Penn State University Interview Questions in Pennsylvania | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.6

Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Interview

It was very intense. We were to meet with more than 5 faculty members and talk to them. They can range from mild to aggressive. Be prepared about your previous research and also study up on the professors and their area of expertise. They will ask you about how much you know about them

Interview Questions

• Mostly about research interests, and what you foresee working on in the program   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA).

Interview

A professor sent a department-wide email asking for graduate students to volunteer to be TAs. I replied with a list of the courses that I was hoping to TA... No response, for two months. I decided to speak directly with the professors of the courses that I wanted to TA, and soon found a good match. No further interview was necessary, the professor took care of assigning me to be his TA, and the checks started rolling in as soon as the class started.

Interview Questions

• Will you please TA one of the chemical engineering courses next semester?   1 Answer

Computer Lab Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA).

Interview

Received a call from the hiring manager to set up an interview. Went to his office for an interview. Manager was very kind and worked with two other managers. Only got interviewed by the one. Customer service skills are very important as well.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Middletown, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Penn State University (Middletown, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

There's no need to stress because interview process was easy. They do not require that much from you. It's an on-campus job, so it is basically they hire on a need basis.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Clinical Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

there was a one-day long interview process, with the entire department individually, plus group review of me actually teaching a class in the school (on the same day as the one on one interviews)

Interview Questions

• what can we answer for you?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

Interview

Technical interview with lots of questions from your resume. Also, they will go through your academic performance and will ask relevant questions from your coursework. Finally, your performance in course project plays a key role.

Interview Questions

• What are the course projects that you have done and how can it be further improved?   Answer Question

Cocurricular Programs Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

After the application there were two rounds of interviews. The first was with a group of five people involved with or related to the job. The second interview was divided into two parts: one part with the same group from the first interview and the second with administrators.

Interview Questions

• The first interview was a behavioral interview. The first part of the second interview was a follow up on answers from the first interview. The second part of the second interview was a more administrative, traditional interview. Focused on qualifications and fit for the position.   Answer Question

Marketing Strategy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Penn State University, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Penn State University (Penn State University, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with 7 members. It was a little intimidating but I got a call for an in person interview the next day. I was asked to created a poster and give a presentation on my design process. I then met with the promotion staff and operations staff. Very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you respond to criticism?   1 Answer

Wasn't the right fit

Research Technologist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University (Hershey, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I got the interview with the Assistant professor of Neural and Behavioral Sciences at Penn State University (Hershey, PA) in September 2016. It was one face to face meeting with the Assistant Professor. I had to wait for the official offer from the HR department in about 1 month.

Interview Questions

• The Professor was just basically explained what his laboratory research is doing and such. He asked a question about my experience in research, specifically in designing forward and reverse primers.   1 Answer

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA).

Interview

Included a phone interview then in-person interviews at Penn State (with a little bit of money to help with the travel, but not fully covered). The in-person interview was 3 nights and 2 days, with the first day being casual, and the second day full of one-on-one or group-on-one interviews with faculty members. I left feeling like I only had a little time to really chat with my person of interest, but ultimately the in-person is not about assessing your skills and more about assessing your personality and your inter-personal fit with the community that's already there.

Interview Questions

• Mostly they wanted to hear about research and what I want to study. Other times it was tough to get a word in because the faculty member would spend a lot of the (relatively little) time talking about her or his own research, so in those cases it was better to just ask an insightful question or end with a suggestion for future research.   Answer Question