Penton Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 15, 2016

2.9

Digital Content Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penton (Boulder, CO) in November 2016.

Interview

Started out nicely, but then interviewer started asking ridiculous questions, as if she was interviewing a college intern. Condescending, patronizing...questions circled around the business at hand. I had the impression that this person had very little interviewing experience.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what my "writing process" was. After 16 years of being a professional journalist and editor, my writing process is, 'get it done, make sure it's perfect, get it in on deadline.'   1 Answer

Marketing Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Penton (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process for this role spanned 6 full weeks and 6 separate steps, culminating in no offer and a delayed confirmation that another candidate had been offered and accepted the role. The 6 steps included:
    1. 3 assessment questions submitted via email, including a personal data analysis example
    2. Phone interview with hiring manager
    3. Phone interview with HR manager
    4. In-person interview, meeting 3 individuals (only 2 were scheduled)
    5. Additional assessment questions, this time with Penton data
    6. Follow up call with hiring manager

A full 3 weeks passed between step 6 and being informed that Penton moved forward with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with our chosen analytics tools (Knime, Excel, PowerPivot, GoodData)?
      What do you think we're looking for?
      Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Penton (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by the CEO's EA, the interview was long in length approximately 1.5 hrs. It was pretty laid back, I felt comfortable and confident, she asked a series of questions and appeared impressed with my answers and with my overall experience and technology experience. So, I'm thinking wow this is a good thing because of the length of the interview and the chemistry and my qualifications met their requirements. I sent the usual thank you for the interview email but no response from the EA or HR. One month later still no response so obviously I didn't get the job. I have consulted with HR professionals who say having EA's conduct "Interviews" is not a good idea..having them "meet" with the candidates is. So this EA decided that I wasn't a match for the position. When you get to a particular age and are of a particular race, it is very difficult to find a job and your self-esteem is easily shot to hell but you continue to look, get responses to your online resume and application, go on interviews, do well on interviews and then NOTHING. And knowing how reach age discrimination is....what else am I to conclude. It's immoral and it's sad.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with updating social media sites, like FB, Twitter   1 Answer

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penton (Boulder, CO).

Interview

Very personal an interview and introduction to the entire editorial staff in an open forum of back and forth learning about how I could fit in and what they were looking for. They after the interview they asked for me to participate in a "design test" to illustrate my vision for the redesign.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach leading the redesign of one of the publications.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ask for what you want, like with many employers there are some things they can budge on and some things they can't. Make a list of what is important to you and see what you can get to perk up your offer.

Managing Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penton in November 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, then in-person interview. The process was very laid-back, and my interviewers were wearing jeans. I appreciated how informal it was and how easy the conversation was, but I haven't heard anything back nearly two weeks later. They mostly wanted to know about me and whether the job would genuinely interest me.

Interview Questions

• They mostly asked about my previous job and wanted to get to know me. They asked if the job duties would interest me.   Answer Question

Writer Interview

Interview

Phone interview for a remote writing position. I was interviewed twice, first by the managing editor and second by my director editor. Both were very nice, and friendly, and kept the interview feeling more like a conversation than an actual interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my previous experience writing about technical topics.   Answer Question

Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Penton (Boulder, CO) in August 2015.

Interview

The entire interview process was great and I was really excited about this position. It was pretty standard, working through a company recruiter for an initial phone screen, then phone interview with the hiring manager, the team, and final in-person interview. Everything seemed average until I made it to the offer portion of the process. See below for more details.

Interview Questions

From the beginning, the recruiter and I were on the same page regarding salary requirements and I was led to believe that my range was well within reason; however, upon notification that I was the top candidate and they wanted to make an offer, I was informed that my rage was too high and that my current salary was actually was 20% more than they would be willing to offer. Instead of letting me see an offer letter to review the total compensation package, the recruiter kept asking for my bottom line (even though he already had my range) and would not provide an official offer until I agreed to their low-ball number. It was a complete waste of my time and the hiring manager's, which is quite unfortunate since we otherwise established a great connection.

It seemed to be an indication of the overall operation of the company, so I declined the offer.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penton.

Interview

Had a phone interview where they asked pretty basic questions about my goals and background. Made it to the in-person interview, which was pretty brutal. Be prepared to be asked extensively about your technical capabilities.

Interview Questions

• Interviewed by three people: manager, colleague, and the guy who's job I would be stepping into (he was leaving for grad school). Make sure you're comfortable in interrogation style interviews and a whiz at Excel!   Answer Question

Content Producer Interview

Interview

Very easy process. very accessible people. hr easy to work with. phone interview and in person. only two people making the decision. otherwise it was pleasant and what you expect from a normal interview. nothing out of the ordinary

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non existent

Technology Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Penton (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was pleasant although a long one.
    I interviewed with HR, twice with my editor-in-chief, the VP of Content, and the VP of Sales.
    I did appreciate it because I got to meet with a lot of different people and experience the work culture through our conversations.
    I was required to write test articles to evaluate my writing ability.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to write about the industry instead of working in the field?   1 Answer