Petco General Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Petco General Manager Interview Questions

2.4

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Houston, TX).

Interview

The interview was done at a Petco near the one I was applying at and was done with the GM of that store. I was told to dress causal because this is their dress code so jeans and t-shirt is what I did and was how the GM was dressed. The interviews are done in the training station which is the same as the shipping and receiving so people kept walking in on the interview which was very annoying. Interview process is about 10-15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Petco.
    What are some of your strengths, weaknesses
    If you could be a super hero who would you be and why
    If you had to fill the room full of basketballs how many do you think would fit
    If you caught an coworker stealing what would you do
    If a dog pees on the treat bar what would you do.
    What did you do in your last job and why did you leave   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Petco (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Process was severely drawn out. District Manager kept delaying scheduling the interview claiming he was "busy". Recruiter who reached out to me was very nice and felt I was a great match for the position. Finally when I met with the district manager(who was late) he seemed disinterested when I asked him questions about the company and about their benefits, etc saying its typical retail which drew a red flag for me. Told me after that I would hear something in a week. Took over 3 weeks and repeated emails to finally get a rejection letter. And this was just to arrange to meet with the vp for the final interview. And they wonder why they have so many positions open in this district. They seem to be in no hurry to hire anyone to help staff their stores. Extremely unprofessional and no sense or organization. They will continue to struggle until they fix this process. I know I was rejected because I was asking for more than what they were willing to pay based on my past retail management experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to have a difficult conversation with an employee   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Petco.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, had a 45 min interview with them, then i was contacted that i would be having an interview with a vp in HR, that went well, about 40 min interview, then i had a interview with the DM and i thought it went well. A month went by and i didnt hear anything, i was then told by recruiter that i was not selected but it was a hard decision. He apologized bec he was out with back issues. I was then contacted 3 weeks later after being told i was out, that i would be interviewing with the Director of stores. That was another 45 minute interview. 2 weeks after that i had not heard anything so i contacted recruiter, he apologized and said he was out with back issues again and said he would follow up, then the next day i received a rejection email. So 3 plus months and 4 interviews later, no job. Everyone was seriously nice and i still love the company. Just a bad experience with interview process and very unprofessional way of treating applicants.

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Edison, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter at first, then the district manager, then the regional VP. All were very nice. I worked for Petco in the past so coming back was an easy process as my work ability was already well noted. I am happy I came back and saw many of the upper management faces remained the same over time.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle employee performance issues.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Met me at a higher rate than expected. Did not need to negotiate. Felt very fair.

Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Danbury, CT) in January 2015.

Interview

4 interviews that took over three months met with District manager then phone interview and then with the Regional manager. All in all it toknover three months to get hired. No communication in between those points just left me hanging.

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Petco (New Orleans, LA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applicant must pass personality type screening to be considered for an interview. Then timing is everything. They interview when they have or anticipate a need. For a manager position, you must interview with current General Manager and if liked, interview again with the district manager.

Interview Questions

• This all depends on the Manager. Some use the standard questions, and others use a more conversational method.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Back and forth, the DM had to "get approval" from HR. It took several days.

Anonymous Employee in Statesboro, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Statesboro, GA).

Interview

Called into a restaurant for the interview. A group interview with 2 store managers and a district manager. The behavior from this group should've been the first sign of a problem. Felt like I was at a frat house. Obvious that the good old boy system was in place from the start. After a good 2 hours of discussion, I left. Most of the discussion was on the problems with the staff in place at the location I would be in, and past manager issues, as well as a member of the staff they were hot to terminate. I got the call to let me know I was being hired.

Interview Questions

• Accountability-what do you do to hold your staff accountable?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I told what I expected, and they met it. Even exceeded it.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Petco in July 2013.

Interview

Standard interview. Very friendly outgoing people conducting interviews conducted on the phone and at regional office. The process was as follows: Recruiter>Assessment>DM>RVP and it took about 3 weeks. It was conducted over the phone and 1 on 1.

Interview Questions

• Nothing stands out. Very common structured interview questions. Give me an example of a time...   Answer Question

Negotiation

A little wiggle room. Negotiation process was slow. Took a couple weeks.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Chicago, IL) in December 2012.

Interview

One on one with two different district managers, both of whom were tools. I had two one on one interviews that were held in the managers office of a Petco store. The interviews were about a week apart and I received a job offer one week after the second interview,.

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Allentown, PA) in June 2012.

Interview

Interview process consisted of a very thorough and detailed phone interview with a Petco Recruiter. This Recruiter impressed me very much and was informative, painted a clear picture of the position. Next interview was with the District Manager. This was informal and lacked professionalism. When hired I was asked to complete a 2-4 week training program at a store one and a half hours from my home. No travel expenses or hotel accommodations were offered. Training program was poorly executed and is very vague.

Interview Questions

• What are my expectations when faced with an customer service issue in the grooming salon?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered less than what I was earning with Petsmart (previous job). I was easily able to negotiate a higher salary.