Pew Charitable Trusts Senior Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pew Charitable Trusts Senior Associate Interview Questions

2.5

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR. Only spent 15 minutes and like a previous poster we only went over my resume. HR pressed HARD for my salary history. I deflected and declined to answer and they continued to press to know my exact base salary. It was so extremely off putting. HR said will forward my info to hiring manager for an in person interview but I withdrew my application for the position after this experience and will never apply there again.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about yourself   1 Answer

Bullying HR practices. Have no interest in working for a company that behaves this way. Their loss!

Other Interview Reviews for Pew Charitable Trusts

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. HR person asked for it to go over my resume. For about 15 min., that is pretty much what happened. Then she asked what salary I required. This threw me - I'm not used to a salary discussion until a job offer is made. I named a figure directly in the middle of what they pay Senior Associates. She said she couldn't do that, named a range 10-15k below that. She said the benefits would make up for the salary and e-mailed me their benefits book.

Their benefits don't make up for the 10-15k less than going rate in DC that they normally pay, let alone another 10-15k less than that. Decided they either didn't value the program I was applying for or thought I wouldn't notice I was being offered far less than they usually pay (they have a reputation for paying women less than men).

While I appreciate them not wasting my time with a lengthy interview process before offering a low ball salary, this left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of projects have you led? Could you describe the process?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

Very formal process that seems to vary by department and the role being hired for. Interviewed twice by HR, then position's supervisor then the supervisor's supervisor. Date of application to date of job offer was ~75 days and it seems that's about average. References were checked extensively and a full background check was conducted. Interviews were pleasant but HR interaction was a bit flaky. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked what the salary range was for the position and told what I now know is the low range. I set a salary requirement above that which was accepted without question or further negotiation.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

Hiring process was very straightforward. I received a call from the recruiter and was given an overview of the job and we discussed briefly how my background and qualifications aligned with the position. I was then invited for an in-person interview at headquarters where I met with the team leads. They were very nice and polite and answered all my questions. It became clear that my long term goals did not necessarily align with the duties of the position and we discussed that openly. They were candid with me and, though I did not receive an offer, I did not expect to after our conversation.

Interview Questions

• A few behavioral interview questions, but mostly questions related to the ability and willingness to perform the day-to-day tasks of the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

Negotiation

little room for negotiation

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

My own experience was lengthy, over several rounds of interviews and weeks. There's clearly very big internal roadblocks to clear in the interview process, and you get a sense that a number of people you never meet have to vet you before you get an offer. Which, if you get to that point, isn't negotiable even by a dollar. Welcome to the rarified world of "paying for the recognition." the offer I received was quite competitive (full disclosure) but they tell you up front that there's no counter-offer or negotiation. A bit unsettling when you hear that, and really, a hint of what the workplace will become.

Interview Questions

• Defending your years of experience. Someone you never meet calculates your experience based on your resume/cv. Then they tell you, though it may have taken, say 9 years of grad school and work to now be a PhD, they believe you really only have 5.5 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were rejected outright.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview

Applied through the online system, as well as enlisted the help of some friends/colleagues that work for the organization. About 6 weeks after submitting, I was contacted for a first interview with the HR representative. Within an hour of finishing that, I was contacted again to set up a second interview with the campaign manager. That was in late November, and I was told that they hoped to make a decision before the holidays. The new year came and went with no word, and around the middle of the month, I contacted the manager to see where they were in in their process, at which point I was told they were still interviewing. In a search for another bit of information on the Pew site about a week later, I came across a new name in the senior associate position on that campaign, but the job was still listed as open until about 2 weeks after that. I never heard anything back from anyone at Pew regarding not being successful, which,considering I was told I was a top candidate as well as a later follow-up, seems inconsiderate and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• In the first round, they were very insistent on the salary requirements.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in February 2010.

Interview

Applied online. Went through initial phone screening followed by three rounds of in-person interviews.

Negotiation

HR was very averse to negotiating. Acted like I should be happy just to get the chance to work at Pew. Rigid salary scale. Very unpleasant experience.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in October 2010.

Interview

There was two phone interviews (one with a recruiter and the other with the hiring manager). Next there was an in-person interview with the hiring manager and the director supervisor. The third interview was with members of the team and the fourth was with people within the organization with similar job titles and responsibilities.