Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

It was well organized, and meticulous in its approach. Clear expectations and process that was followed. The only issue I had was with the salary negotiation process. There was none. They made an offer without the ability to have input.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Pew and not another organization doing similar work?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

Very short and pushy interview with a recruiter. It was very obvious they were not listening to about 90% of what I was saying. Felt like I was talking to a greasy used-car salesman. There were very long stretches of time when I would hear nothing from the recruiter and it took multiple contacts from me to illicit a response. When they did respond they were super apologetic and informed me that they had over 120 open positions and were just always slammed. Made me wonder "what the hell is going on that an organization of less than 1000 people has 120 open positions ?!?! That's like 12% of their workforce!

Interview Questions

• About my salary, over and over and over.   1 Answer

Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

Lengthy and little feedback from HR. Felt like writing a thesis. Sorry but don't have time to write anything else and I'd like to send in my comments to glassdoor so I can get on with my work. The bottom line is that I think that there are a lot more worthwhile NGOs, foundations, associations who are doing good work and value their people much more than Pew does.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult situation professional that you have ever found yourself in and how did you deal with it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Lengthy and little feedback

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR. Only spent 15 minutes and like a previous poster we only went over my resume. HR pressed HARD for my salary history. I deflected and declined to answer and they continued to press to know my exact base salary. It was so extremely off putting. HR said will forward my info to hiring manager for an in person interview but I withdrew my application for the position after this experience and will never apply there again.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about yourself   1 Answer

Bullying HR practices. Have no interest in working for a company that behaves this way. Their loss!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. HR person asked for it to go over my resume. For about 15 min., that is pretty much what happened. Then she asked what salary I required. This threw me - I'm not used to a salary discussion until a job offer is made. I named a figure directly in the middle of what they pay Senior Associates. She said she couldn't do that, named a range 10-15k below that. She said the benefits would make up for the salary and e-mailed me their benefits book.

Their benefits don't make up for the 10-15k less than going rate in DC that they normally pay, let alone another 10-15k less than that. Decided they either didn't value the program I was applying for or thought I wouldn't notice I was being offered far less than they usually pay (they have a reputation for paying women less than men).

While I appreciate them not wasting my time with a lengthy interview process before offering a low ball salary, this left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of projects have you led? Could you describe the process?   Answer Question

Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

Process took several months (longer than most nonprofits); started with HR screening, continued to several interviews with the hiring manager and surrounding staff; required an in-person writing test; and was official following a successful background check that took several weeks

Interview Questions

• Standard: How do you pitch?; Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

I was very unimpressed with how their HR department and management handled the interview and offer process and got the general vibe that Pew doesn't much value it's staff below the project manager level and sees candidates and prospective hires as interchangeable. HR was extremely unprofessional and bizarre throughout and while the technical team seemed super competent and like nice people (they were a pleasure to interview with and passionate about their work) they made very little effort to contact me or answer my questions once an offer was made. Pew's HR stressed they don't negotiate on salary as their benefits are very good but they were offering as a salary less than what I currently make at my existing employer so be warned they aren't particularly flexible. HR just emailed me an informal offer and there was no team follow up which to me was a bad sign of how seriously Pew takes building a strong team and valuing their middle managers. In terms of process- I interviewed with HR for a screening interview on the phone and then went in to pew twice for several hours with different panels of team members in the office before getting an offer over email from HR who asked me to decide immediatly but I took a week. The whole process took a month.

Interview Questions

• Very general behavioral and project management questions. A few technical questions.   Answer Question

Accounting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

It was a very weird interview. The guy sounded like he was in happy being there and was trying to convince me not to be there. He asked how long before j would like to be promoted I told him to years he said that's good because that's the company policy. He said it wasn't the case we came on they told him he could be promoted in 6 months then they changed the policy before he was able to be promoted. He sounded really bitter. Weirdest interview ever. He was good at pretending to like where he worked.

Research Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in September 2015.

Interview

Applied first week of September and had an phone interview 2 days later. Interview lasted close to an hour and I thought it went well. HR is a bit flaky. Have been told numerous times that they will get back to me the next day. Wait a week or more and no response. Check back in and sometimes they get back saying they will know something by the next day. Another week plus goes by. Its been more than 6 weeks and still no answer regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• Typical softball HR questions. Strengths and weaknesses. What do you like about Pew?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

The interview process was very long and tiresome. I met with each team member for an hour at a time, and still had to come back in for a final round. That does not include the 30 minute phones screen with Human Resources in advance of the in person interview.

Negotiation

It was a long interview process. I met with each person individually to total three or four hours. I also had to come back in for a final.