Perfect World Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Perfect World Entertainment (Redwood City, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through Linkedin for an Engineering position. Received an invitation for a phone interview from my manager in the next day, who was really kind, making the phone interview a breeze. Three days later I received an email from the HR department willing to have me for an in-person interview which would last 2-3 hours. It took about half a week to schedule the in-person interview.

The in-person interview involved 4 rounds. First I was interviewed by my manager who asked questions about my previous experiences, my goals, my personality, but didn't shoot me any technical questions. After that, I had a very calm interview with the lead of another team which I would be working with quite often. Then, I was given a long technical paper exam that I couldn't finish within the time given. Next, I was interviewed by the team I would join, whose members discussed the way I approached the exam questions as well as asked questions regarding my previous experiences/projects. Finally, I was interviewed by the Director of Engineering, who was really chill and kind, not only asking smart questions but also providing me with great tips for the future. I could learn a lot about the company from him, since he's been working in the Engineering department for a long time.

I took 1 week to receive their offer by email, in which they asked me other 2 weeks to start. In total, the interview process since the application to the first-day at work lasted about a month.

Overall, I appreciated the opportunity to meet up with the team I would be joining. At that time I could have a little sense of whom I would work with everyday and how did they feel about my qualifications and limitations. The chance to have a talk with the Director of Engineering was also a huge gift since regardless of joining or not the company, I could go home carrying great tips from him.

At all times, in any interview round, I could ask my questions about the position, the company, daily basis, and where was the company heading to.

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Perfect World Entertainment.

Interview

Met with VP of BD. Smart guy with a some great Qs. 2nd interview was with Produces, General Manager and CEO.

Interview Questions

• "If you had the funding you needed what would Business endeavor would you put the money toward?"   1 Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Perfect World Entertainment in June 2017.

Interview

2 person phone call, The interviewer started of with a quick introduction of names and dived into a list of Linux questions. It almost seemed like he had list of questions he was asking from.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Perfect World Entertainment.

Interview

Had a phone call with the hiring manager after a few email coordinations with the HR department. The phone interview was quite stressful and a lot of technical questions were asked. Then I didn't hear from the company for another 3 weeks. During that time, I thought I hadn't passed and given up hope on the company.

Around 3 weeks later, I received an email from HR to say that they wanted to bring me in for an in person interview with 4 different people for 2 hours. It took us over 2 days to coordinate a time for me to come in because it took the HR department SO long to respond to my emails. I accepted and showed up for the interview that day. I thought I had a pretty good conversation with each of the people I met with and felt pretty good walking out the door that day. After my interview, HR manager told me that he would reach out to me by the end of the following week and give me an update.

I waited that week and a half and by the following week's Friday, I still hadn't heard back from the company so I decided to email and reach out to see what was going on. No response ever since that email I sent and I've moved on once again.

If they're going to take almost a month between each deciding process, they should really just not hire people until they're urgently looking for someone. The company clearly doesn't care about potential candidates' timelines.

Interview Questions

• Technical skills and previous work experience. Was also given a short (very impromptu) quiz during my in person interview.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Perfect World Entertainment.

Interview

I applied online through LinkedIn and got a reply within a week. The entire process probably took close to 2 months as I was out for 2 weeks for a vacation and my hiring manager was also out for 2 weeks. HR seemed very busy but somehow made it work.

I had one phone interview and then was immediately brought in for 2 in person interviews.
    The phone interview seems scripted and very focused on past experiences, technical skills. In contrast, the in-person interviews were more personable and had pretty straightforward questions. I met 4 PWE marketing team members and it was a great experience. They were super transparent about everything that's happened before in the company (big layoff, politics, etc) and was very optimistic and excited about things moving forward.

My 2nd interview was a coffee shop meetup, and it was more of a personality/cultural fit check than anything. Got an offer letter the next day and the rest is history.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for a video game company?
      What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Marketing Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Perfect World Entertainment (Redwood City, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process at PWE is pretty intense. After completing the initial phone screening, you'll go through several rounds of in-person interviews with different Perfect World team members. It's a long process but you actually learn a lot about the company and get a good sense of what the staff is like.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to go over your background/work experience several times!   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Perfect World Entertainment in April 2013.

Interview

I had two interviews, one with Human Resources and the other with the Controller. They were both very pleasant people and I was impressed with their overall professionalism yet felt comfortable in the more or less relaxed atmosphere of the interview. I did not feel nervous at all during the interview process.

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Perfect World Entertainment (Redwood City, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The first part of the process was a phone screen that took about 15 minutes, which outlined my experiences with Knockout.js and other front end Javascript technologies. I was able to ask several questions afterwards about daily work flow and culture. I was called into an onsite afterwards.
    The onsite was three hours, divided into three parts. The first hour was a written test consisting of 12 questions, with answers to be written out on copy paper. This was then analyzed by two engineers while the second part of the interview was conducted. The hiring manager and a QA engineer asked several questions about my experience with work and culture, and some technical questions about algorithms, although no white boarding took place. I was again allotted time to ask questions.
    The Third part of the onsite was reviewing my written test with the two other engineers on the team, and going over what my though process was for each. There was lots of discussion, and again, no white boarding. I was allotted time to ask questions afterwards.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Perfect World Entertainment.

Interview

Received a call to come into the office for an interview. No other specifics shared at that time. It would have been helpful to ask some questions regarding the genre of games previously worked on. They could have saved everyone's time by doing a proper phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Do not bother wasting your time if you have not worked on or play games other than MMORPGs. They are not interested in any candidates with experience creating or knowledge of other genres.   Answer Question

Web Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Perfect World Entertainment (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

I was referred to Perfect World Enterrainment by a friend. I had an inital phone screening and then got an interview right away. When I arrived I was escorted to a conference room and given a written PHP language test. They gave me 30 minutes with it and said to just answer what I could.
    After that, I met with two engineers who went over my test and asked me questions about why I answered the way I did. It was more of an exploratory look at my thought processes, not in defense of answers. They asked some additional questions on coding logic and database querying. The only issue I had here is, I wasn't up to date on my PHP5 knowledge and still was using PHP4.
    Then I met with the VP who asked me all sorts of questions. These were the usual high level, non-technical questions. He was mostly laid back and not really high pressure. Definitely less nerve wracking than the previous interview.
    The whole process took a few hours and after a few follow-up emails I was informed that another candidate had been selected.

Interview Questions

• How would you debug a feature on an already deployed site with the least amount of impact to users?   Answer Question