Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2017

2.9

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

I was very unimpressed with how their HR department and management handled the interview and offer process and got the general vibe that Pew doesn't much value it's staff below the project manager level and sees candidates and prospective hires as interchangeable. HR was extremely unprofessional and bizarre throughout and while the technical team seemed super competent and like nice people (they were a pleasure to interview with and passionate about their work) they made very little effort to contact me or answer my questions once an offer was made. Pew's HR stressed they don't negotiate on salary as their benefits are very good but they were offering as a salary less than what I currently make at my existing employer so be warned they aren't particularly flexible. HR just emailed me an informal offer and there was no team follow up which to me was a bad sign of how seriously Pew takes building a strong team and valuing their middle managers. In terms of process- I interviewed with HR for a screening interview on the phone and then went in to pew twice for several hours with different panels of team members in the office before getting an offer over email from HR who asked me to decide immediatly but I took a week. The whole process took a month.

Interview Questions

• Very general behavioral and project management questions. A few technical questions.   Answer Question

Research Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in September 2015.

Interview

Applied first week of September and had an phone interview 2 days later. Interview lasted close to an hour and I thought it went well. HR is a bit flaky. Have been told numerous times that they will get back to me the next day. Wait a week or more and no response. Check back in and sometimes they get back saying they will know something by the next day. Another week plus goes by. Its been more than 6 weeks and still no answer regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• Typical softball HR questions. Strengths and weaknesses. What do you like about Pew?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview was a panel interview. The HR dept. Called me in at least three times for seperate interviews in different departments. Assuming it wasn't a good fit I never received an offer. The HR dept. Never returned my email or calls after the last interview. So if there's no offer dmt expect a courtesy call back. You must be persistent during the interview process for feedback.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in nonprofit? Do you have tuff skin?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

The process started with a phone interview with their recruiter. I waited about a week and a half before I was contacted for an in-person interview. It wasn't until I got to the interview that I was notified that it was a panel interview. Also, before you come in for the person interview, they send you a very long second application/background check.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screening, then a phone interview with three members of the team I was interviewing for. They said my experience was that which they would seek for a senior associate. However, right before making me an offer said I did not have enough full time work experience and reneged on everything we had discussed. Very unprofessional when all of that information had been discussed and was known.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to be a leader on a project.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

Very formal process that seems to vary by department and the role being hired for. Interviewed twice by HR, then position's supervisor then the supervisor's supervisor. Date of application to date of job offer was ~75 days and it seems that's about average. References were checked extensively and a full background check was conducted. Interviews were pleasant but HR interaction was a bit flaky. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked what the salary range was for the position and told what I now know is the low range. I set a salary requirement above that which was accepted without question or further negotiation.

Fundraiser Interview

Application

Interview

Very detailed and exhaustive vetting process, multiple meetings with a revolving cast of characters from the in house recruiter to would-be colleagues and managers. Final vetting by head of department, which in hindsight is a total personality test. If that manager did not like you, regardless of qualifications or others' opinions, you were out. Also in hindsight, there is a mismatch between title and daily work and job description and daily work. It's almost a bait and switch.

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate and the salary and benefits were competitive in the marketplace, but it was also clear that people who were hired after a certain date made a significantly higher salary than those hired before. This created a lot of dissatisfaction in the department.

Pew Employee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

I had three interviews total for the same position; they hired me ---- and THEN I had to wait another 45 days for a background check and THEN they "officially hired me" - meaning I received a FEDEX package stating I was hired. By that time, I almost forgot I applied.

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work at Pew?"   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

The interview process with Pew is very thorough. First, I was contacted for a phone interview and then I had an in person interview. After being scheduled for an in person interview, I had to complete a lengthy full application. The in person interview was conducted by two people in the department. I thought the interview went well but I did not receive a call back. I thought it was quite rude that I did not receive a call back after completing a long application ( similar to a government background check) and a one hour interview with multiple people. They could have at least politely declined me. Listen to the other Glassdoor reviewers when they tell you that this company does not appreciate people. The interviewers hinted to a very challenging environment throughout the interview.

Fellow Interview

Interview

Interviewed with multiple teams about multiple fellowship positions. Everyone was cordial but no one went out of their way to make the interviewees feel welcome. There wasn't really a structured set of questions or discussion points for any of the interviewers. I was quickly invited into a conference room for the interview and didn't wait too long for interviewers to come in. The office space is beautiful but a little cold.

Interview Questions

• The lack of questions was the most off putting thing about the interview.   Answer Question