Petronas Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 23, 2017

3.1

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petronas (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in March 2017.

Interview

The online application is fairly straightforward, and done through a portal from their website. If you get called to the interview, make sure to prepare by reading up on current issues, especially those concerning oil and gas companies. There are 3 stages in the interview. First you have to conduct a case study, in teams of four. After presenting your viewpoints, have a meaningful discussion with your group mates. All these are watched and assessed by the interviewers. The interviewers do not participate. The last part is individual interview.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Petronas (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in March 2017.

Interview

3 sessions for about 2 hours in total
    1-case study/individual presentation
    2-roleplay on case study
    3-one to one interview

case study is related to what is happening in current world. The presentation is open-ended so you just need to convey your own ideas and opinions

Interview Questions

• Explain own experience based on set of skills they wanted to know; i.e learning, getting results   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Petronas (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in January 2017.

Interview

1) Download and fill in the application(from the website) submit with cover letter from my university, my CV and latest result. Petronas reply saying they have receive the application.
    2) Receive a few email from a few different department to forward my resume.
    3) Receive a few phone interview. Some casual, some technical.

Interview Questions

• Description on the job they offered and am i up for it   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Petronas (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)).

Interview

Interview during Final semester of study which during semester break. Interview at KLCC Tower. 2 interviewer, asking on the job preference, location preference. Then contiue with Main Interview Question to gauge personality, confidence level. EQ skill

Interview Questions

• What's your experience in handling problem in your life?   Answer Question

Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Petronas.

Interview

Interview Day – Individual Interview

If your online has been shortlisted, you’ll be invited by Petronas to their HQ at the Petronas Twin Towers for a one-day interview session. On estimate, there were about 100 applicants in total, and you will be allocated into a team of 4, with other applicants. Don’t forget to bring your certificates, academic transcripts, and any other hardcopy documents you submitted during the online application – the officers in charge will request for them and will verify them on the day itself.

After being allocated into teams of 4, and after a preliminary briefing session on what Petronas does, and the scholarship program, you’ll wait for your individual interview. I’d recommend you to take the time to mingle with and better understand your fellow team members – to not only to establish future connections, but also improve team synergy during the group case study interviews at the end of the day.

The individual stage was fairly typical, and straightforward. As long as you show your enthusiasm, your understanding on what Petronas does and how you could contribute upon graduation, you stand a fairly good chance. Demonstrate your maturity, your understanding, and speak maturely on your decision on the particular course/university to convince the interviewers that you’ve done your research, and that you know what you’re doing

Interview Day – Group Case Study Interview

After each of your team members have completed their individual interviews, your team will be handed a case study. Basically, you’ll have a short brief on a particular situation, a few objectives to think about, and you’ll have to come out with a recommendation(s). My team, for example, had a case on international relations and government policy.

However, the catch was that during that period, we were not allowed to talk, or discuss about the case. We were supposed to think about it in our heads, or brainstorm on our papers, to form our own recommendations. When we as a team were called on to present during the group interview, we then discussed our findings with the team, in front of the interviewers. From my personal experience, I didn’t lead the conversation, but i contributed with my recommendations, and my thought process of tackling the case. Your interviewers would also question certain thought process you have, or certain recommendations, to get you off your comfort zone (or possibly look at how you manage “crisis”). Don’t feel offended, or act defensively when the interviewers criticise you; instead, use this opportunity to humbly welcome their feedback, and act quickly to integrate their feedback to further improve your recommendation – it shows that you’re an attentive listener, and you make them feel good about their ideas too!

Interview Questions

• What did you did during your final year project and internship?   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Petronas (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)).

Interview

There are two tier interview involved. The first tier is technical interview, where they evaluate my technical skills and knowledge. The second tier is structured interview (S.I.) where they gave me short paragraph of a situation. The panelists then proceed to discuss with me issues arising from that situation given. I believe there's no right or wrong answer but they want to see our thinking, analytical skills.

Senior Executive Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Petronas.

Interview

Hiring process by HR was not professional. Late response and passed the interview without being offered the vacancy. HR requested for another round of resume but not responding after a month. That is after few emails of follow up with no response and was told vacancy filled again.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current job   1 Answer

Petroleum Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview, followed by face to face interview with two managers (one playing the good cop, the other the bad cop). After several months, they call you back if you get the job.

Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Petronas (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in June 2015.

Interview

I sent my application in February, got interview calling over phone in June, Medical Check-Up in July, Structure Interview in August, Result in September, Report duty in November. Took almost one year to secure a place in Petronas. I think their HR holding process too long.

Interview Questions

• First technical interview over phone went smooth and seemed those two interviewers happy with my answers and the way I handle the interview (on my side). 40 minutes with lots of questions to be answered with out-of-the-box-answers. Put your current CV aside you for immediate reference because the questions all about your experiences. Don't try to boast up or cheat, make up stories. They just want to know what have you learned based on experiences you had, regardless of how many years of working experience you had.

Second after passed the Technical Assessment, I was calling for Structure Interview to secure for permanent job. The interview was super pressured. The interviewers are psychologist, I think. They have lots of experience in Oil & Gas industry even with Petronas itself. Don't cheat them or made up stories. BE YOURSELF. THINK OUT OF THE BOX. THEY WANT WORLD HUNGER PROBLEMS. FIRM ON YOUR STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES ALSO YOUR ANSWERS , they will use these as bullets to shoot you throughout the session. But, don't worry as long as you really be yourself, you will secure the job. They pressure you just want to know the way you handle pressure, the way you solve problems, how fast you solve the problems, and the most important the way you thinking. There is no RIGHT or WRONG answers, just be firmed!

At the end of the interview, I felt that I wouldn't secure the job, and I asked one of HR staff who handled my application. " What do you think, will I get this job? Because I don't think I performed well in the interview." She said,"People who think they will get this job probably won't get this job, but people who think they won't get this job probably will get this job". It depends on how Interviewers look at you in so many ways. That's why it is important to be yourself. And I once getting advise from interviewers that don't ever rely on what you found on blogs about Petronas Structure Interview, because every each people have different personalities & experiences.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiable, the offer is average

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Petronas.

Interview

first a examination test with 200 question in an hour.then a group discussion base on project given.selected personal will be called for face to face interview.Once the face to face interview done you will be shortlisted and called by weeks.