PetSmart Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

2.1

Pet Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PetSmart (Northbrook, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview was fairly quick and easy. I interviewed for a part time position. I interviewed with the general manager and a man who I believe was the district manager. They were both very friendly. It was more like a conversation than a stern interview. The district manager gave me a tour of the store and more details about the job position, what expectations would be, and general job requirements. I was then taken back to the general manager who asked me a few more questions. I was then offered the position. PetSmart does does ask employees to consent to a drug screening and background check, as well.

Interview Questions

• Why PetSmart?   1 Answer
    • If you could make a hybrid of two animals which would you choose?   Answer Question
    • Tell us a story about one time you had a difficult customer. How did you resolve the situation?   Answer Question
    • Are there any animals you're not comfortable handling/working with?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PetSmart (Merrillville, IN).

Interview

The process was short and quick to become a pet-care specialist. I was trying to apply for management position and they said they promote well in the store. I can be hired as a pet care lead and work up to management.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PetSmart (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Got a quick phone interview first, then a group interview. 3 total interviews before hired. Two were solo. Pretty simple, and they were with 3 different managers/ leaders for the store.

Pet Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PetSmart (Downers Grove, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

I filled out an application online then received a phone call from the store manager to schedule the first interview. After that, I had to pass a drug test and when those results came I received a phone call saying so and then scheduled a second interview at which I was hired on the spot and given a tour of the store. There are training videos required by PetSmart to watch during the training process and within two weeks I was doing everything for my job on my own.

Bather Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PetSmart (Bolingbrook, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Met store manager and he asked me for a copy of my resume and asked about my previous job and why I want to have this position. He described what I would be doing and introduced me to a couple of the groomers on staff who were very nice. I asked how much it pays and he kind of beat around the bush but ended up telling me 9.20 later on. He also described cross training in other departments and the possibilities of me moving up. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• You have a college degree so why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and had to accommodate them   1 Answer
    • Tell me what your last job was   Answer Question

Bather Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PetSmart (Matteson, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online at an different location, but when you apply they ask you if you would like to apply to any surrounding locations which I did. A couple of hours later I got a call back from a different location asking me to come in for an interview that Saturday. It was cool because the location was way closer to my home, right up the street actually. On Saturday I arrived at my interview 10 minutes early. I went up to the cashier and told her that I was there for an interview with the Salon Manager. She pointed me to the grooming area and told me the salon manager was in there. I walked into the salon and she was grooming a dog at the time. I told her that I was scheduled to interview with her and she looked at me like I wasnt suppose to even be there. She told me to walk around the store for a couple of minutes which I did. I could tell she was busy so I didnt mind waiting, but I could also tell that this was going to be a rushed interview. As we sat down she looked over my resume, asked me my age and asked my why did I want to be a bather and do I have any pets? She asked me alot of tell me about a time questions and asked me at my previous jobs was I in charge of selling, I told her Yes! She asked me to sell a pencil she was holding. She then asked me my age again, which I thought was weird cause she wasnt that much older than me ( Im 22 by the way). Then commented on how many jobs Ive had (Which was 7 in 4 years) I explained to her that 3 of those jobs were seasonal and the other times I was working two at the same time. She kind of brushed me off like I was lying or something. I knew then that I wouldnt be getting anywhere with this interview and I just wanted to go home at this point. She finally ended it and told me "Well I have some other people to interview today and if we decide to go with you we shall give you a call. You can always call up here to check on the status of your application" As I walked out I was thinking to myself how is she interviewing other people when this location didnt even have any postings that they were hiring...but ultimately, I never received a call back.

Pet Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tinley Park, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PetSmart (Tinley Park, IL) in September 2013.

Interview

Interviewing was a 2 step process. 1 is the talking interview and a second was a "on the ground interview" where they test you to see if you can speak to customers well about products. You are told to chose a product and act out a scenario of conversing with a customer.

Pet Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PetSmart (Downers Grove, IL) in August 2013.

Interview

You go in for one interview, then interview again with store manager. Then you go out for a drug test if they plan to hire you.

Interview Questions

• They asked about which policy I didn't want to be in place.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't really a negotiation

Pethotel Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PetSmart (Vernon Hills, IL) in May 2012.

Interview

Very easy. Applied same day, got called in for an interview for the next, and hired after that. Great experience with easy-going managers. Talked about my love for animals pretty much, which was easy to elaborate on. Overall, it was a great experience. If you love animals, it should be fine.

Dog Bather Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at PetSmart (Chicago, IL) in September 2011.

Interview

Came in for an interview with the salon manager. She asked a lot of behavioral and situational questions. She said she would be in touch if they were interested in setting up a second interview. Got a call shortly after and came in to meet the store manager. He didn't really ask any questions, just had a conversation and gave me a tour of the store, and offered me the job. Went for a drug test and starred the next week.