Penn State University Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Penn State University Research Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Penn State University

2.0

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA).

Interview

Very nice and helpful people, easy to talk to. They made sure that I was comfortable, and went through the process fairly smoothly. A lot of behavioral questions, so be sure to know about past experiences you've had and how they will contribute to your time at Penn State. Also be sure to know about the history of PSU ( not just about football!) and why you would be a good fit for their environment.

Interview Questions

• What have your past experiences done to prepare you for this position? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why do you think we should hire you over another candidate who wants this position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Penn State University

Research Associate Interview

Interview

It depends on the PI. In my case, I had a phone interview first, and then had an on site interview. But the PI already made a decision beforehand. I met the people in the lab as a future coworker, and gave a presentation what I was working with.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Some faculty talked to me over skype they asked me several questions about my advisor university career goals and they said they will inform me later.

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in March 2009.

Interview

I first connected with faculty in the department in which I wanted a position. What was available at the time was an advertised position that I qualified for and the faculty member put me in touch with the person needing a research associate. I sent my CV and we emailed back and forth informally as the employer checked on my references (mutual acquaintances). I was invited out to interview in-person for two days. They hosted the visit and did an excellent job of hosting by making me feel welcome, taking care of all travel and expenses, made sure I was taken out to meals with other faculty, staff, and students, and included me in standing meetings all to get a feel of the environment. About a week later, I was offered the position and if I tentatively agreed to the arrangements then they would start the paperwork. I believe the interview process was less about my abilities (since my CV, references, and job talk spoke to that) but was more about gauging my work style and how well I fit in with the culture there.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was "what do you think?" regarding the position without any clear description of the expectations or responsibilities. There was no difficult question related to skill or competence that was asked of me.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate anything which I think was based on my naivete and level at which the employer saw my skills. I don't have evidence of this but I think if I had been more assertive or aggressive, I would have been able to negotiate at least moving expenses or a higher start rate. I hesitate to say this because I think it was the nature of the person hiring me.

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in July 2008.

Interview

The interviewing process was very short. I spoke with 4 people but there really wasn't a position.

Interview Questions

• Didn't know if they had a job so they couldn't ask many questions   Answer Question

Negotiation