PennyMac Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PennyMac Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2017

2.5

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at PennyMac.

Interview

I reached out to the PennyMac Human Resources, Talent Acquisition team to apply for the job a while back. Got confirmation for an interview, had a phone interview, then an on-site interview with two separate individuals, both on the VP to EVP level.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at PennyMac?   1 Answer

Business Control Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at PennyMac (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview went very smooth. Nice conversation with hiring manager and called back for second interview. I declined any further conversation due to company benefit package...two weeks vacation that must be accrued prior to use did not meet my needs. I would have accepted the position if benefits would have been more competitive.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PennyMac (Westlake Village, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Had screening phone calls with hiring manager and manager above. Went to location for in person interview to talk to them plus a couple of others. They were pleasant enough. Interview took place on the second floor where most of the employees were seated at very narrow long tables. Each person had two monitors in front of them and they were literally elbow to elbow. All I could think while I was there was - WOW- THIS PLACE WOULDN'T PASS THE TEST REQUIRED BY CALIFORNIA'S "HAPPY CHICKEN LAW". And for those of you who don't know, the law requires that chickens have enough room to get up and down and spread their wings comfortably without touching either the edge of their cage or a fellow bird. If these folks stretched their arms all the way out, they would indeed touch another person. Couldn't figure out how analysts could be fully productive with that kind of physical setup.

Interview Questions

• Asked some specific questions relevant to my knowledge of the mortgage industry   Answer Question

Summer Leadership Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at PennyMac.

Interview

Two interviewers, one that focuses more on finance (and is constantly asking about work experiences, finance, etc.) and one that focuses more on personality (what you're passionate about, how you work on a team, etc.), 1 hr. Only got through round 1 of interviews then no response, even though I sent handwritten thank you notes. The finance interviewer seemed very cold and calculating. Other Interviewer seemed forced nice. Overall I was left feeling strange, as if they hated me, but they said things as if they liked me, encouraging me to elaborate on things. Try to make sure your experiences are tailored towards finance, even though there are marketing divisions. One thing they mentioned made it seem like the company's leadership would be changing soon and things are unsettled there.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PennyMac (Dallas, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

It was very quick although very thorough. They really wanted to get to know me as a person, as well as my personality in the workplace. They ask me about my previous jobs and about my previous managers. How I got along with my co-workers in the past and how I feel I would do in the mortgage industry.

Interview Questions

• How would you be able to show that you were accountable?   1 Answer

Vice President Loan Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PennyMac (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The manager found my resume on Linked in. After a few days of back and forth, i call and we had an informal but in depth interview. The second stage was to talk with the president, and post that I was flown out to California to meet the team.

Interview Questions

• Since i am more of a seasoned employee, the questions were more geared to whether i saw their product offering as a good ft.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They presented the compensation package and i liked their offer.

Corporate Communication Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moorpark, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at PennyMac (Moorpark, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview, then I was asked to meet with people in-person. I met with two people in HR (including the head of HR), and people currently on the team, which took about 3 hours altogether. A couple of days later I had a phone interview/follow-up with another person in HR. Everyone was very professional and welcoming, and I could tell one of the primary concerns was making sure they found someone who was a good "fit" for the team. They wanted to see if I possessed complimentary skills that would make me an asset to the team rather than just finding a clone.

Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moorpark, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at PennyMac (Moorpark, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty normal interview. They went over my resume and discussed things. Asked some normal questions. Nothing very memorable. Lots of discussion about what the company's future looks like. They sold me on promotional opportunities because I was overqualified for the role. Those promises were untrue. Make sure you're interviewing for a position that matches your skill set and experience.

Interview Questions

• Why are manhole covers round?   1 Answer

Web-based Training Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorpark, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PennyMac (Moorpark, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. Had a phone interview followed by an in-person interview. I first met and interviewed with the lead. I was then given a tour of the facility and met with some of the other team members. Two of the team members came back to the conference room with us to finish off the interview process. I felt very comfortable with the group and their interviewing technique. It was a more casual but professional setting...if that makes sense.

Interview Questions

• What related software skills can you bring to the team?   1 Answer

Retail Loan Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moorpark, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at PennyMac (Moorpark, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The process took about 2 weeks. After applying, I received a phone call about 2 days later requesting for an interview. At first I thought it was a recruiter but when I received an email, the title of the person who called was an Operations Manager. There was a total of 3 Ops Managers that I had to interview with the day of the interview. Some of the questions were pretty basic and some industry based. Within 30 minutes of the interview, I could tell it was going well because they then invited their boss (the director) to interview me. So I assumed at that point, that this would be the real interview moving forward. A little intimidating at first but by the end of the interview I could tell they were pretty impressed with my answers. I received a call about a week later, stating that my background check cleared, and from there I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What loan products are you familiar with? Why should we hire you instead of the next person? What's your greatest accomplishment? Give us an example of how you dealt with an upset borrower in the past?   Answer Question