PennyMac Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

1. Featured Interview

Senior SQL Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moorpark, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PennyMac (Moorpark, CA).

Interview

My interview lasted several hours. At first I met with the hiring manager, who was very nice and asked me to review and comment on some code, go over some logical database design scenarios and review a scenario that he believed would be the upcoming project that I was being hired for. After him I met with some of the team members and their question were more of a “getting to know” you type. I also met with another manager, who asked some pretty odd questions. After that I was taken to another building and met with the Business Analyst I’d be working with and two of the users. I left the interview around 6:00 PM and got the call that I had the job by 10:00 AM the next day.

Interview Questions

• The hiring manager asked me some questions about relational vs. Star Schema. He also asked me to review some code and comment on it. I brought code samples with me and talked him though what I’d done and I think that really helped. The users mostly asked me what type of work I did and some general SQL questions, nothing too hard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorpark, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at PennyMac (Moorpark, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

Fairly standard interview. Met with three senior members of the portfolio team individually in a less-than-welcoming conference room (which may be by design). I was asked standard questions - "tell us about yourself", "why do you think you'd be a good fit", "tell us about a time you had to overcome adversity" etc.. with an occasional technical"test" question mixed in.

Interview Questions

• One of the senior analysts asked me to write out the formula for the standard deviation of a 2 asset portfolio.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PennyMac (Fort Worth, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

This took a while. I had 2 phone interviews with one person then came into the office to interview with another person who was also based out of CA. It was not a difficult interview necessarily but I was going for a junior position and was told later that technical interviews are usually much harder

Interview Questions

• Are you looking to move into a management role or are you content with being an analyst?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Interview

Reached out to a recruiter and sent my resume. Quick phone interview, second phone interview, then 3 in-person interviews on the same day. Took around a month. Everyone was really friendly and professional even the executives.

Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moorpark, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at PennyMac (Moorpark, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty normal interview. They went over my resume and discussed things. Asked some normal questions. Nothing very memorable. Lots of discussion about what the company's future looks like. They sold me on promotional opportunities because I was overqualified for the role. Those promises were untrue. Make sure you're interviewing for a position that matches your skill set and experience.

Interview Questions

• Why are manhole covers round?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PennyMac (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

First round was made up of two 30-minute on campus interviews. First of these interviews was fairly basic. The second one was a bit tougher, with the interviewer asking questions about Economic theories (I am an econ major). The second round interview was in their Westlake Village office, where I met with two C-Level executives. Each asked some more basic questions, nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PennyMac.

Interview

The initial screen was done by HR. The HR was much friendly and asked few questions about my prior experience and why I chose the PennyMac. Later arranged for a one-on-one with the hiring manager. It was a 1 hours interview and was simple, straightforward questions.

Business Development Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moorpark, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PennyMac (Moorpark, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Had a phone interview with the Executive Vice President of the Business Development Group. Talked about previous work experience and what interested me about PennyMac. After the phone interview I interviewed face to face with the EVP again, sat with a senior analyst and shadowed and performed some excel exercises. At the then I interviewed with the Chief of Business Development.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through some previous analysis you have done at prior jobs. What meaningful conclusions did you come to?   Answer Question

Mortgage Closer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PennyMac (Fort Worth, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

The initial face-to-face interview was fairly simple, and I was given a lot of details as well as a tour of the facility. Pleasant experience overall. From what I've heard it takes a while to get the background checks finished.

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorpark, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PennyMac (Moorpark, CA).

Interview

I received a call and an interview quickly, and after the in person interview I was asked for references which I provided. I followed up with an email to both a VP and a Recruiter. The VP never responded to me and twice the Recruiter said she would get back to me after I asked for the status of my candidacy. I never received a response.

Summer Leadership Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at PennyMac.

Interview

Two interviewers, one that focuses more on finance (and is constantly asking about work experiences, finance, etc.) and one that focuses more on personality (what you're passionate about, how you work on a team, etc.), 1 hr. Only got through round 1 of interviews then no response, even though I sent handwritten thank you notes. The finance interviewer seemed very cold and calculating. Other Interviewer seemed forced nice. Overall I was left feeling strange, as if they hated me, but they said things as if they liked me, encouraging me to elaborate on things. Try to make sure your experiences are tailored towards finance, even though there are marketing divisions. One thing they mentioned made it seem like the company's leadership would be changing soon and things are unsettled there.