Phelps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Phelps Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.7

Strategist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Phelps.

Interview

The interviewers never shook hands nor did they really even introduce themselves to me. They did not say very much about what they exactly did for their clients in the discipline I was interviewing for. I understand not being able to go into much detail, but typically interviewers will talk about process in this discipline and strategy. None of this was discussed. Questions asked of me were generic for the most part. Anyway, I left thinking that this department did not really do a whole lot in terms of this type of strategy in this particular discipline. I walked away feeling that this role would be very junior even though they were looking for a senior. Weird interview over all and I didn't have much confidence in this department or its staff.

Interview Questions

• None that were really granular. very top level and generic questions asked for such a technical discipline.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Interview

They were nice people. They really tried to get to know who you are. They try to give you the full scope of the agency. The interview was casual and fun.

Team Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Phelps (Playa Vista, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Very long interview process beginning with the initial phone screening. A couple weeks went by and I was invited for an in person interview with HR Manager, HR Coordinator and 2 members of the client team. Standard interview questions, laid back and casual feel. I was invited a couple weeks later in for a short interview with CEO, answered similar questions while he gave me a run down of the company and culture. A few days later the CEO personally called me and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• How do when you manage multiple competing responsibilities?   Answer Question

PR Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Phelps (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied and heard from the recruiter about 2 weeks later. Phone interview and then an in person interview with 2 account executives and another recruiter (not the same one). They asked the usual questions and felt like I got a good vibe from all of them. Took about 45 minutes or so and I asked how long will it take to hear back. The recruiter said they will be taking their time in screening people.

I followed up and was told that they are still in the process 3 weeks after the in person interview. Still waiting to hear back. Overall, it was a pleasant interview, both the phone and in person.

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Phelps.

Interview

Got interviewed by a junior person who does't really have the skill set to interview someone at a senior role. This shows a level of unprofessionalism. Very disappointed as you cannot possible explain or talk about your role with someone who has the caliber to ask the right questions.

Interview Questions

• Background check questions are inappropriate over the phone   Answer Question

Interview

It was the easiest, more laid back interview I've ever experienced.
    I was first contacted by their HR recruiter. He was very straightforward, was willing to speak immediately to their very distinct environment and their benefits, and was very open about how it was a collection of strong personalities.

I then went into a large panel interview with their other interactive producers, their COO, art directors, and developers. What looked to be a panel of jurors became a very warm and direct bunch. Their questions all had merit and I appreciated their directness. Plus, the majority of them all had very good senses of humor.

One bit I would recommend is understanding their overall philosophy on "Pyramids are Tombs."

Interview Questions

• Can you type with large gloves?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fairly easy. They made a very strong offer.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Phelps (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

2 sets of interviews, first with HR then with a team of people I would be working with. It was a group interview with 2-3 people in the department. They went around and asked different questions and took notes. Make sure to take extra copies of resumes.

Interview Questions

• What is your proudest professional past achievement?   1 Answer
    • What is your greatest strength and weakness?   Answer Question
    • How has your college courses influenced your decision to apply here?   1 Answer

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Phelps (Santa Monica, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

My 3rd and final interview was a bit of a surprise. After talking with the CEO on the phone (1st interview) then I met with the COO in person 1/1 at their office (2nd interview) I received a call from the COO that he would like me to come back in to meet a couple of more people, Team leaders. "Translation: a panel interview which consisted of 11 people, Team Leads, Art Directors, Creative Directors, CFO. Conference rm, oval table, me alone on one side, the panel of 11 on the other side of the table which just happen to be closest to the door. I initially was quite nervous as this wasn't, still isn't, my definition of a "couple of more people". Then I realized it was purposely designed this way to see how I handled myself when a curveball is thrown at me when I was expecting a fat one over the plate. I decided I can do my best by describing my experience. If it happens to work for them great. If not, this is fine as well. All was moving at a rapid pace with questions being thrown at me from their side with no continuity, consistency, all over the board, some not having anything to do with anything and most annoying was the next question sometimes would be asked before I finished answering the previous question. Then when I probably looked like I was about to be bold and say something like "do you people think you can have just a little more tack with this process or is that unthinkable? This is when they gave the nod to use their secret weapon. She walked in late, total attitude, I said hello, she never looked at me and mumbled yea as she sat down. She asked me a job related question with absolutely no emotion, feeling, passion, or even interest in what she was asking. I answered accordingly by my own experience. She said with said with some emotion even though it was frustration, "let me ask you the question another way" then asked me the question exactly, word for word, the same way she did the first time. I looked at her and thought for a second that this woman is nuts. She is totally messing with me. This is completely inappropriate and I am going to go with her game when right then she shot me that look of "well???" I said well since you asked that way I'll answer it completely different. I then went on to repeat exactly what I said the first time. I then was giving her her own look. She sighed deeply and now said"I'm going to put a spin on the same question and maybe you'll get it, she then asked it the same way as the first two times. I smiled and acted a bit surprised in a good way and said, ohhhh. Now I totally understand what you're asking. I feel a little foolish that I didn't quite get it the first two times and before the last word rolled of my tongue she snapped, "GOOD!" That's right, I answered the exact same way as the first two times. She became clearly and uncomfortably upset and barked at me that she just was not hearing what she wanted to hear (boy, that statement told me everything about her) I went into a firm mode and looked at her squarely in the eyes. I said, Listen. I have two options when you ask me the exact same question 3 times. I can lie to you. Make something up that sounds grande to you, puff out my chest and carry on like an arrogant SOB. Or my only other option was to tell you a truthful answer based on my experience. If it works for you that's great. If not, why waste your time and mine? She became so upset, she hurriedly grabbed her stuff and stormed out of the conference rm. For the next 4 - 6 seconds, which actually seemed like a very long time, you could hear a pin drop. I decided I would break the ice and I said, "I don't think it went that well with her. What do you guys think?" Laughter erupted and comments were semi defending her as a co-workers will =to an outside but they were also slanted with yea, she can really be a tough one. We had some small talk, ended the interview, shook hands, exchanged the courtesies of we'll be in touch and all that...I left. As I walked to my car, I wrote the company off. No way will I ever hear from them again. When I got home I wasn't there but 10 minutes when I got a call from the CEO. He went on and on about every negative thing he could come up with in regards to the panel interview. I cut him off and said listen, not necessary, let's call it an experience and wish each other well. He chimed in with, what are you talking about? We want to make you an offer." So the story goes and I walked into exactly what I thought I would be walking into...A House of Curveballs." My advise is always be prepared for anything, the worst case scenarios, the rude 10 minute interviews...because everything else will be a pleasant surprise.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us why you are the best candidate for this position?   1 Answer
    • Tell us a weakness of yours that could affect your job performance.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated 1 additional week of vacation time, they initially offered only two.

SEM Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Phelps (Santa Monica, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

At first I was impressed by the office building. Nice location, and a mini stage with a drum set looked like it was my kind of place. Looked like a fun culture, but when I talked to a couple former colleagues who were current employees, it seemed like they were less than thrilled. I got the idea I was going to be buried in keyword spreadsheet hell and decided it wasn't for me.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you managing large volumes of keywords?   Answer Question