Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2017

2.9

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

I saw a job post for an Executive Assistant in their Executive Office on Indeed. I applied on March 14 and on April 14, I received an automated email stating that they chose someone for the position. I was surprised that I even received a rejection email since I never got a chance to interview with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

It was well organized, and meticulous in its approach. Clear expectations and process that was followed. The only issue I had was with the salary negotiation process. There was none. They made an offer without the ability to have input.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Pew and not another organization doing similar work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

HR is pretty trash. They have this thing called "internal equity" which I think is latin for "we will screw you on salary". Besides that it was pretty straight forward, phone screen - in person - in person - offer letter.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with bureaucracy   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Telephone, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Contacted a few weeks after application for a screening interview with HR personnel. The gentleman was very nice and I met all the position requirements. Then months went by with no communication at all until I received a rejection email.

Interview Questions

• direct questions about my knowledge and experience related to the position. current salary was also asked.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR. Only spent 15 minutes and like a previous poster we only went over my resume. HR pressed HARD for my salary history. I deflected and declined to answer and they continued to press to know my exact base salary. It was so extremely off putting. HR said will forward my info to hiring manager for an in person interview but I withdrew my application for the position after this experience and will never apply there again.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about yourself   1 Answer

Bullying HR practices. Have no interest in working for a company that behaves this way. Their loss!

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

Very short and pushy interview with a recruiter. It was very obvious they were not listening to about 90% of what I was saying. Felt like I was talking to a greasy used-car salesman. There were very long stretches of time when I would hear nothing from the recruiter and it took multiple contacts from me to illicit a response. When they did respond they were super apologetic and informed me that they had over 120 open positions and were just always slammed. Made me wonder "what the hell is going on that an organization of less than 1000 people has 120 open positions ?!?! That's like 12% of their workforce!

Interview Questions

• About my salary, over and over and over.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. HR person asked for it to go over my resume. For about 15 min., that is pretty much what happened. Then she asked what salary I required. This threw me - I'm not used to a salary discussion until a job offer is made. I named a figure directly in the middle of what they pay Senior Associates. She said she couldn't do that, named a range 10-15k below that. She said the benefits would make up for the salary and e-mailed me their benefits book.

Their benefits don't make up for the 10-15k less than going rate in DC that they normally pay, let alone another 10-15k less than that. Decided they either didn't value the program I was applying for or thought I wouldn't notice I was being offered far less than they usually pay (they have a reputation for paying women less than men).

While I appreciate them not wasting my time with a lengthy interview process before offering a low ball salary, this left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of projects have you led? Could you describe the process?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

I was very unimpressed with how their HR department and management handled the interview and offer process and got the general vibe that Pew doesn't much value it's staff below the project manager level and sees candidates and prospective hires as interchangeable. HR was extremely unprofessional and bizarre throughout and while the technical team seemed super competent and like nice people (they were a pleasure to interview with and passionate about their work) they made very little effort to contact me or answer my questions once an offer was made. Pew's HR stressed they don't negotiate on salary as their benefits are very good but they were offering as a salary less than what I currently make at my existing employer so be warned they aren't particularly flexible. HR just emailed me an informal offer and there was no team follow up which to me was a bad sign of how seriously Pew takes building a strong team and valuing their middle managers. In terms of process- I interviewed with HR for a screening interview on the phone and then went in to pew twice for several hours with different panels of team members in the office before getting an offer over email from HR who asked me to decide immediatly but I took a week. The whole process took a month.

Interview Questions

• Very general behavioral and project management questions. A few technical questions.   Answer Question

Research Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in September 2015.

Interview

Applied first week of September and had an phone interview 2 days later. Interview lasted close to an hour and I thought it went well. HR is a bit flaky. Have been told numerous times that they will get back to me the next day. Wait a week or more and no response. Check back in and sometimes they get back saying they will know something by the next day. Another week plus goes by. Its been more than 6 weeks and still no answer regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• Typical softball HR questions. Strengths and weaknesses. What do you like about Pew?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview was a panel interview. The HR dept. Called me in at least three times for seperate interviews in different departments. Assuming it wasn't a good fit I never received an offer. The HR dept. Never returned my email or calls after the last interview. So if there's no offer dmt expect a courtesy call back. You must be persistent during the interview process for feedback.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in nonprofit? Do you have tuff skin?   Answer Question