Penn State University Interview Questions in State College, PA | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 24, 2017

2.5

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA).

Interview

A professor sent a department-wide email asking for graduate students to volunteer to be TAs. I replied with a list of the courses that I was hoping to TA... No response, for two months. I decided to speak directly with the professors of the courses that I wanted to TA, and soon found a good match. No further interview was necessary, the professor took care of assigning me to be his TA, and the checks started rolling in as soon as the class started.

Interview Questions

• Will you please TA one of the chemical engineering courses next semester?   1 Answer

Computer Lab Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA).

Interview

Received a call from the hiring manager to set up an interview. Went to his office for an interview. Manager was very kind and worked with two other managers. Only got interviewed by the one. Customer service skills are very important as well.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

Interview

Technical interview with lots of questions from your resume. Also, they will go through your academic performance and will ask relevant questions from your coursework. Finally, your performance in course project plays a key role.

Interview Questions

• What are the course projects that you have done and how can it be further improved?   Answer Question

Marketing Strategy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Penn State University, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Penn State University (Penn State University, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with 7 members. It was a little intimidating but I got a call for an in person interview the next day. I was asked to created a poster and give a presentation on my design process. I then met with the promotion staff and operations staff. Very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you respond to criticism?   1 Answer

Wasn't the right fit

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA).

Interview

Included a phone interview then in-person interviews at Penn State (with a little bit of money to help with the travel, but not fully covered). The in-person interview was 3 nights and 2 days, with the first day being casual, and the second day full of one-on-one or group-on-one interviews with faculty members. I left feeling like I only had a little time to really chat with my person of interest, but ultimately the in-person is not about assessing your skills and more about assessing your personality and your inter-personal fit with the community that's already there.

Interview Questions

• Mostly they wanted to hear about research and what I want to study. Other times it was tough to get a word in because the faculty member would spend a lot of the (relatively little) time talking about her or his own research, so in those cases it was better to just ask an insightful question or end with a suggestion for future research.   Answer Question

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA).

Interview

Interviewed with 4 faculty at Hershey, and then 4 faculty at University Park. It was a very long two days with a lot of talking, siting through presentations, lab and campus tours, lunches and dinners. It'll be very exhausting, but nothing difficult. It is very laid-back and casual affair, they mostly just want to get to know you and your background and personality. You'll only have to interview at both locations if your particular program is in both campuses. If it's only available at University Park then you'll only have 4 interviews.

Interview Questions

• They ask general education questions, research experience, publications, etc. Ask them about their research, tour their labs, and talk with their current students or post-docs. It was all very laid-back and the time goes by quickly. If the person your talking to isn't anti-social or awkward it can actually be very pleasant and fun.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

fairly informal, basically just sent out emails to interesting professors in the hope that they were doing research that I had interest in. If the professor got back to me, they basically said what they were researching, and asked for any experience that I had in this area. Even if the answer was very little, the interviewer looked for my interest in this area/ experience in similar areas.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with research?   1 Answer

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in University Park, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

My interview was over two days. It involved meeting with current faculty members and instructional designers. I gave a 50-minute presentation to a group of about 30 faculty members and graduate students concerning my research.

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through dice. Initially i got a phone interview where i was 7 questions about mvc,stored procedures,rest api,caching etc.second round was F2F in PSU, there were 4 interviewers in conference room i was interviewed about 2 hours. first one and half hour it went well and last half an hour they have given me a user story to develop application i didn't do that application well.

Interview Questions

• what is wcf,have you used it?   1 Answer
    • how to evaluate your performance in sql   1 Answer
    • do you prefer mvc or webforms   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA).

Interview

Very nice and helpful people, easy to talk to. They made sure that I was comfortable, and went through the process fairly smoothly. A lot of behavioral questions, so be sure to know about past experiences you've had and how they will contribute to your time at Penn State. Also be sure to know about the history of PSU ( not just about football!) and why you would be a good fit for their environment.

Interview Questions

• What have your past experiences done to prepare you for this position? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why do you think we should hire you over another candidate who wants this position?   Answer Question