Philip Morris USA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 12, 2017

3.3

Territory Sales Manager Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedminster, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Bedminster, NJ) in February 2009.

Interview

I showed my interest in Philip Morris at a college Career Day. You sign up and hand them your resume to let them know you are interested. If they like your resume they will call you for an interview. At a Career Day it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to sign in to show your interest, because they are looking for people that are willing to talk with other people and show leadership abilities. If you get a call for an interview, it is a 3 step process.

Interview #1 - There are 2 people that evaluate you. They ask you what you know about the company. Make sure you do you research and tell them everything - they will be VERY impressed. You can get this information from the company website philipmorrisusa.com. On the website they also list the values and mission of the company. Make sure you know the values and tie them into the questions that they ask you.

Interview #2 - There are 2-3 head managers of the company that interview you. They ask a behavioral interview (Example: What would you do in this situation?). They do this to see what type of person you are and how you deal with different situations. Then at the end of the interview there is a piece of paper with 4 questions on it. They will pick one of the four questions at random and ask you what you would do in the this situation they have given you. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION! Just be honest and be confident in your answer. They don't want to hear a wishy-washy answer. They want someone that shows confidence and leadership that will be proud of the decision they make.

Interview #3 - This is basically a trial run, but it is still an interview. They send you out on a day in the field with a Territory Sales Manager, and his/her boss so you get a feel of what you will actually be doing on the job. Make sure you help out the managers when they are doing things in the stores. Be very observant and ask lots of questions. Talk to them and show them you are picking up on things that they are doing, and that you will be able to handle the internship. This is the final step and they will let you know if they like you and want to make you an offer.

Two Final Hints:

1) Be confident and stress the fact that you think outside the box and that you are a leader. Explain how you can use your leadership skills to add value to the company.

2) Make sure it is not a moral issue for you to be selling cigarettes. They will ask you in almost EVERY interview if you have a problem with selling cigarettes. If you have an issue with selling tobacco products then this job is not for you. They will also ask you if you smoke cigarettes. You CAN - I repeat - YOU CAN say you DO NOT smoke cigarettes. I said that I did not smoke and I still got the job. As a matter of fact, almost everyone I know from the company does not smoke cigarettes. Do not feel like you have a lesser chance of getting the job if you are a non-smoker.

The people I have met from Philip Morris USA are very easy to deal with if you are a people person. If that is the case you will have no problem fitting in with the company. Good luck with your interview!

Interview Questions

• Do you smoke cigarettes, yes or no? If no, explain what your opinion is on people choose to use tobacco products.   1 Answer
    • Your company is not doing well financially and your boss has ordered you to bring money into the company by any means necessary. You have been dealing with a client for years and they have full trust in you. They are looking to buy a manufacturing machine that will bring in a lot of money for your company. The problem is, you know that the machine they are looking to buy from your company will be obsolete within a few months. However, your company is making a newer and better version of this machine that is coming out in 6 months. This will be a better choice for your client in the long run because if they get the other machine, they will be unable to use it when it goes obsolete in a few months. Your boss ordered you to get money by any means necessary, but you don't want to lose trust in your client. What do you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You cannot negotiate the offer. All interns get paid a standard amount, but you can not argue with the salary they are paying you. For the summer of 2009 the interns will be making approximately $20 per hour.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA.

Interview

Name a situation when you used research as a method of schooling?

Human Resource Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Krąków, Lódz (Poland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Krąków, Lódz (Poland)) in July 2010.

Interview

the first the skills and background checks than phone inerview and the last step is panel interview

Purchasing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA in May 2010.

Interview

The interview consisted of two 1:1's with the predecessor and the future line manager. They have questioned many details of my CV and went thru all the details of the potential position. Be sure to go there prepared and prove facts with different case examples.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA in March 2010.

Interview

Was very interested in candidate's long term goals and objectives. Prefers specific and strategic initiatives over generalities. Asked a great length of scenario & situational questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to achieve in the next 5 years?   Answer Question
    • What is the most difficult objective you've overcome? And how?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA in February 2010.

Interview

I was a intern so I was directly hired from my summer internship within 3 weeks for completion. However, they extend an offer with out giving a set area of entrance. I was under the impression I would be a financial analyst but, I ended up being a cost accountant.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA in May 2009.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email two days later that told me they'd like to interview me and gave me the time and place for my interview. The interview was at a Caribou Coffee shop in a formal meeting/boardroom in the back of the shop. Two young sales reps sat across a table from me and took turns asking questions. Questions were situational: explain a time when you had to make a quick decision without a superior to give you the authority; explain a time when you had to expedite something in order to save a customer account; a lot of questions dealt with decisions you regretted making, times when you could have done something better, missed opportunities, and how you would have done something better. They were interested in actions, reactions, opportunities, solutions, and independence.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to work with a coworker under timed conditions, but you were not familiar with that coworker and how he/she operated. (They wanted to see if you could adapt to an unfamiliar situation and collaborate well in a short amount of time).   Answer Question
    • What is position on professional responsibility and ethical conduct when dealing with expense reports?   Answer Question

Brand Manager - New Tobacco Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw (Poland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Warsaw (Poland)) in January 2009.

Interview

I was working at BAT, working on very important product introduction.
    Philip Morris faked the recrutement among our team members, offering the job through local headhunter agency. Then, as the part of recrutimentr they demanded to prepare to new product launch strategy - the time given for preparation was very short, and the brief was so simmilar as for our project.
     Obviously they wantned to get intelligence at the product we were working on. Needless to say they did not hired anyone for the position.

Interview Questions

At the presentation of the strategy. people (5) at the begging were very cheering, once they assumed that no info about competition would be given, they lost interest. One person asked the most kinky and stupid question I have ever heard: "What animal are you?"

I would not NEVER like to work for such a company

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA in May 2008.

Interview

Consisted of questions that discussed my personal strenghts during the first interview. The second interview involved questions involving seperate cases.

Interview Questions

• If you have a product to sale to a client that will be replaced within a few months, will you sell the product if your manager pressures you to?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA in May 2008.

Interview

Phone, panel, tests

money