Pets at Home Shop Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pets at Home Shop Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at Pets at Home

2.7

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prescot, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Prescot, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

There was an online application, then an interview (a lot of people showed up), then if you were shortlisted, a work trial where you went in for the day and worked with handling the animals and cleaning cages, sorting stock and putting it on the shelves, and serving customers on the tills. The initial application was your basic application but obviously specified to the store; there was one question which said "if you could be any pet, what would you be and why?" I like that because it gets you to show who you are in a quick and simple way rather than "what three words would your friends say you were?" (Which I got in the final stage and just froze).
Anyway the interview consisted of about 20 people doing team building activities (build the tallest paper tower), telling the group about your partner and also telling the group what your ideal pet would be, even if imaginary.
There was a final interview at the end with some of the staff who, in the end, got the say on whether or not they approve of you, rather then the head guy having every say (really good way of doing it).
In the final stage I really genuinely enjoyed it all, staff were so lovely and so was the manager, really down to earth and lovely guy. I was told by phone a few days later than I wasn't successful, but he told me every reason why I was and wasn't successful and even offered to keep my cv and pass it onto other stores.
The best interview experience I have ever had, really. Just a big shame I didn't get the job it seemed like the perfect job.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Pets at Home

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Ipswich, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview. First the store manager told us about the storeand thier values ad a business and what we could achieve in the company.
    Next we were split into smaller groups. The first task was who could build the tallest tower from newspaper and tape in 20 minutes. Th3 second task was designing a product or thinking of an idea for the company in 20 minutes then presenting it.
    Afterwards we had a short inform 1:1 interview.
    We were told the next stage would be doing a trial in the store for a couple of hours. The stage after that is an interview with the manager.
    I was sent an informal email the next day to say I didn't get the job. It wasn't even signed off by a person or the manager. It gave no feedback at all and was very generic. I called the store to ask for feedback and they told me they "don't give feedback". Which I thought wasn't very helpful or professional at all.

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abingdon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Abingdon, England (UK)) in August 2018.

Interview

Applied online and heard back the same day! I had a phone interview (which is a new thing they do) which went well and I was made to feel comfortable. I then had a trial shift a week later, which was honestly I think the best way to introduce someone to what a standard day of work would consist of. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and I was paired with someone new for each task so I got to know everyone (each staff member also reports back on how well you completed the task to the manager at the end). The shift started with cleaning some fish tanks, then I moved on to helping a colleague assemble 3 indoor rabbit cages for display and the 2 hours finished off with me helping out on the tills for a bit (just assisting by greeting people, scanning their items, asking if they had a VIP card, receipt etc). The process was a really good experience, and I did get offered to go to the final interview the next day, which I only declined because I didn't think it was really the right job for me (and I had some other jobs which were more relevant to me lined up).

So overall; I think if you're a confident person (or can appear confident!) who can always stay strong in a retail environment with potentially difficult customers, is friendly and well-mannered with co-workers and customers alike, prepared to stack shelves/move around heavy items and prepared to sometimes handle animals/clean out cages (worth noting this is a very small part of the job, its mostly retail), then this is definitely something you should think about applying to. I felt quite mean declining the interview, as I felt the team were lovely.

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

Aug 28, 2018 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on our interview process. I'm so pleased that you had such a positive experience & enjoyed meeting & working with the team, we pride ourselves on having wonderful colleagues so this really is great to hear. I can completely understand why you declined the offer as you felt you had something slightly more suitable to you available to you at the time. We wish you every success with your new role & thanks again for telling us about your experience with us.
    Many Thanks
    Claire

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

Group activities and individual interview then contacted to come in for a half day work trial. Didnt contact me to let me know I had been unsuccessful, in the end I had to ring them.

Shop Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview

The whole thing was a two stage process. Took a long time from applying until the final verdict. Various tasks and initially a group interview with a considerable amount of people there.

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Malden, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (New Malden, England (UK)).

Interview

I attended the interview and there were about 30 people in the interview, I don't understand how you can get a better understanding and see if they will be right for the job when you overcrowd people into run room.

The whole interview process felt extremely outdated, it's if you are shy we don't want you here kind of feel, not great for the reputation of a company or a great image to set. This interview process may have worked 10+ years ago but times have changed and Pets At Home I think you need to get with the change!

Interview Questions

Pets at Home Response

Sep 29, 2019 – Social Customer Care Manager

Hi,
    Thank you so much for the feedback regarding our interview process. I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the process. It's something that we put a huge amount of effort into but do appreciate that it might not be to everyone's taste. I'll certainly feed this back to the recruitment team as we're always looking to develop & improve our processes. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. Lorna.