Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2017

2.9

Campaign Manager Interview

Interview

Preliminary interview on phone was conducted. HR office called in response to application for another position to let me know that that one was already filled, but they did an informal interview to collect information to have on hand for future positions. Appreciated their effort in reaching out to me.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary requirements? Fairly persistent about that.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was brought in to do an interview and skills assessment. The staff was very polite and professional, but not exactly warm. I was given an overview of the company and the assessment and then left to complete it in my own time. Once it was completed, I had another chat where my skills and history were discussed. The interviewer was very helpful, patient and thorough. Next, a Talent Acquisition Manager came to do a follow up. The whole process took two or three hours. The team was very quick about follow up and communicating next steps.

Interview Questions

• The assessment was a little trickier than I expected. I think that we are all so used to using spell and grammer check that we forget how to to it the old fashioned way. Only a small percentage of people invited to interview pass the assessment so make sure you brush up on your skills.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Interview

Fairly easy process

Interview Questions

• How well do you deal with bureaucracy?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Able to negotiate something at the time but took a pay cut

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

Great HR staff, very easy to work with informative, and will talk to you!

Negotiation

No negotiation - it was low, even for a non-profit in DC as well funded as they are

Fellow Interview

Interview

Interviewed with multiple teams about multiple fellowship positions. Everyone was cordial but no one went out of their way to make the interviewees feel welcome. There wasn't really a structured set of questions or discussion points for any of the interviewers. I was quickly invited into a conference room for the interview and didn't wait too long for interviewers to come in. The office space is beautiful but a little cold.

Interview Questions

• The lack of questions was the most off putting thing about the interview.   Answer Question

Pew Employee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

I had three interviews total for the same position; they hired me ---- and THEN I had to wait another 45 days for a background check and THEN they "officially hired me" - meaning I received a FEDEX package stating I was hired. By that time, I almost forgot I applied.

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work at Pew?"   1 Answer

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

Very formal process that seems to vary by department and the role being hired for. Interviewed twice by HR, then position's supervisor then the supervisor's supervisor. Date of application to date of job offer was ~75 days and it seems that's about average. References were checked extensively and a full background check was conducted. Interviews were pleasant but HR interaction was a bit flaky. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked what the salary range was for the position and told what I now know is the low range. I set a salary requirement above that which was accepted without question or further negotiation.

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in March 2010.

Interview

The HR team at Pew does a fantastic job matching candidates with a position that will work for them. I really appreciated the tips and advice I received from the HR recruiter. When I made it to the second round of interviews, the interviewers were very candid and personable-- a main reason I decided to take the job when it was offered!

Research Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in September 2015.

Interview

Applied first week of September and had an phone interview 2 days later. Interview lasted close to an hour and I thought it went well. HR is a bit flaky. Have been told numerous times that they will get back to me the next day. Wait a week or more and no response. Check back in and sometimes they get back saying they will know something by the next day. Another week plus goes by. Its been more than 6 weeks and still no answer regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• Typical softball HR questions. Strengths and weaknesses. What do you like about Pew?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. HR person asked for it to go over my resume. For about 15 min., that is pretty much what happened. Then she asked what salary I required. This threw me - I'm not used to a salary discussion until a job offer is made. I named a figure directly in the middle of what they pay Senior Associates. She said she couldn't do that, named a range 10-15k below that. She said the benefits would make up for the salary and e-mailed me their benefits book.

Their benefits don't make up for the 10-15k less than going rate in DC that they normally pay, let alone another 10-15k less than that. Decided they either didn't value the program I was applying for or thought I wouldn't notice I was being offered far less than they usually pay (they have a reputation for paying women less than men).

While I appreciate them not wasting my time with a lengthy interview process before offering a low ball salary, this left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of projects have you led? Could you describe the process?   Answer Question