Physio-Control Human Factors Engineering Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Physio-Control Human Factors Engineering Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Physio-Control

1 Interview Review

Human Factors Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Physio-Control in April 2013.

Interview

After applying online for this summer position, I was initially contacted by phone by an HR representative. He invited me for a phone interview with one of the internship committee members. The phone interview happened the next day and lasted around 30 minutes. A week later I was invited for an in-person interview onsite with four different people over two hours (30 minutes with each person). We scheduled my interview to be taken place two days later. I had to fill out three pages of paperwork (standard application materials) and take them to the interview.

On the day of the onsite interview, I checked in with the front desk receptionist and waited in the lobby. A few minutes later I was greeted by my first interviewer, another employee from the internship committee, who took me up to a private interviewing room. He first asked how I found out about the opportunity, then asked me to tell him about myself. After a few other general interview questions I had the opportunity to ask him questions about the internship program itself. He told me more about how each intern gets their own mentor to guide them.

Immediately after the first interviewer left, the next interviewer came into the room. This employee was to be my mentor. He asked me about my skills, experience, work ethic, and interests. I then had the opportunity to ask him more about himself, his position, his department, and the project I would be working on.

After the second interviewer, my manager-to-be came in to the room. She came a little late, so I had a little less time with her and some extra time with my mentor-to-be. My manager-to-be asked me about my related experience, my design process, and how I think my course of study relates to the medical technology. I then got to ask her more about the company, its history, and its goals.

My interview session ended with an informal interview with a past intern who turned into a full-time employee. She gave me a walking tour of the campus, which was very informative and helpful. Seems like most places don't give you a walking tour until AFTER you are hired, but having the tour during the interview is nice for the interviewee because it helps him/her decide if the company is a place they could really see his/herself working at. After the walking tour we sat down in the cafeteria, where she gave me a chance to ask any informal questions, questions that probably wouldn't have been appropriate to ask during the previous three interviews. For example, I asked her about her experience when she was an intern, the social events she got to attend, and the compensation she got as an intern.'

Overall, the interview/hiring process was very good. Received the job offer a week after the interview, so the whole process took only about two weeks for me. This might have to do with the fact that I was the last person they interviewed for this position. The in-person interviews weren't intimidating at all; they were fairly conversational, since I wasn't asked to recite my strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• The goal of the project for this internship was to design the "out-of-box experience" (packaging, instructional print materials, how the contents are laid out in the box, etc.) for one of their products in development. The most unexpected question was asked by my mentor-to-be (not verbatim): "Can you think of a product that had a memorable, unique, intuitive out-of-box experience?"   Answer Question