Pets at Home Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pets at Home Store Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Pets at Home

1.7

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pets at Home (London, England (UK)) in May 2018.

Interview

Telephone interview. Quite informal.
Followed by store assessment with 2 store managers and 2 area managers. Knowing it would entail me being on the shopfloor i"d emailed for dress code which i was told was informal smart casual, the other candidate and interviewers were in suits/business wear. I felt so uncomfortable , Arrived on the day and asked to wait whilst they got ready for me and the other candidate. Taken to staff room , which is also the office where the job was described to us by the 2 area managers and we just gave a brief description of who we were.
We were told that the job we'd applied for was a designate role, however that wasnt what i applied for. I'd applied for a specific store so i was put off straight away. We were then taken onto the Shop floor by the 2 store managers where they assessed us doing a swot analysis of the Shop floor, however the paper we were given wasn't a swot , it was a commercial daily floor walk.
We were then asked to hold a guinea pig and do a health check on it whilst taking notes on what we were doing (not too sure what the notes were for as they were not revisited. ) I was then put on the till, i was told it would be for half an hour but it ended up being for an hour and a half whilst the other candidate had their interview and we were then to swap over. ) . By the time I went into my interview it was 12.45, I'd been there since 9am. I was told they were now in a rush as they'd over run with the other candidate and to make it fair for the candiates they had in the afternoon that they would now stick to their script so it was important I stuck to answering the questions they asked. I thought this was unfair, However what was more uncomfortable was that I didn't feel listened to. I was really conscious of them clock watching and so I really couldn't wait to just get out of there. Considering that it was put across how relaxed they wanted it to be I don't think I've ever felt so uncomfortable in an interview ever.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Pets at Home

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pets at Home (Luton, East of England, England (UK)) in October 2018.

Interview

Initial phone interview, not competency based and very informal.
    After successful in that called to an assessment centre in a local store. Was told beforehand that it would be a three hour assessment centre, which I though strange as in previous roles I have led assessment centres for assistant manager grades that last at least 5 hours.
    The assessment was facilitated by two regional managers and 2 store managers. After a brief presentation, the assessment started. I was one of four candidates.
    First assessment (in pairs) put the key pets at home values into order using your skills of teamwork and persuasion to agree on the correct order.
    Second assessment (the group of four) you are given the scenario of being marooned in a jungle after a plane crash, you can bring some items but you all have to agree which ones to take.
    These two assessments took 45 mins in total. Then we had a break for 15 mins.
    We then came back and two candidates went in for interviews and the other two waited outside. The interview took around 20 mins (only two questions were asked by the interviewers, I asked more questions than they did), wasn't competency based and NO notes were taken at all. It was if the decision had already been made.
    I found it strange that they could decide who would be a suitable manager for their business with only a 45 mins snapshot and no competency based (experience) questions in the interview, which I feel should have been at least 90 mins.
    The whole process seemed a little amateur to me and not professional at all.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Pets at home?
      Tell me about your career history.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pets at Home (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online, and was emailed 2 weeks later asking me to attend an 'assessment day'. This should have started ringing alarm bells, as I've been to assessment days before and find them a complete waste of time.

Nevertheless, I confirmed my attendance - location; middle of nowhere squared. It was nice of them to ask that candidates wear casual clothing rather than formal, but almost everyone, including myself was wearing a shirt and trousers with shoes.

They were running behind by 30 minutes when I arrived 20 minutes early, which meant a lengthy wait of just under an hour. Thankfully it was booked in a hotel where tea, coffee and refreshments were available.

Once inside one of the conference rooms, there was about 20 of us. Yes, there was me thinking I had somehow been picked for my skills, when looking around, it seems that anyone who applied was given a seat at the table.

A 10 minute presentation was given by the Area Manager followed by some Store Managers who had also come down for the day to help out. Then we were asked to quickly introduce ourselves, give a bit of background information about us, until we all were done.

Next we were all given a piece of paper with 15 skills that you (as a Store Manager) would consider in order of importance. We basically had to label them from 1 to 15. Next we were split into 2 groups and were asked to talk to each other and come to a consensus of a 'final 15'. As you would expect, chaos reigned. You had people with loud obnoxious voices demanding they be heard over anyone else. The polite people like myself waiting for a gap in conversation to put their 2 pence in, and a time limit of 15 minutes to complete it. While this was going on, the Petsathome store managers were sitting not far away with clipboards obvious writing down how things were going.

Ultimately, the noisy ones were seemingly given carte blanche to dictate how this list should be, and eventually they were also the one to stand up and speak for the group. I knew right then, I'd made a huge mistake in even coming to this assessment.

Afterwards we were tasked with (again in groups), what we believed the future of retail stores on the high street would look like in 50 years. This was to be followed by a presentation by everyone in the group. What this has to do with my application is anyones guess but it was a complete waste of time, as once again, the boisterous male in the group wouldn't allow anyone to get their own opinion in.

We were given 10-15 minutes to then get a drink / smoke / toilet break before the last exercise of the day. Building a tower made from paper and sellotape to reach the ceiling.

At this point, I lost the will to live but quietly went along with it and helped us to the task at hand.

Finally we were led out into the hallway where 4 people at a time were called into for a 'interview'. I say 'interview' because there was no questions about performance, sales history, management history or KPI's targeted. Just nothing. Instead they wanted to know if I had a driving licence, how far I lived from the store, and pretty much if I had any questions. The 'interview' lasted no more than 4 minutes.

I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Seriously. Petsathome. What are you thinking? What, in your opinion, does any of these tests do for you as a company? I learned more about one of the candidates in the 15 minute tea break than you would ever get from building a tower made of paper. You can't judge someones ability to manage a store on what we think the future will bring us in 50 years.

What a complete waste of my time, energy and money.

I received an email 2 days later to say I had been unsuccessful. Not that I mind. I probably would have refused to go to any further 'interviews' had I been selected. I have a feeling the noisy ones in the group got their nose in front, but that's fine with me. If Petsathome truly believe being a noisy so and so and refusing to let others speak when they have an opinion about something solidifies my judgement. You'll end up with unhappy staff and probably more turnover of employees than you can imagine.

If I had to give management any advice, I'd seriously stop doing these ridiculous assessment days and start asking the real questions. I'd rather be interviewed by 3 Area Managers for 60 minutes straight than go through what I did.

This is NOT how you interview candidates.

FYI. The person in charge disappeared after their original introduction and returned at the end as they had 'calls to make'. I guess this was their get out of jail free card as were were left with Store Managers who didn't care what happened in our group. (Edit* I've had to remove their title as apparently, he or she can be identified by it!)

Thoroughly disappointed. Unless you're desperate, stay away.