PetSmart Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.0

138 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PetSmart in November 2015.

Interview

Saw a new store opening applied online got a call the next day wanting me to come in for a interview
And it was basically really laid back and easy questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None you take what they give you

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

I went in and based on my application they saw all the time I have invested in animals (in previous jobs/volunteer work) and knew I was passionate about them. They honestly didn't ask my anything, just stated how pleased they were with what they saw on my application and I was a pleasant person, so I was offered a job on the spot (assuming I passed my drug test).

Interview Questions

• What is your goal in working here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PetSmart (Chantilly, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was in contact with the manager for a month before we set up an interview and another month before I actually started working there. Was well worth the wait I love my job although it isn't easy. Came in casual clothes, asked about my availability, my previous work experience a lot, how I handle certain situations that often happen in retail like dealing with a picky customer, which there are lots at my petsmart. My manager said he hired me because I smile a lot and seem very nice and positive, petsmart seeks that atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• What was a problem you've had at work before and how did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Do you have other commitments that might limit your availability? (Be honest they are willing to work with your schedule, like a second job or school)   1 Answer
    • Are you over 18?   1 Answer
    • How do you get to and from work?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

Easy stuff. Walked in sat down with two managers. They asked simple basic interview questions. After interview I was contacted immediately and offered job. One of the easiest interviews I have ever been involved in

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at PetSmart (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Very simple and brief. Store leader wave very friendly and quirky. Was asked to explain my previous job experience and what I did at my old job. Interview process was very easy since I have multiple years of cashier experience

Interview Questions

• Do you own any animals?   Answer Question
    • Are afraid of any animals   Answer Question
    • Explain past job experience   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a customer complaint   Answer Question
    • Are you able to push sell items (ie: would you be able to offer or ask the customer any additional items to go with their purchases; if a customer has a dog and is only coming in for dog food, would you be able to offer them a dog toy, dog treats, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a call a few days for a one on one interview. The manager didn't know that she was going interview me so it took a few minutes to get ready. I did not have any previous work experience and the questions mostly dealt with work experience. She skipped those questions and asked me a few basic questions like how I would deal with angry customers. It was a very short interview.

Anonymous Employee in Mechanicsburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Mechanicsburg, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

My interview took maybe 10 minutes. I was interviewed by one person and she was very friendly and down to earth. The questions weren't difficult. Mainly asked why I wanted to work there, if I had pets, some situational questions, etc. Got hired on the spot. I applied to be cashier but since I have owned many different types of animals in the past so she also suggested pet care. She liked that I had a lot of experience with animals and I made sure to include that I really love animals. Dress nice and be super friendly to make a good first impression. Took the drug test within the same day I got hired.

Interview Questions

• Why Petsmart?   Answer Question
    • What did you do in a situation where you didn't know the answer to something?   Answer Question
    • When was there a situation where you had to use teamwork to complete a task?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PetSmart (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online at the insistence of a friend who worked for that specific location. 3 days later i got a call for an interview . When I walked in I asked one of the employees for her , they were all very friendly i went in sat down with one of the managers ( theres like 15 different managers) . She was very sweet , and i didnt feel pressured or anxious at all during the interview . she spoke a lot, not only about the company but about her time with them and her move from another company (similar to Petsmart). She was very informed about the goings-on and I really liked speaking to her .

When i applied online I had open availability because I was unemployed, but by the time i went in i already had a job and this was just a second job, which didnt seem to matter ( sometimes employers dont like that ) she was still really considerate and tried to work out a schedule me around my other job and working with my schedule.

She told me that she'd call me in a few days to do the Drug Test, which she did.

Interview Questions

• Simple regular questions like other places - Tell me about yourself -   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PetSmart (Costa Mesa, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Like most any other interview. Nothing abnormal or out of the ordinary. I was disappointed though and here is why. I went in for an initial interview, a department manager interviewed me. The pro was she was kind, sweet and genuine. We talked alot and I felt we genuinely got along. I felt I answered all of her questions beyond satisfactory. Yet, the interview was lengthy and extensive. Because of the rapport I felt we built, and how well I felt I did in the interview I was quite disappointed when she told me that she was going to set up a second interview with the store manager.

I'm getting really tired of going through these extensive interviews for these entry level, no brained jobs, makes no sense to me.....get over yourselves!!!!

Then I did the second interview A WEEK LATER and just like the first interview, I nailed it. Yet I wasn't hired.......

Interview Questions

• Describe one time where you provided excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart in July 2015.

Interview

I got called for an interview a month after applying. It was a group interview with about 12 other people. We were interviewed by two people. With a group interview, they are looking to see how you are with multiple people, but it can feel like the hunger games in there. You have to be able to stand out in a group of people. Make sure you answer every question. And make sure that when they ask for questions at the end, you ask at least one. You want to look prepared in comparison to everyone else.

Interview Questions

• If you could be an animal, what would it be, and why?   1 Answer
    • What experience do you have?   1 Answer