Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Nov 16, 2016

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

Very short and pushy interview with a recruiter. It was very obvious they were not listening to about 90% of what I was saying. Felt like I was talking to a greasy used-car salesman. There were very long stretches of time when I would hear nothing from the recruiter and it took multiple contacts from me to illicit a response. When they did respond they were super apologetic and informed me that they had over 120 open positions and were just always slammed. Made me wonder "what the hell is going on that an organization of less than 1000 people has 120 open positions ?!?! That's like 12% of their workforce!

Interview Questions

• About my salary, over and over and over.   1 Answer

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. HR person asked for it to go over my resume. For about 15 min., that is pretty much what happened. Then she asked what salary I required. This threw me - I'm not used to a salary discussion until a job offer is made. I named a figure directly in the middle of what they pay Senior Associates. She said she couldn't do that, named a range 10-15k below that. She said the benefits would make up for the salary and e-mailed me their benefits book.

Their benefits don't make up for the 10-15k less than going rate in DC that they normally pay, let alone another 10-15k less than that. Decided they either didn't value the program I was applying for or thought I wouldn't notice I was being offered far less than they usually pay (they have a reputation for paying women less than men).

While I appreciate them not wasting my time with a lengthy interview process before offering a low ball salary, this left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of projects have you led? Could you describe the process?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview was a panel interview. The HR dept. Called me in at least three times for seperate interviews in different departments. Assuming it wasn't a good fit I never received an offer. The HR dept. Never returned my email or calls after the last interview. So if there's no offer dmt expect a courtesy call back. You must be persistent during the interview process for feedback.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in nonprofit? Do you have tuff skin?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screening, then a phone interview with three members of the team I was interviewing for. They said my experience was that which they would seek for a senior associate. However, right before making me an offer said I did not have enough full time work experience and reneged on everything we had discussed. Very unprofessional when all of that information had been discussed and was known.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to be a leader on a project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phase 1, HR phone interview. I asked a lot of detailed questions about the organization and the position, and the recruiter was unable to answer most of them. She replied with answers piecemeal over the next few days.
    Phase 2, 1:1 interview with my to-be supervisor. Standard interview fare. Unremarkable in every way
    Phase 3, I returned for THREE more 1:1 interviews, each an hour in length. It was exhausting and repetitive.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult, but interviewing with 5 different people was unexpected and tedious   Answer Question

Negotiation

They claim that all offers are based on "internal equity" and are non-negotiable. The offer I received seemed fair, so I didn't push it

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

Negotiation

little room for negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied through the Pew website and was contacted within a few days. I did an HR phone screening, panel interview (surprised me as I was told it would be 1-on-1), phone interview, then about two months of waiting for a decision, with intermittent email exchanges with the hiring manager. I got the impression that employees operate under a lot of red tape and answer to a long chain of command. The most enjoyable part of the process was the panel interview; all the people I interviewed with seemed to be genuinely nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions caught me off guard. It was mostly a casual conversation about my experience and resume.   Answer Question

Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

Process took several months (longer than most nonprofits); started with HR screening, continued to several interviews with the hiring manager and surrounding staff; required an in-person writing test; and was official following a successful background check that took several weeks

Interview Questions

• Standard: How do you pitch?; Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Accounting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

It was a very weird interview. The guy sounded like he was in happy being there and was trying to convince me not to be there. He asked how long before j would like to be promoted I told him to years he said that's good because that's the company policy. He said it wasn't the case we came on they told him he could be promoted in 6 months then they changed the policy before he was able to be promoted. He sounded really bitter. Weirdest interview ever. He was good at pretending to like where he worked.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was brought in to do an interview and skills assessment. The staff was very polite and professional, but not exactly warm. I was given an overview of the company and the assessment and then left to complete it in my own time. Once it was completed, I had another chat where my skills and history were discussed. The interviewer was very helpful, patient and thorough. Next, a Talent Acquisition Manager came to do a follow up. The whole process took two or three hours. The team was very quick about follow up and communicating next steps.

Interview Questions

• The assessment was a little trickier than I expected. I think that we are all so used to using spell and grammer check that we forget how to to it the old fashioned way. Only a small percentage of people invited to interview pass the assessment so make sure you brush up on your skills.   Answer Question