Pets at Home Sales Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pets at Home Sales Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at Pets at Home

2.6

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Birmingham, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

We were divided into severaI small groups ad we had to work together to build a paper bridge using cello tape that could hold some coins. These were tested at the end. This lasted 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What was the worst part of the interview   1 Answer
  • When could I start   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Pets at Home

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Liverpool, England (UK)).

Interview

The whole process took 6 weeks from applying to the interviews.
    The group assessment evening lasted around 90mins, it seemed very unorganised and most of staff were just chatting amongst themselves, although they seemed nice. We were asked to do a 2 minute talk about a pet, then get in to groups and build a maze for a hamster and then demonstrate how you would care for a pet.
    I can kind of see why they interview like this (see how well you work in a team) but i found it quite boring and immature. I've never been interviewed in a group before where you're all competing for one job, this created a bad atmosphere with applicants.

The next stage was a work trial there were 3 of us that got through, again it was very unorganised, the store manager wasn't there and they acted like they didn't know what to do with us. Told us to put stock away, work on till etc. The staff member who was high up in the store took us round and seemed nice she said to us all 'don't worry you will all be fine, there are a few jobs available' she was basically saying we had the job, telling us what shoes to buy etc i thought this was odd but I went with it and it made me feel confident I was going to get it.

We were asked to come back for 1-1 with store manager, It takes me 45 mins drive to get to the store but thought it was fine as I had almost got job. I got to store for the 1-1, I was ignored at first, they seemed stressed and busy. Eventually I was interviewed, I got a bad impression from the interviewer straight away, she acted like I was wasting her time, I felt like I answered questions ok, I have years of retail and sales experience, I got the impression the interviewer and note taker had made up their mind straight away and I found they were also asking questions that you expect if you were applying for a higher grade job not a part time sales assistant, she didn't ask to see my passport so knew I wasn't successful, then i received a generic email saying I wasn't successful!! I then replied asking for feedback and I didn't get a reply, I didn't expect anything more from them, they didn't give me the impression they care about applicants.

I was put out and annoyed that I had to go 3 times, work for them for 3 hours and to then receive a generic email like that. I got a job straight away else where so probably a blessing. They need to rethink their interview process and they waste a lot of people's time and money.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Inverness, Scotland (UK)) in November 2012.

Interview

I applied online via the company's website. I was invited to a group session to get an idea of candidates and an initial interview to check availability, then individual interview with more detailed questions.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview

I got an email to go to a group interview which lasted 3 hours and had to do some role play. I got through to the second stage and waited 7 weeks for this and was sounding very promising about a position after being told I was a top person to be picked. I then had a works trial after the very long 7 weeks wait for 5 hours and everything seemed to have went well then the next day received a blunt email saying I did not got the job and had no explanation why. I found the whole process time consuming for both sides and a waste of time. They don't treat people fairly and inconsiderate of the time waiting all for a part time role not professional at all.

Interview Questions

• What pets do you have and for you do any charity work   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Leeds, England (UK)).

Interview

You fill out an application form on the Internet. You are then asked to do a scenario test. Then you answer a load of questions about yourself and your attitudes, including one memorable question about what animal you'd be and why. Then, you get called to a group interview where you have to do a load of activities in small groups. Then you have an individual interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to a customer being rude and difficult.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview

Had to go to a group interview , it was ok but did make me feel nervous . We had to talk about our pets, make a pet run and do a sells presentation in group. Had a call back got invited to a work trial day, lasted couple of hours due to them not being at all organised . Went on till for a hour. Cleaned guinea pigs out, helped put out stock, all good but when your not sure where stuff goes, you're going to be slow, so a stupid task really. One to one interview was ok but manager was on a conference call so really wasn't listening to me. Bit of a insult really. He could've got his assistant manager to take the call. Ok experience loved the animal part but really the one to one interview experience wasn't at all professional.

Interview Questions

• What's a good example of good customer service ?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home in February 2017.

Interview

Don't waste your time!

After completing the online application process, I went to a group Interview at a nearby Hotel lasting ~3 hours. In this assessment, we introduced ourselves and spoke briefly about our pets. Roughly 10 applicants showed up. Afterwards, we had to make a bridge out of paper and tape which could support the weight of some toys, and be tall enough to stand over a small box. We then did a Dragon's Den style presentation to the judges/staff members on an idea which the company could sell, and then a brief one on one interview lasting around 2-3 minutes.

I was invited to a subsequent Interview and work trial the following week with the Manager and another member of staff. The Interview consisted of around 6 pages of questions but they were simple and mainly common sense. The work trial consisted of working on the tills and serving customers, as well as facing up products to ensure they looked as good as they can be. I was told by the manager that I would hear by the next week.

After hearing nothing by this time, I left it a couple more days and rang the store the manager works in, he wasn't in. I asked to speak to the person I was co-interviewed by and was told she'd be in by 11:00. I rang at 11:30 and she "wasn't in". I rang again the following day and I was told that I had been written an e-mail that morning which arrived at 07:16, this being 13 days after the interview had taken place. This e-mail was a generic copy & paste e-mail and had no feedback.

On the phone with the Manager, I was told my reason for rejection was "there were better candidates than yourself", While not being particularly helpful, is an acceptable reason. However, my real cause of frustration is that he did NOT apologise for failing to contact me, meaning I had to chase it myself. He said he'd speak with the other interviewer and compile me some feedback but never did.

I was left frustrated by the fact that I spent 5 hours of my time in person, 6 hours of preparation for interviews and 90 minutes travel and fuel costs, a total of over 12 hours of my personal time, and the manager did not have the courtesy to make a simple phone call, nor an apology for a mistake he would not acknowledge.

I consider this shambles to be a blessing in disguise, as I would never want to work for someone that incompetent and unprofessional. And nor should you. Look elsewhere or prepare to have your time wasted!

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview

applied for job. had phone call for an interview. interview was a sit down one to one interview followed by an on the job interview where I had to re-merchandise shelves.

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

Jan 30, 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us feedback. I'm really pleased that you found our interview experience to be really positive & that you accepted the offer. I hope you have many... More

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cannock, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Cannock, England (UK)) in September 2018.

Interview

Nice relaxed interview. When first arrived was given time to look around the store at the animals while we waited for everyone to arrive. Then the assistant manager gave us a booklet and told us all about working there, pay, shifts benefits, training etc. Then we were given a piece of paper and a pen and had 2 minutes to write a speech about a pet/s we have. People went in turns reading their speech to the group. There were current staff members there to observe us each one had about 3 people to observe. Then we were split into 3 groups and given newspaper, tape and scissors and had to create a bridge that could fit a fish tank running underneath it and as many of the dog toys as possible. We were then put into the groups of the person who was observing us and we had to create an advert for 3 own brand products. After everyone had done their adverts we all came back together and the people who observed us took us one by one for an interview where I was asked basic questions; previous experience, other jobs/commitments, how you were getting there, etc you were free to go after your interview.

Interview Questions

• What previous work experience do you have and how does that relate to customer services?   Answer Question

Oct 26, 2018 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback to us. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the interview process & found it to be relaxed as this is certainly one of our aims when recruiting... More

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Sheffield, England (UK)) in September 2018.

Interview

This was a group interview with a group of over 30 it was fun and relaxed we had to build a brigde using newspaper and tape in small groups the winning team was the one that could hold the most mobile phones then we stood up and introduced ourselves to the group we then each had a short interview with a staff member and think if you was one of the 3 successful candidates you then went on to do a work trail and then a interview with the manager which I thought was a bit unprofessional and she didn’t ask me anything about the animals I had to keep asking her it would have been better to have had a interview with the manager as she seemed really nice and professional and really cared about the animals welfare while in their care

Interview Questions

• The girl interviewing me just asked me about my flexibility and about my previous sales targets in other jobs and also how I would travel to work   Answer Question

Oct 26, 2018 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback. I'm really pleased that you found the process to be relaxed & fun as this is exactly our aim when recruiting. I really appreciate your... More