Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 15, 2017

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in June 2017.

Interview

I have applied online and I was scheduled for a phone interview. The recruiter called and interview question were based on the information in my resume. After the initial phone Interview, they have sent me a office suites proficiency test that included Ms Word and Outlook as well as reading comprehension test. Do some research before taking these tests because they do need some preparation. Using word and outlook in day to day operation will not guarantee that you will be able to pass the test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

It was well organized, and meticulous in its approach. Clear expectations and process that was followed. The only issue I had was with the salary negotiation process. There was none. They made an offer without the ability to have input.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Pew and not another organization doing similar work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

HR is pretty trash. They have this thing called "internal equity" which I think is latin for "we will screw you on salary". Besides that it was pretty straight forward, phone screen - in person - in person - offer letter.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with bureaucracy   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

Very short and pushy interview with a recruiter. It was very obvious they were not listening to about 90% of what I was saying. Felt like I was talking to a greasy used-car salesman. There were very long stretches of time when I would hear nothing from the recruiter and it took multiple contacts from me to illicit a response. When they did respond they were super apologetic and informed me that they had over 120 open positions and were just always slammed. Made me wonder "what the hell is going on that an organization of less than 1000 people has 120 open positions ?!?! That's like 12% of their workforce!

Interview Questions

• About my salary, over and over and over.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. HR person asked for it to go over my resume. For about 15 min., that is pretty much what happened. Then she asked what salary I required. This threw me - I'm not used to a salary discussion until a job offer is made. I named a figure directly in the middle of what they pay Senior Associates. She said she couldn't do that, named a range 10-15k below that. She said the benefits would make up for the salary and e-mailed me their benefits book.

Their benefits don't make up for the 10-15k less than going rate in DC that they normally pay, let alone another 10-15k less than that. Decided they either didn't value the program I was applying for or thought I wouldn't notice I was being offered far less than they usually pay (they have a reputation for paying women less than men).

While I appreciate them not wasting my time with a lengthy interview process before offering a low ball salary, this left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of projects have you led? Could you describe the process?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview was a panel interview. The HR dept. Called me in at least three times for seperate interviews in different departments. Assuming it wasn't a good fit I never received an offer. The HR dept. Never returned my email or calls after the last interview. So if there's no offer dmt expect a courtesy call back. You must be persistent during the interview process for feedback.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in nonprofit? Do you have tuff skin?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screening, then a phone interview with three members of the team I was interviewing for. They said my experience was that which they would seek for a senior associate. However, right before making me an offer said I did not have enough full time work experience and reneged on everything we had discussed. Very unprofessional when all of that information had been discussed and was known.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to be a leader on a project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phase 1, HR phone interview. I asked a lot of detailed questions about the organization and the position, and the recruiter was unable to answer most of them. She replied with answers piecemeal over the next few days.
    Phase 2, 1:1 interview with my to-be supervisor. Standard interview fare. Unremarkable in every way
    Phase 3, I returned for THREE more 1:1 interviews, each an hour in length. It was exhausting and repetitive.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult, but interviewing with 5 different people was unexpected and tedious   Answer Question

Negotiation

They claim that all offers are based on "internal equity" and are non-negotiable. The offer I received seemed fair, so I didn't push it

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC).

Interview

You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

Negotiation

little room for negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied through the Pew website and was contacted within a few days. I did an HR phone screening, panel interview (surprised me as I was told it would be 1-on-1), phone interview, then about two months of waiting for a decision, with intermittent email exchanges with the hiring manager. I got the impression that employees operate under a lot of red tape and answer to a long chain of command. The most enjoyable part of the process was the panel interview; all the people I interviewed with seemed to be genuinely nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions caught me off guard. It was mostly a casual conversation about my experience and resume.   Answer Question