Pier 1 Imports Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 8, 2017

2.0

241 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Raleigh, NC) in November 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application and was called to see if I was interested in a group interview. We had a group interview (seasonal sales associate) that was me and 2/3 other people and the manager. It was actually a great experience and so much better than I expected, and the manager was really easy going and made it more of a conversation. We started by introducing ourselves and then going on to basic store associate/sales questions about our general experience--basically the "how would you handle XYZ situation in the store" and "Tell me about one time when you had this problem and how you dealt with it." Most questions were open ended--we could choose if we wanted to respond or not to a particular one, but then we did 1 or 2 questions where we all had to go around in a circle and answer--things like "sell me this item" or "convince me to put an add in item in my basket."

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a dissatisfied customer who has a broken item?   1 Answer
  • If I'm a customer and I have a large basket of items/am placing a furniture order, tell me the steps you would take to try and convince me to open a store credit card.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview

First, I had to fill out an online application that took nearly an hour. It had an interactive video section. I was called in for an interview a week later. I was met with a one on one interview with the assistant store manager. She asked some rather basic questions, but some of them had to be modified because this was my first job. There were also some role playing questions so they can assess your ability to sell items.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge that you had to overcome in your previous workplace/school?   1 Answer
    • [Roleplay] Say, I want to buy this painting. How would you make the sale?   1 Answer
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Raleigh, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

The worst part of the entire process was filling out the application and having to do the part that felt like a personality test. It was just one of those "what would you do in this situation" or "which word best describes you" type of things, but I thought it was pretty intense to just be applying for a retail sales position. During the interview, the manager doesn't ask any questions that would throw you for a loop. The hardest question they would ask would be a sales question.

Interview Questions

• How do you gain insight about what a customer is shopping for?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Dallas, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I had to apply online; which was not a big deal. The interview itself was a group interview with only the manager and 7 other potential employees. It was a bit nerve racking!

Interview Questions

• They had us walk around the store and find an item that we liked. Then we all came back and told each other why we picked the item we chose.
      Then we had to look to convince the person next to us that they needed this item and how well it would look good in their home.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Orange, CA).

Interview

Online application followed by in-person interview with store manager and assistant manager. Hired on the spot. You need to allow for at least 45 minutes to complete the online application, as there is a list of competency scenarios you read and respond to. Pretty straight forward, common sense questions but important to move forward to the interview round.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Presented minimum wage salary.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview

My interview process was fairly simple. I showed up 5 minutes before the interview was supposed to start, waited until the manager was ready and went in for the interview. Didn't take too long and was hired on the spot. Manager offered me a not so appealing wage and had to pretend I had another offer to get the measly few dollars I earn now, but it was an easy interview process overall.

Interview Questions

• How would you inform yourself about our merchandise?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview

Interview was held by the store manager in a group setting within the store you applied to. All questions that are asked are in the form of role playing. They want you to display how you interact with customers.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in September 2015.

Interview

The supervisor was so nice on the phone and in person. Interview was done in a group which was new to me and made me very nervous, but the other two interviewees were also very nice. Then, the manager of that particular store came in to interview and seemed like he would rather be anywhere else. He would ask questions very boredly and when you gave an answer he would just say "kay" like those texts we hate to receive from people lol. Otherwise it was a pretty good experience.

Anonymous Employee in Jonesboro, AR

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Jonesboro, AR) in September 2015.

Interview

Sat down with the manager and hired the same day. Very easy questions. Very casual setting. Not stressful at all. Started training the next day. Interview was no problem at all.

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Toledo, OH) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got a call back within 2 days. Came in the next day and had an interview with the Store Manager. It was a basic interview that talked about my availability and previous work experience. All the questions I was asked were role-play scenario questions. The interview took around 45 minutes and I was hired on the spot and started 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a long line of impatient customers during the holiday season?   Answer Question