview process, but I was expressing interest in the program, and they seemed to appreciate my willingness to come talk about possible opportunities. We mostly discussed my class and research background and how I might fit into the research projects ongoing at the lab.

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

Apply and wait for acceptance, there are no interviews. They consider grades and research experience

Negotiation

None, there is base pay for graduate students

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA).

Interview

Graduate student interviews vary depending on the department. Most interviews will be a basic conversation with a few faculty members and possibly visiting with some current graduate students. Some departments have fun, exciting people while others have faculty that are simply using graduate students to fulfill their current research projects.

Interview Questions

• What faculty member do you want to work with? In many departments, you must have an academic adviser picked out prior to being accepted.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation as a graduate student. You either get an assistantship or you don't. There are often other scholarships you can also apply for within departments.

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penn State University in March 2009.

Interview

Since I was applying for graduate students, most of questions were about what I did in the college. The professor, who is also the director of the program, asked me some questions about the basic concepts of the area. Then we moved our discussion from academic to the life in Penn state. It was very relaxing during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe what you did in xx project.   1 Answer