PetSmart Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

1. Featured Interview

Dog Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PetSmart (Tulsa, OK) in August 2017.

Interview

If you apply set aside time for the application process. Some of the information may pull from your resume, but not all. Be sure to double check it. Also you will take a personality/sjt test that may take some time. Interview was easy and fun, more like a conversation than and interview. I would say this is the best interview I have been on as far as comfortability is concerned.

Interview Questions

• Do you have previous training experience?   1 Answer
    • Do you like dogs?   1 Answer

Assistant Store Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paragould, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Paragould, AR) in September 2016.

Interview

I had 3 interviews. One with the store leader, one with another store leader from a store in the district and then the final interview was with the district leader.

Interview Questions

• Why do you wanna work at PetSmart?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PetSmart (Olathe, KS) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for:
    1. Pet Care Associate
    2. Cashier (Part-Time)
    3. Early Morning Stocker (Part-Time)
    4. Pet Products/Stocker Associate (Part-Time)

First interview was about 30 minutes long with HR/Second Manager and a Supervisor.

Only possible way to get the job is if the Manager of the Store calls for a 1 on 1 interview.

Interview Questions

• Any experience working with reptiles, birds, fish, and small mammals?

Note: Employees' are not allowed to handle venomous reptiles and they are to be kept in their containers at all times.   Answer Question
    • Do you have any pets?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for PetSmart?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you had a conflicted in view points with a past employer or client and how it was resolved? Did both parties win or did you lose employment over the conflict, and Why?   Answer Question
    • Can you work Weekends and Overtime?   Answer Question
    • Question to PetSmart HR: What are the next steps to employment?   1 Answer
    • Are you okay with working at a Cash register?

Note: Everyone is trained to be a back-up Cashier.   Answer Question
    • Are willing to negotiate your desired salary or hourly pay?   1 Answer
    • Are you willing to stay employed for 90 days?

Note: Training takes a week to a few days per sector. Sector - Cashier, Pet Care Associate, Additional Readings & Videos, & etc. They do not want a hire turn over rate.   1 Answer
    • Have you handled birds before?   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Delhi, OH).

Interview

I was contacted by Pet Smart via phone. I had my initial interview. The next day I was called and asked to interview in person. Which I did, and that interview went well. Two days later I was called in for a second in person interview. This interview was more in depth , and went smoothly.
    The following week I was called for a fourth interview in another state.
    I went and had to wait at the front of the store while the manager who was to interview me finished his task. After 10 mins he came up introduced himself, not very personable turned and started walking away. Which I guessed was my clue to follow, so I did.
    The interview was almost like an inquisition, I had to repeatedly defend my leaving my previous job. He questioned everything as if I was lying. Which I normally dont mind, Im very upfront and honest. But this tired manager was rude and for Pet smart to allow this behavior to me is not good business.
    So after 45 mins I was released and went home feeling a bit stressed and tired mentally.
    This is the part I felt made the entire experience unacceptable.
    Not only had I taken time out for four interviews, filled out their lengthy application. After all that, this company did not call me back,or email me to let me know they found someone else for the position.
    You would expect more from a company regardless of the size.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your previous position   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart in September 2015.

Interview

Terrible , no connection . Pay is crap for what they described . Hr that interviewed didn't seem qualified . Another store manager called and he sounded like he was a child that was trying to convince that the company was great after asking why does it seem so negative . Was a waste of time . I am convinced this company will go under and I don't want any part of that .

Interview Questions

Researched company and reviews . Doesn't seem like it's a good place to be .

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lutherville Timonium, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PetSmart (Lutherville Timonium, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

The manager didn't show for first interview I was asked to come back a few hours later and at that time he was on a conference call asked to come back again in the morning. At that time I was told it was 3 4 hour shifts a week at 8.00.

Interview Questions

• Am I afraid of animals
      What kind of pets I had
      What would you need to set up a reptiles tank
      What kind of dog food would I recommend   1 Answer

Bather Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PetSmart (Fort Wayne, IN) in November 2014.

Interview

It is almost impossible to prepare for this interview! I applied online and I had to call them to get an interview. I went in and the interview was really difficult. a lot were typical questions but they ask you to give a lot of scenario answers. If you do not have experience retailing to people and currently own a dog you are not going to have any idea what to say in this interview. they picked out a random item in the store and asked me to try to sell it. I was told the interview went really well and I was scheduled to come in for my second one the next day. the second one went over more scenarios like how would you comfort a dog owner who is unsure to leave there pet there. he had me talk to the salon manager too. they want people who want to become groomers so sell how much you want to be a groomer. If you don't really love dogs this is not the job for you. they told me you will get pooped on, peed on, possibly bit, and will be soaking wet and covered in hair all the time. I was told they would review my first interview and I should get a call in two days. three days have passed and I still haven't got a call and this is the second petsmart that has done this to me. I thought I did really well in the interview and I have no idea why I didn't an offer. they really make you jump through hoops for a job that isn't really that great and doesn't pay that well. I honestly just wanted them to send me to the grooming school for free

Interview Questions

• I'm unsure to leave my pet in the salon, tell me how you would comfort me   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at PetSmart (Burlington, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Very Lengthy, over 7 interviews and a panel interview I underwent many tests these took a few hours. Leadership did not make us feel comfortable or did anything to make us feel relaxed. The admin person did all the heave work. Flew to Toronto for the interview, I was there for 2 days. Not my best experience.

Interview Questions

• Interview with a physiologist,   1 Answer

Negotiation

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

I applied online to the position of Operations Manager. After about a week I received a call and set up an interview. The first interview was with another Operations. Manager. I found this manager to be very personable and he put me at ease during the interview. He was very upbeat and really seemed to love working for Petsmart. The next day the Store Manager of the store needing to hire an Operations Manager called me and we set up an interview a few days latter.

This Store Manager had a very different personality then the previous one. He seemed to be a bit cold and was very direct. To this point I was not asked any really difficult questions but I did start to wonder if I would enjoy working here. He described the position of consisting of five 10 hour workdays. What ever happened to the 40-hour workweek in America and the idea of work/life balance? Anyway, I received a phone call from the Store Manager about 2 hours after leaving. He wanted me to come back in right away for my third interview this time with the District Manager and we set up a time for the next day.

When I arrived at the store the following day for the interview I alerted a cashier that I was here and if she could let the D.M. know. She stated that she didn't think the DM was in but she would tell Store Manager. Within less then 30 seconds two women one of them being the DM approached me. I was escorted to a small conference room where the interview would take place. As we were walking to the conference room we passed by the Store Manager who hardly even acknowledged me.

I am still not sure who the other woman was in the room with us as she said almost nothing and remained stoned faced throughout the interview. I assume she was from the HR department. Once the interview began it felt more like an interrogation then an interview. For the next hour I was drilled on my background, what I did, why I did things, how I did things and the outcome, what I would do differently etc.

Now I understand behavioral based interviews but I felt as though I was put on the defensive and I even felt as though the DM was a little condescending. Needless to say I did not come away with a good feeling I actually left feeling a little upset by the experience. Oh yes and as I was leaving the store the Store Manger was walking past me with another associate, again he hardly even acknowledged me as I walked past him.

The most unexpected thing that happened to me during the interview was at the end the DM asked me what questions I had and when I asked about growth opportunities. The DM responded in a way that made me feel like I was in a performance review. She said something along the lines of, "Well I think this position would be challenging for you because you don't have a lot of inventory experience. You have great experience in people development and coaching which is something that many of our Operations Mangers lack but I think you would have a lot to learn about our services and inventory systems etc."

Of course with any new position with a new company I expect challenges. I welcome them and I hope to learn new things. However, I have 20 years or retail experience and I have managed up to 100 employees at a store that did over $20MM in annual sales. During my 20 years don't you think I would have been responsible for inventory results? Don't you think I would know a little something about operations, inventory, shrink, scheduling etc? During my career some of the positions I have held have been Customer Service Manager, Assistant Manager, Inventory Coordinator, Store Manager, Associate Manager, General Manager and others. I have had Assistant Managers whose division of responsibility was inventory/operations report directly to me. So I was not only surprised but I nearly fell off my chair when she said this to me. I was so shocked by her statement that I was at a loss for words.

Being a customer of Petsmart I no longer feel like I even want to shop here never mind work here.

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied directly on the website, gone through the recruiter phone interview ,hiring manager phone interview and then had a 4 hour 1-1 interview. I even took that day off for the interview. Every hour consisted of a 1:1 with hiring manager, Architect, Manager and another group manager individually. Each round has atleast 3 sets of behavioral questions with situation, how was that overcome and the result. I know I did not do my technical very well, but I was not bad. I was even asked to fill the drug test and my history form before the interview. I was hopeful that I will clear the interview, but in 3 days, the recruiter called and gave the bad news..Tech was about UML, design patterns etc.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2010.

Interview

I had (2) very detailed phone interviews with PetSmart. One was with the person I would be reporting to and the other with the person I would be replacing. The initial phone interview was intimidating to the point of frightening (and I don't frighten easily). The woman was unemotional and purposely asked questions not relating at all to the job description and in fact asked questions not relating to my field at all. The intimidation interview technique is one that is out-dated and unneccessary and I did not appreciate it whatsoever. I was shocked to hear they wanted a second. The second interview was long and full of the same questions; however, the phase the project was in as told to me by the first person was not at all the phase the second person told me it was in. How could a subordinate and her supervisor be so completely opposite in their view of what phase the project was in?? This was one of many red flags. I did research on the company while waiting for their decision and spoke to people who had actually worked for PetSmart and every single person told me to run away very fast. In the meantime, I received 3 other job offers and would not have taken the PetSmart job had they offered based on the horrible interviews and the way I heard that employees are treated. I even had an interviewer from another company (who offered me a job btw) tell me that PetSmart is known for throwing huge salaries at people to get them in the door. That was exactly the case with this job.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in Retail Finance?   1 Answer