Pets at Home Retail Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Pets at Home

1 Interview Review

4.0

Retail Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pets at Home in November 2017.

Interview

First of all you fill in lots of questions online, if you get through to the GROUP interview ( 8 of us altogether) they will make you say abit about yourself.. your name where you stduied what your interests etc. fill them with what they want to hear so retail and pet care not just '' i love pets'' expand your answers.. after this process you will have to make a bridge to hold heavy dog toys or weights.. best thing to make are cyclinders/collums within collums so make them the size of your hand close your fist so touch fingers together a loose fist is the size you should make then put smaller ones inside it to make it a strong bridge ( use alot of paper or newpaper) then create alot of these the length of the a4 paper do nt make it any longer as it loses structure and sturdiness. then just place more cyclinders the other way to make the '' traintrack'' look this will ensure yours is strongest. Make sure you speak your mind because staff members are assesing you and scoring the way you speak so work as a team as they are looking for team players also. Then you will speak about a product as a radio or tv presenter and just sell it to the staff members but make sure your having fun and not bored of doing this! Then all staff members will take you away around the store and ask you questions about availability and why you want to work here(study online what managers want to hear) I then got to the 3RD INTERVIEW which was narrowed down to 2 people me and another woman. The 3rd interview the manager said '' theyre is a job interview and trial for the groom room today aswell if you would like to do this aswell'' because i told them i was studying and this is where i would see myself progressing in a few years. So i first did the retail and they will make you clean out a rabbit cage and watch how you handle the rabbits/pets.. they are looking for you to use your own inative when cleaning and handling dont ask ''whats next?'' make conversation about how you would clean the pet and ask where you keep the bedding this is what i did and small talk about the job. I then watched someone scanning products to put on to the shop floor and went to the shop front to start pulling stock forward so its neat and presentable to customers. Then you will work on the till i wasnt on the till for hardly any time it was abit ridiculous like ten minutes so didnt really get a chance. They want you to sell till products or in this case a 50p dinner to a dog in shelters which usually you will sell but i didnt have a lot of time on the till which i was annoyed as i am very good at till work. I then went upstairs to do a small trial on the groom room which i was still studying at college so wasnt 100% on all dog grooming things at that time i had to bath dry and 'fluff dry' a dog which i did ask what is this technique i havent learnt yet ( even though the position for groom room was assistant stylist so your always training along the way ) i was then offered a 4TH TRIAL/INTERVIEW for the groom room 9am till 12pm which i had 3 dogs bathing drying and brushing, again still learning as asked which shampoo would you use for this dog ( baring in mind these were regular clients) If they had said to me i want you to tell me what you think is best, then id understand but i was nervous and wanted to do it all right. Manager of the groom room was asking personal life questions so i thought i must of done a great job and i really thought my dogs came out looking great and spotless with a great brush so for her to be talking personal life things (love life) i thought surely this is a good sign? that she likes me i may have got my dream job? but no. DO NOT TALK ABOUT YOUR SOCIAL OR PERSONAL LIFE. I got rejected for both jobs because i was so happy about recieving a second trial in the groom room i totally blew it with the retail and said id rather be in the groom room but the groom room obviously thought i wasnt up to standard which is fine but i blew my retail opportunity. DO NOT DECIDE ! keep your opinions on which area you want to work to yourself (tip) This process took over 6 WEEKS! for a 16 hour job. I got a email saying id not been succesful i was absolutely gutted.... I am still trying to get within the business but i have studied everyone elses job interview type ups on here so i hope this helps people. In retail they do say its not all about pets its also about customers so make an interest that you want to serve customers and not just stroke pets all day ^.^

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for pets at home?   1 Answer
  • Give an example of when you have given or recieved good customer service?   1 Answer
  • How do you deal with angry customers?   1 Answer
  • where do you see yourself 5 years from now?   Answer Question