Petco Interview Questions in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

2.5

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Site Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter via Linked-In and scheduled a phone interview. The recruiter told me he would be in contact within a couple of days to let me know if I qualified for the second round of interviews. Over two weeks later and having sent several follow-up emails, nothing. Very unprofessional.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The first step in the process was a 10 minute interview with a recruiter. About one week and a half later, I was contacted to schedule a second interview at the corporate office. The second interview took place quickly thereafter and was with two of the manager-level employees. That interview was also relatively quick, lasting about a half hour with your basic, expected questions.

I thanked both parties I interviewed with afterwards. I sent a follow-up email to the recruiter about a week and a half later, as I was told the turnaround for hiring would be fast. To date (three weeks after I reached out to the recruiter to check on status), I have not heard anything back. I had heard rumblings that the Petco recruiters were not good at their jobs, and now I guess I have confirmation. While I agree that I may not have been the best fit for the position I interviewed with, I think recruiter communication is key to a company appearing professional and attracting top talent. The recruiters at Petco leave a lot to be desired.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have with retail copywriting?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Applied a few weeks ago for a sales position in San Diego and I did not get a confirmation email. I would've like to have received a denial email at least.

Meeting & Event Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and followed up with a LinkedIn message to one of the HR managers. I don't typically wouldn't directly message after applying online, knowing how many applicants HR employees are receiving a day. However, I was actually visiting San Diego specifically to interview for jobs as I was planning a relocation from the East Coast. Brooke ended up reaching out to me in regards to a phone interview. I was able to have the phone interview with Brooke prior to my trip - the interview with her was very relaxed. She was enthusiastic about Petco, very informative and most importantly, friendly. After the interview, I hounded her a little bit, reminding her of the dates I was available to meet with her team in person. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they sped up the process of getting me in for an in-person interview due to my circumstances. I was very appreciative of Brooke and her team being so accommodating. After the in-person interview, I was told the next step would be to meet with the director, so I hounded Brooke a little bit more letting her know that I had one more day in town to meet with the director if interested. She quickly responded letting me know I did not make it to the 3rd round of interviews (unfortunately). Although I did not get the position, I found my interactions with Brooke to be very helpful, accommodating, and I truly felt as though she respected my time in SD.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA).

Interview

It was OK. Actually quite easy and took about 3 weeks before I was called and offered the position. The interview process took approximately 2 weeks as there were several different interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked how comfortable I am with excel but didn't ask any details or to provide any answers which I was shocked by.   1 Answer

Director of Repeat Delivery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

One phone screen via a recruiter and two phone conversations with the hiring manager and direct report. Calls were 1-hour in length and went through details of what I was doing today (which was extremely relevant) and how I progress a program today. Additionally time was spent understanding the company vision, how their decision to move to a private entity impacted funding for innovative projects, and overall internal environment conditions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most complex role you've held?   Answer Question
    • How would you approach this role? Assuming that the core goal is to increase digital revenue and strengthen the overall customer experience offline and online.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

So I submitted an application online and got a call from them around 2 weeks later. Had a behavioral interview with the HR recruiter, she was very friendly and made the interview very relaxed. After that, I got a call from her saying they would like to move forward in the process. The next interview was with my boss over the phone. Again, it was very causal and wasn't bombarded with technical questions, more along the lines of experience. After this interview, I was invited for an in-person interview at their HQ in San Diego. That interview last 3 hours and included 4 people: My boss, her boss, and 2 other program managers related to IT and merchandising. After the interview I was given a tour of the building and then walked out to the front. Got a call back from the recruiter about 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with Essbase, the excel add-in?   1 Answer
    • How would you present a financial report to a VP who has no experience with finance?   1 Answer
    • Are you good at creating educational material?   1 Answer
    • How good are you with Excel?   1 Answer
    • Are you detailed oriented or more big picture?   1 Answer
    • Are you familiar with project management?   1 Answer
    • How familiar are you with accounting?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Honestly, i couldn't negotiate much because their offer was pretty fair. I felt the salary was industry standard if not a little above for someone of my experience. Also, the position I was being given was considered mid-level. So as an entry-level out of college I got a good salary and a position that is giving me tons of experience that my other friends just aren't getting. So yes, when you look at the position, I technically got lowed ball but I felt that the extra opportunity to get some good experience was worth it out of college. Also, the work life balance is perfect, so I felt like it was a good move.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Long, drawn out, 5 separate interviews. Every interviewer was late, no response when attempting to follow up. Very rude considering I had to miss hours from work, seemed to go well and then nothing. Taleo is a joke, cryptic status updates

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Petco (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

I called the G.M. a month before school let out to inquire about job openings and was told to call back when school was closer to ending and we could set something up. I called again when school was wrapping up and ended up setting up a meeting with the General Manager for a short interview and then on a separate day, I met with the assistant manager for a follow up interview before being hired.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Unleashed?   1 Answer

Demand Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

My interview experience was shockingly poor and mismanaged. It began with a phone screen with a "talent advisor" from their Texas office. From there I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. From there a "talent coordinator" booked travel accommodations (flight, car and hotel) as I live out of state. She not only asks for references, but asks that I have them fill out questionnaire in advance. And I do.
    I interview first with the hiring manager where she asks me the same questions she asked during the phone interview. She leaves and then a director comes in--full of life and energy--and asks a set of planned questions. She leaves and another demand manager comes in. She asks the same questions as the director, followed by a few atypical questions (listed below). Finally, another demand manager--less full of life and energy--comes in and asks the same set of questions.
    I felt the interviews went fine considering I was asked some of the same questions via phone and and delivered the same responses which were acceptable enough to warrant an in-person interview. So, I leave and fly home and submit my travel receipts promptly as one of the HR gals, requested shortly after I get back. A couple weeks go by and I haven't heard anything from HR or the hiring manager. No calls. No emails. So, I send a note to HR inquiring about the job's status. No response. More time goes by and I still haven't heard anything so I send a email inquiry about the job's status to the hiring manager. No response. At least a month goes by and I still haven't heard anything. Here I assume I didn't get the job. It's also here when I realize that I have not been reimbursed for the travel expense. The expense was on *my* credit card. A job interview should *not* cost money, so I contact HR about getting reimbursement. She's no help and passes the buck to a new "talent coordinator." More time goes by (I'll like over two months since I interviewed) and have not only heard nothing about the job, my interview, nor my money. So, I send another inquiry. There "was some confusion" on my payment but stated that I would get reimbursed. Another two weeks go by and surprise-surprise, I still have not received reimbursement. So again, I send another note to HR. It took about three months for them to finally reimburse. My opinion of Petco has totally changed. Y'all a sad bunch of professionals.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about finding out how many windows there are in New York City?
      If you were to open a gum business, how would you go about projecting sales (or something along those lines)?   Answer Question