Petco Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Petco Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

2.8

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Allen, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Petco (Allen, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Went in and the store manager was very nice, and down to earth. Long story short we basically hungout for 2 whole hours talking about Petco and our previous workplaces, turns out we both worked for the same grueling company in the past.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate my salary, however, upon looking at salaries on glass door I was happy to know I was about 5k over average.

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Petco.

Interview

The interview process was farily basic. If you have experience in retail, meeting sales goals and employee training, its a shoe in. Had two interviews then offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Explain how your work experince, personality and goals align with those of the petco community.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It didnt exist. They said we are paying you $13/hr and that was the end of the story.

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Cedar Rapids, IA) in October 2013.

Interview

Phone interview first with the recruiter for the region, then in person interview with store GM (which is what you'd expect), then a phone interview with the District Manager. Have your notes ready for that one and prepare your answers and be able to back them up with facts and data.

Interview Questions

• You've been to this store before, how well do you think they're doing with customer service.   1 Answer

Negotiation

From first call back to start date was nearly three weeks. Granted this was typical of this store, but at any it'll take a few weeks to get an offer sealed. Generally they pay incoming management far more than someone who's worked their way up, especially if you have the experience. So don't be afraid to ask for what you're worth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Fairfax, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

I went through a great interview process. Both the GM and the DM were great and we seemed to be a good fit for working together. I was offered the position at what I felt was a low salary so I countered. I waited over 5 weeks for an answer, while being told it was at HR then I was informed that someone was transfering in and that they were going with that team member. The GM, who I called, told me this and that he then looked at other openings in the area to see if there was anything and he said he found none. I went to the career site and there are 5 listing for the postion within a 25 mile radius of my zip code including the store I was originally offered. So be cautious when countering an offer if you would like the job.

Interview Questions

• Which of 3 things would you do first when you walk in before opening the store.   2 Answers

tried to negotiate a better salary and wasn't even told I could only get original offer was just told we changed our mind.

Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Petco (Erie, PA).

Interview

I was hired over nine years ago, but the interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one in person interview. The questions were fairly straight forward and pertained to managerial situations as well as retail applications.

Interview Questions

• I do not remember the questions specifically, however my interviewer, who would be my DM, asked me about what I thought the most important aspect of retail was. i don't believe I gave him what he was looking for but it must have been adequate because I got the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered the "max" they said they could give me, which was slightly lower than I was currently making. I was willing to accept it because of the quality of life improvement. I later found out that others were brought in at a significantly higher rete.

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Petco (Memphis, TN) in January 2012.

Interview

First they asked about Pets. What sort I had, what I would be willing to deal with, my favorite animals, my least favorite animals, what I had as a kid. They quizzed me on all the different animals in the store. Next they asked me about my prior jobs. What I liked about them, what I didn't like. they wanted to know what sort of managers I had and their styles. They asked me about the last store I'd be WOW'd at. They want to know about what I thought was a great customer service experience. They also wanted to know how I handled stressful situations. With either employees or with customers. Be prepared to give several examples of all the questions above. Then they asked why they should hire me. Don't be fooled by thinking this is an easy question! Also they LOVED that I came prepared with questions about the company. Write a list!

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over anyone else?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Start out high, it helps if you were being paid well in the first place.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Petco in May 2011.

Interview

I was working as a team lead for another store. I heard about an assistant manager position that was available and decided to look into it. I called the store manager and she talked with the district manager. She had done several interviews before but decided to give me one, as well. She was looking for someone with a lot more experience in management, she decided to hire someone outside of the company. She had made her decision before interviewing me but the district manager wanted her to interview me so she did. The questions weren't hard, they were situation based and if I had experience dealing with different associates. She wasn't very interested in the fact that I knew a lot of the reports, she wanted to know how much experience I had dealing with people.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer was upset that we no longer carry her food?   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Petco in May 2010.

Interview

Was referred by current manager to next highest position in another store.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No, pay was not negotiable.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Petco in October 2008.

Interview

I was interviewed one on one by the GM and then had a phone interview by the DM