Pets at Home Store Colleague Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Store Colleague

Create your profile to get personalized information

Pets at Home Store Colleague Interview Questions

Interviews at Pets at Home

2.8

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pets at Home (London, England (UK)) in March 2013.

Interview

Submitted an online CV, was contacted after quite a while and told there was a group interview next week. Very short notice, if you don't attend I later found out they write you off completely in future!
Group interview was good, conducted by colleagues rather than management though the manager was present.
Firstly we gave a short presentation about ourselves and our pets (or what pets we would like). Then, we went into small teams and had to do some team building exercises: building bridges from paper to hold a box, building a tower, and then making a television advert. Last bit was a short 1-2-1 interview with a store colleague.
Heard back a week later and was invited to a work trial.
Work trial consisted of cleaning out a rabbit cage out the back, and getting to hold some of the animals to judge my confidence with them. After that, I had to clean the room and then go and help put out a trolley of stock for an hour. I was just watched as I did this, though one colleague thankfully did help me as I wasn't local to the store and didn't know where the stock went!
After that, there was a 20 minute interview with the manager, which was more formal.
Was told I would hear within a week, but it took 2 weeks to hear back.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Pets at Home

Store Colleague Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was asked to attend an interview. Arrived for the interview and discovered it was a group interview, which most HR professionals will tell you is a very poor way to do hiring. As outlined by others, had to perform some kiddie-level group exercises and listen to a presentation. Next, came a brief 1:1 with some random manager who asked inappropriate questions as to my relationship status. I was told I would hear a verdict by that evening. One week later, I got a canned rejection email.

Advice to management: Knock it off with the group interviews! It is a tactic used by people who don't know how to interview. It's awkward, unprofessional and demeaning. It is not an accurate way to gather information about a candidate or measure how they will do on the job.

I left that day highly annoyed that I had wasted an entire vacation day on this nonsense.

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rushden, East Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Rushden, East Midlands, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got back to me 2 weeks later inviting me to a group asessment. There was one role going and about 11 people at the group asessment. We had to first go round the circle and introduce ourselves, our current job or if we are studying, what we would like to do in the future and pets. We then proceeded to do group activities like dragons den style create a new product for the store and present and also to build a bridge out of tape and newspaper. At the end we had a quick 5 minute 1:1 chat and then we could leave.

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Malden, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pets at Home (New Malden, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

This was a group assessment. Started off with a brief overview of the company, job and training process given by the store manager. We were then given a couple of minutes to prepare a one minute talk about one of our own pets. This was followed by the first group task, building a free-standing bridge using only paper and selotape. The bridge had to be tall enough to pass a small glass tank under the span and strong enough to hold a number of pet's toys. The second group task was a 'Dragon's Den' style task, to choose a new service or product, pitch it to the interviewers and answer any questions they had following the pitch. Finally there was a brief one to one interview

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Employee in Caerphilly, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Caerphilly, Wales (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Online application, then was told 3 days later via email that I got through to the work interview that was being held within 2 days on a Sunday after store closing. And to come in informal wear as they would all be in their uniform
    (I went for Black jeans white top & Cardigan)

Group Interview was so much fun!. We got split into smaller groups and went to different parts of the store asked them questions about the job and got to hold some animals, followed by a very informal 1:1 which was pretty much just a questionnaire. It helps to be as confident as you can be. I am not confident at all. But managed to come across as confident by asking lots of questions and showing interest in the staff. The staff helped pick who got through so it's best to be friend the staff!.

Got a call within a few days asking for me to come in for a work trial
    Work trial lasted an hour, cleaned out some animals, walked around the store, had a go on the tills, and just chatted
    This was followed by another interview. Around half hour was very informal very laid back
    They make you feel very at ease!.

Then I had a call a few days later saying I was successful and to come and have another interview with the manager, wasn't really an interview, more like a really long chat.
    Again be confident ask questions make jokes. Laugh. Smile. Enjoy yourself.

Got a phone call the following day with them offering me the position!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for pets at home   1 Answer
    • How would your friends describe you in 3 words   Answer Question
    • Give an example of good customer service.   Answer Question
    • Why is good customer service important   2 Answers
    • How would you deal with an angry customer.   1 Answer

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

After about a month after applying for Pets at Home, I received a message about group interview which was taking place on Sunday evening. This seemed a bit unusual, but I decided to go. The whole thing lasted for more than two hours as it was 15 of us for 2 part-time positions (ridiculous). First of all we had to talk about our pet for a minute, then group work (building a bridge which will hold certain weight). At the end it was "an interview" - mine lasted about 2mins, the guy seemed uninterested anyway.

On Monday I received another e-mail which asked me to come for a work trial on Friday for about 2 hours. There were 4 people short listed out of 15. I was the first one to go for an interview which lasted 45mins, but it was pretty relaxed. Then we changed roles and I had to go with one of the store colleagues to shadow. Typical stuff: re-filling shelves, till work and cleaning hamster's cage. Then I was told to expect an e-mail on Monday or Tuesday.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday... I spent over 5 hours of my own time for group interview and the work trial and I didn't even deserve to receive an e-mail by Friday. Just because I sent them two e-mails asking what's the progress of the recruitment process, I received a bland e-mail saying: "You have been unsuccessful on this occasion...". Very, very poor! I gave them my personal time in return for a bland e-mail with no respect at all. Never again.

Btw. There were 5 pages of questions on the interview, considering the fact that it's only a store colleague position.

Store Colleague Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview

Starts off as a group interview where you will be asked some random varied questions about past experiences related to absolutely anything (Pets, Jobs, Holidays)

Then you are pulled aside for a 1 to 1 interview. Generally talking rates and commitments and just get to know you.

Then if you are successful you are called back for a work trail where you will follow a store colleague around for a few hours and they will review you (This means nothing as it's more if the person likes you or not, e.g. as the worst scoring colleague in the overall thing was given maximum scores from a colleague who knew her, has no real impact from your performance unless you are amazing)

Interview Questions

• This ones tricky its more the one explained in the hiring process, general thing though with this company is to lie to them at first (Within reason) then change later. (e.g. I am willing to work flexible shifts) Just change it shortly after you start and complain about the odd shift   Answer Question

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Sheffield, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

Submitted application through the job centre. Was then called into a group interview which involved building a hamster cage and other group activities like telling group about yourself. Then there was a one to one interview at the end. Was then called for a 2 hour trial where I had to clean out animal cages, and work the tills and stock. This then ended with another one to one interview with a senior management member.

Interview Questions

• What would u do if you won the lottery?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating. Only decision was to accept job or not

Store Colleague Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home in April 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online job application, which was very similar to all the other jobs that I have previously applied for.
    I received an email telling me that I had been invited to a group interview. At this group interview, there were about 8 other candidates. WE all had to introduce ourselves and talk a little about our hobbies, previous work experience and of course our pets. We then had 2 minutes to study a product each, then had to sell this product to the group and existing staff.
    After this, we were split into teams of 4 and given sheets of paper and rolls of duct paper. We had to construct a bridge which would allow a box to go underneath it, but also that could support the weight of the box. It was an empty box so this wasn't a difficult task, it was more about communication and team work.
    Finally, we had a 15 minute 1-2-1 interview with either the store manager or assistant manager. This covered basic interview questions such as why you wanted the job, as well as about your availability.

A week later, I received another interview inviting me to a work trial. It was casual dress again. It started with a half an hour interview with the store manager, which was in depth about hobbies, why you wanted the job, and questions about previous experience. This was followed by different tasks. Firstly, I had to return a trolley of stock to the shop floor, so it's advisable to know the layout of the store (although colleagues were happy to help). Then, I cleaned out the cage of a hamster and was given an opportunity to handle various animals such as snakes, rabbits and hamsters. Finally, was the till work. This was simply asking customers for loyalty cards, packing bags and selling raffle tickets and add on sales.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think it is important that we give correct advice?   Answer Question

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham Abbey, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Waltham Abbey, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

I HATE GROUP INTERVIEWS

This was a group interview which I hate. It included a brief description of the role and the company and the possible avenues for progress in the company. Then we had to do 2 group exercises, the 1st group exercise was to design a fish tank and provide information about the target market and why you picked what you picked. My group was awkward and when we had to explain they both ran ahead and used all of my ideas leaving me with nothing to say. Then the second group exercise was to develop a product for pets and their owners. This time one of the people in my group changed everything last minute and left me and the other group member with nothing to say.

Interview Questions

• At the end of the group exercises we were taken away one-by-one to have an individual interview. They basically ask you about your availability, how will you get to work, experience, how would you deal with an angry customer and basic stuff like that. They ask if you have any questions for them, which I didnt. So i suggest that you thinnk of these ansers before.   Answer Question