Petco Grooming Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Petco Grooming Assistant Interview Questions

1.5

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Petco (Stockton, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got called for an interview about a week later. It was a group interview, although there was only one other applicant there with me, and she had previous work experience where I had none. Interview took place in the break room and was very casual, which I hear is typical, although I still dressed very well and would recommend it. A week after I received a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.   Answer Question
  • Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer
  • What would you do with an aggressive or anxious dog?   1 Answer
  • How soon will you be able to work?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

They took me to the manager's office where both grooming salon manager and store manager interviewed me simultaneously. It was casual and they described to me how the grooming program works. There are 90 days of training with the groomer and then I will be sent of to grooming school to be a certified groomer.

Interview Questions

• Are you nervous around any dog breeds?   1 Answer
    • How do you feel around poop, pee, vomit or blood?   1 Answer
    • Describe when you had to work as a team in a past job.   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with angry customers?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to prioritize a situation and if applicable, having to do with animal welfare.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altoona, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Petco (Altoona, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

I got called for an interview, and unlike all the other companies that tell you if you were not selected, I never received an e-mail or call letting me know if another candidate was selected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Petco (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

interviewed with both store and grooming salon manager , they both were really nice and made me feel relaxed. both were impressed with my resume.Was told i was going to be called back the next week .

Interview Questions

• how comfortable are you with pets.   1 Answer
    • how long to you plan on staying with petco   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jasper, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Jasper, AL) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview took place between three people: salon manager, store manager, and assistant store manager. So, you have a group setting, which might be intimidating for anyone who prefers to be one-on-one. My advice is to stick to talking about the strengths you have that specifically cater to the position you are applying for. For example, if you want to become a 'Dog Groomer', you don't want to mention that you can only lift a half gallon of milk--if true, this isn't the job for you anyway. Animal talk is also pretty acceptable.

Be prepared to talk about your schedule. It needs to be completely open--practically--to become an assistant groomer, as training hours are fixed. Students would be hard to consider.

In my experience, Petco is comprised of friendly animal lovers. Overall, it was a pretty casual and comfortable experience with great people.

Interview Questions

• The BIG one. Do you have a problem with anal glands?   1 Answer

Grooming Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco.

Interview

I just had a phone interview three days ago. I felt that I answered every question effectively but am still waiting for a call back from them. The manager asked me when a good time to schedule an interview with me, which I thought was a positive gesture, but then said he was going to go over my application with his manager before setting a face to face interview up so I'm not sure. Hoping I get the job and will give an update.

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Petco (Costa Mesa, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I arrived to the interview in a timely fashion, and was immediately greeted by the friendly cashier/aquatics specialist. He directed me to the dog training room where I sat and waited for the interviewers, the General Store Manager, and The Grooming Salon Manager. They were friendly, polite, respectful and knowledgeable. They asked about who I was, and what I had to offer the company, as the job implicated more than just giving dogs baths. I sincerely let them know I was prepared for new challenges and a new job field as I had an extensive medical background in my career field at such a young age.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself fit here at Petco as a grooming assistant?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Petco (West Sacramento, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online and went to an open group interview on Friday. The next Wednesday I dropped off my resume and the gave me a second interview which I had that Friday with the store and grooming manager. It was a pleasant and easy interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non negotiable salary. grooming assistants start at $8.00/per hour or 40% commission

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

It was a group interview. Not many questions were asked. However, because the store was so unorganized I had to actually keep calling to reschedule my second interview because the manager wasn't showing up to work. Come to find out, he was fired. Anyway, they kind of just had to give me my job because I was already given an offer, by the previous manager who had been fired. If I didn't call they would have given my position to someone else. Crazy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The groomer's apprentice was supposed to make commission, or minimum wage- whatever was more at the end of the pay week. Since you have the "potential" to make a lot of commission, they will not offer more than minimum wage. Because we were a new location we didn't have many clients and commission was hard to come by.

Anonymous Employee in Ahwatukee, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Ahwatukee, AZ) in November 2013.

Interview

The hiring manager contacted me about a week after I had submitted my application and we set up an interview. He was very nice, informative and was able to answer most of my questions.

Interview Questions

• PetCo offers salon schooling through them, and he asked if that would be something I was interested in.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I took it right away, and they hired me on the following week.