Petco Companion Animal Department Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Petco Companion Animal Department Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Petco

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Burke, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Petco (Burke, VA) in March 2012.

Interview

One of the best interviews I've ever had. I applied to the various positions in my area, and received a call the next day. The GM left a voice-mail on my phone and stated he was very interested in my application and would love to have a 1:1 interview. I called him back the next day and setup an interview for Monday. I entered the interview confident about my knowledge. I left the interview knowing I was hired, and would be working at one of the best PETCO stores in the country.

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my pay based on my prior experience. My only advice is if you have experience then the hiring manager will most likely acknowledge it. However, if you have no experience in retail take what you are offered. As for college grads without any work experience. GOOD LUCK in any job you seek unless you have a specialized degree.

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Killeen, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Petco (Killeen, TX) in December 2018.

Interview

The interview was fairly informal. I was directed to the office, shook hands, asked to take a seat. Upon sitting down we had a discussion for about 30 minutes with questions and job requirements and then it was over.

Interview Questions

• The main questions circled around "What is your interest in this position?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Northglenn, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Petco (Northglenn, CO) in September 2015.

Interview

online application test seems a bit over the top. but it wasnt to hard
    called for an interview pretty straight questions
    came in to do new hire paper work
    started working pretty quick

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for petco   1 Answer

Companion Animal Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Petco in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online, it took 1 1/2 weeks to get a call back. On the careers site it said I was no longer being considered, but still got the interview. I've worked for Petco twice before, so that was only to my benefit

No offer yet but it was a very positive interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (Waltham, MA) in October 2009.

Interview

I interviewed in a basement that was the break room/bathroom area, half the lights didn't work it was a very creepy place to be interviewed. The interview was interrupted by a coughing employee who went into the unlit bathroom, that the manager interviewing me rolled her eyes at and wouldn't say another word until she left. After the employee left the manager told me she was an alcoholic and to stay away from her.

Interview Questions

• I had to take dog cookies out of a bowl and depending on how many cookies I took I had to tell her that many things about myself. Not that hard as long as it is relevant. This is a tactic the company thinks is "fun". When I became a hiring manager I did not use this tactic because in "group" interviews which was the preferred way the company had us interview, 18/19 year old kids didn't know they were dog cookies and either ate them or would only take one, which didn't result and much conversation.   2 Answers

Negotiation

They offered my $11 an hour. I was making $18/hr and say no way. I asked for at least $16 and it took 6 more phone calls until they got to $14.50. After a month I got $2 more because I was good at my job and I didn't want to stay for the low pay.

Companion Animal Department Manager Interview

Interview

Called for an interview, we talked for about an hour, and then he offered me the job

Negotiation

He offered less than I wanted per hour, but we settled on a compromise

Anonymous Employee in Lake Jackson, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Petco (Lake Jackson, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

To get hired initially, I had to fill out an application online and then attend an open interview in store. The interview was not done in an office or back room, it was done on the sales floor. There was another more detailed application that I was asked to fill out at the open interview that asked questions about the pets I had in my home and my experience level with animals. Most of the interview was talking about day to day life while working at Petco. (Cleaning animal feces, dealing with customers, etc) There was a negative tone on the majority of it. I got hired simply because I worked at Petsmart before. I was then promoted within 3 months of working here to Companion Animal Department Manager and there was no interview process for this. I was simply promoted.

Interview Questions

• None. The GM literally just wanted to talk about personal life.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No. I was offered a starting rate and did not negotiate.

Companion Animal Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco.

Interview

Typical, textbook questions...no suprises. Interviewer didn't ask much about past experience, more about "what would you do in this scenario" type questions. Was interrupted multiple times during interview by store associates. I highly suggest preparing yourself by going to company website. There is a ton of good info that you can bring up during your interview.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sewell, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (Sewell, NJ) in July 2015.

Interview

It was a series of two interviews. One with the General Manager, the other with the District Manager. Both were professional and pleasant to speak with. Each interview lasted approximately one half hour, and by the time I had fished with the second interview I was given the impression I should expect to receive an offer of employment in the near future.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Received a phone call to set up interview. Had an first interview. It was very casual and only asked a couple questions. Asked why I wanted to work for the company/ what I liked about working with pets.