Pentaho Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

3.2

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pentaho (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

Short and very poor in process. Pentaho not a place for those which don't want to be bogged down by corporate" Big Brother" and metrics!,,,, Executive management not there to provide leadership or strategy. Purely there to monitor your activity to make them look good and cover them with their management. Would not recommend to Senior or experienced sales people. They run the business as if you don't know what your doing. A my way or highway environment

Interview Questions

• How can you generate revenue?   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Pentaho (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview went very well with a telephone call and then a in person interview. It was weird. Several people were invited and only one Sales person joined the call while driving and the hiring manager was there in person. That shows how interested they were . I was told that they would setup a follow up and then I got an email telling that I had all the experience but they are not moving forward. I asked for a reason and I was given all nonsense excuses

Technical Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pentaho (Orlando, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

Two Telephonic Rounds, One Onsite Interview were held with a short time frame.
    The telephonic rounds were related to the job description and past experience.
    The onsite round was an elaborate personality round with leads from different teams.

Interview Questions

• Explain what makes you feel competent for this job?   1 Answer

Software Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Pentaho (Orlando, FL) in January 2017.

Interview

My interview experience with Pentaho was very interesting and pleasant. Love the people and the company culture. There were 3 phases:

1. On-campus: consists of 2 rounds of interviews. One technical and one behavioral.

2. Phone: one-hour phone call with a few members from the support department.

3. On-site: The company flew me to its headquarter in Orlando, FL. There were 4 one-hour interviews with different members of the support team.

The company fiscal year starts in April so there's some delay in the hiring process from January.

Interview Questions

• Basic Business Intelligence and Big Data questions e.g. difference between snowflake schema and star schema. Must know some SQL.

Describe a situation when you deal with:
      - a difficult customer
      - deadline/project prioritization
      - struggles in teamwork
      - pressure and stress   1 Answer

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pentaho (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I initially found the position on LinkedIn and applied.

After about a week and not hearing anything, I reached out to a recruiter that I knew was working with them and had her reach out to the hiring manager on my behalf. After addressing a couple concerns from the hiring manager regarding my background, the recruiter helped me schedule a conversation with him shortly thereafter. The conversation went extremely well; it went so well that he wanted me to meet his team in San Francisco the next day.

Scheduling the conversation was odd - they wanted originally to meet at a certain time, but then they asked if they could meet 15 minutes earlier and 15 minutes earlier after that. Considering that I had to drive in from the South Bay, I would have preferred that extra time to get there, but I accepted.

One noteworthy detail is that their office building is across the street from Embarcadero Center - it's not exactly a cheap place to park and they don't offer to validate parking (which they really should have done). I met with everyone in his team - each sharing with me that they thought I would be an excellent fit for the job and that they would try to coordinate a conversation with the hiring manager's boss the following week. I thought this was great news especially since everyone was going to be in New York for Strata. Each of them told me not to worry about it since the VP would not be going (the reality was she was not only going, she was speaking at the event). The following week came and I asked the recruiter to see when she wanted to talk and never heard anything back that week which was fine - I did not expect to have a conversation.

However, the next week came and went without a word from them as well as the following week. Considering how enthusiastic they were, I was really surprised by the lack of contact. I sent emails to the hiring manager and a number of the people I spoke with and didn't hear anything which was even more odd.

Eventually I managed to connect with the hiring manager once again where he promised he would call me later that week to discuss his thoughts. That time came and went as well; I reached out to see if he still wanted to talk - after a few days he wrote back and we scheduled a meeting at the HDS office in Santa Clara. I got to their office and checked in - no one had any idea that I was coming, but the receptionist said she'd contact him. Eventually he came about 20 minutes late and apologized. We found a conference room to talk where he asked me the same questions he asked during our initial call. At the end of the conversation, I asked him about next steps where he asked some additional questions. I thought that I resolved them because he said that he would then want me to talk to his boss (the VP mentioned above) and would get back to me with a time. Perhaps I was too eager because I asked him when he was hoping to schedule that. Looking back now, I realize he didn't provide a timeline.

Since I had another offer pending, I asked the recruiter to follow up with him. Long story short he decided to pass saying that even though I had the requisite skills, when looking at his team, he thought that I wouldn't be able to fit in.

I still am not exactly sure what that means because I know that I was given positive feedback by everyone I spoke with as well as knew many people who worked for them in the past and got along with them as well.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pentaho (Orlando, FL) in July 2016.

Interview

Many rounds, unsure of the entire benefit of meeting so many members in the team. Informational, first panel and then second panel. HR brought into the process at the end and provided an unorthodox personality assessment. All communication driven by myself and perhaps indicative of their culture - unsure.

Interview Questions

• Behavioural - do you ask permission or ask forgiveness later   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pentaho (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

STAY AWAY from this company. They are very unprofessional with their practices.

I met with at least 7 different people including the recruiter.

During the entire interview process, the recruiter I was working with from WillrecruitYou was very shady.

I did get an offer and didn't really even get a chance to accept it. It wasn't until i got the offer that both I and reps from Pentaho realized that the recruiter was lying to me on their behalf and lying to them on my behalf. This included details like total compensation, benefits, education reimbursement, "guaranteed" raises and promotions.

Timeline of events:
    -Got an offer - shortly realized with Pentaho rep that we were both being lied to
    -Got the REAL offer from Pentaho rep - it was 20% lower than the agreed upon offer from what the recruiter told me. After everything was cleared up, they gave me the chance to ask questions to clear everything up, said they would give me one day to decide and would not budge. Pretty UNREASONABLE considering for the 5 days I had the offer, IT WAS THE WRONG ONE. After saying ok you have 1 day to decide, 3 hours after we got off the phone, they emailed me withdrawing the offer.

STAY AWAY, FAR FAR AWAY!!!!!

They're cheap, won't negotiate at all, and can't be reasoned with. Who messes up an offer/expectations, then after they clear it up, they give you a day to decide and 3 hours later WITHDRAW the entire offer?!

Interview Questions

• Describe some of your past experiences and how you would use what you've learned in the past for this role.   Answer Question

Developer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Pentaho in March 2016.

Interview

They scheduled not one, not two, but three phone interviews. They set up an on-site interview and then inexplicably decided to add another phone interview instead.

The first interview was fine, some technical questions and some behavioral questions. The subsequent interviews were WEIRD. This company is shooting themselves in the foot by confusing candidates with nonsensical questions.

Interview Questions

• You come to a fork in the road; turn left to ask for forgiveness and turn right to ask for permission. Which path do you take?   1 Answer

Technical Support Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pentaho (Orlando, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Entering the office, you walk by the 'Tiki Bar' ( When I asked, the Admin said that it was 'OK' to have a couple during the day as long as you did not over do it), and was taken to a conference room, whcih was in terrible shape. Multi-tier interview process with 5 team members lasting the better part of a day. Very unorganized, very little process. Most of the managers were not prepared or had already formed an opinion. The expectation seemed to be that the person interviewed would ask all the questions and market themselves to the interview team. Finale portion of the interview was behavioral with a HR team member.

Interview Questions

• 1. Do you believe that past behavior predict the future behavior, if so why ?

a. He explained that some people do not want feedback after the interview

i. Why do you think this is the case ?

2 Between the age of 5-8 what subjects did you like in school ?

a. Between the age of 5-8 what activities you did in school ?

b. Between the age of 5-8 what activities you did outside of school?

3 Between the age of 8 - 11 what subjects did you like in school ?

a. Between the age of 8- 11 what activities you did in school ?

b. Between the age of 8-11 what activities you did outside of school?

4 Between the age of 11-18 what subjects did you like in school ?

a. Between the age of 11-18 what activities you did in school ?

b. Between the age of 11-18 what activities you did outside of school?

5 Do you stay in contact with childhood friends?

a. How many and Why?

6 Tell me something your family knows about you that no one else in the world does

7 Would you rather have a strong leader or a medium engagement leader

a. One word questions ,with one word describe :

b. Your Boss would say about you?

c. Your Peers would say about you?

d. Your employees would say about you?

e. Can you guess what my next questions is? Yes, what would I say about me? (Correct)

8 I am only going to say this once, so you will need to listen, then answer my questions.

a. Approaching a 'Y’ in the road, do you choose to ask forgiveness or permission

b. Why?

c.. What is the strategic value   3 Answers

Interview

In person interview or sometimes with a group of people. You will talk to people from the team and then the ISR manager. then a whiteboard presentation to show that you understand the technology

Interview Questions

• Whiteboard can be difficult and the manager changes her mood hourly so hopefully she's in a good mood at the time   Answer Question