Pinellas County School District Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pinellas County School District Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2018

2.8

Faculty Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pinellas County School District.

Interview

After submitting all materials for application, I received my first interview about 5 weeks later. The interview was through ooVoo. Approximately a month after my interview, I was offered the job.

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pinellas County School District (Clearwater, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

Walked in got the job... LITERALLY! So here is what actually happened given the lack of a interview. I was told caseloads were 15- 22, I consistently had 26+. I quit during the summer and was begged to returned because "Next school year would be different! We got rid of the person that was causing the most issues." I was expected to teach ESE kids in classrooms during other teachers' lunch and planning while they were in the class CLEAR and VOCAL about their objection to me being there (and of course how "DUMB" the kids were) . I though I knew how to write an IEP, but I wrote and rewrote IEPs to the point where I had to encrypt things that might help me keep my teaching license, should someone who actually knew what they were doing looked at them (yes it was that serious).

Basically all the stuff that could have rightly been said at the interview would have been illegal. How do you explain that; teachers you may be working with will degrade you, the aides and the kids. We have a revolving door because of it. No one will collaborate with you to complete legal documents for kids with your name attached, saying you are doing things that you are absolutely not. We have; jail time, drug abuse and spear chucking jokes directed at you for your entertainment. Finally, we will need you to pick up a disabled staff member off the floor several times because we won't provide them a proper chair. Good luck, one more thing, come later and sign up for a useless school function a get a BUCKET OF FRIED CHICKEN!!! (DEAD SERIOUS) This might explain why there was no note worthy interview.

It may be beneficial to research the State of Florida in general if you are new to the field. The issues in Pinellas (the 7th largest school district in FL) were representative of the entire State. Hillsborough, Miami-Dade, West Palm, Orange and Duval all have virtual non-existent Special Education programs, inherit racial issues, countless stories of inappropriate teacher student relationships etc. After research, it was necessary for me to leave the State to find a respectable teaching job.

Interview Questions

• Well it basically translated to "How big of a fool are you?"   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pinellas County School District in June 2016.

Interview

I received an email with a date and time to be at the central office for a scheduled interview. I never received a phone call or any other information. Although reluctant. I showed up for the interview as I was very interested in the position and working for the school board.

As soon as I walked into the interview I was introduced to the 3 panel interviewers. They were very nice. it was explained to me they conducting back-to-back interviews and I would be alloted 15 minutes to answer 9 questions.

The questions were related directly to the position. However, I felt rushed answering them as it was a times interview and the pressure was on.

Overall, the interview went well. The way the interview was scheduled was very impersonal and it made me feel as if they were interviewing candidates based on needing to her their "numbers".

I followed up with emails and phone calls amd never received one response.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you would handle two employees who were not getting along.   Answer Question

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pinellas County School District (Clearwater, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

There was none. I simply completed the online application and they called and told me to show up for the one day training. The application was quite involved and you have to provide recent references. They were very flexible in terms of when I could attend the training session. They offer them on a routine basis.

Interview Questions

• You have to pass a background check, drug screening and fingerprinting. You also have to be certified to teach to qualify for the one day training. If you are not certified you can still qualify to sub but you have to still pass the background checks and you have a longer training process (2-3 days depending on your level of education).   Answer Question

Third Grade Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pinellas County School District (Clearwater, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

6 people in the room, Principal, Behavior Specialists, a 3rd, 4th and 5th grade teacher and the Reading Coach, generally they do NOT make eye contact because they are writing down what you say, other than a smile or a nodding of the head is about all the feedback you get, can be some what intimidating

Interview Questions

• what is CLOZE and how would you use it in the classroom   1 Answer
    • How do you handle behavior in the classroom/ system etc. do you use   1 Answer
    • How do you support ESOL students in your classroom   Answer Question
    • Know about math interventions   Answer Question
    • Know about Jan Richardson guided reading   Answer Question

Paraprofessional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Pinellas County School District (Saint Petersburg, FL) in January 2016.

Interview

I walked in and was interviewed by both the assistant and principle. I walked into the school with my resume and asked for a position. The principle met with me right away.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a child who has repeatedly been told to so disrupting class?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pinellas Park, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pinellas County School District (Pinellas Park, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

A department or grade level team plus administrator asks six or so questions round robin style. One about why you think you are a good candidate. Two about behavior or classroom management. Two about content delivery of a specific subject or standard. One about team work. Plus time for candidate questions.

Interview Questions

• What type of behavior management system do you use?   1 Answer

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pinellas County School District (Saint Petersburg, FL).

Interview

Very well done. Four people interview, plenty of time for response. The panel round-tabled the questions. I had the full attention of everyone in the process. The interview was on time, no waiting.

Interview Questions

• Typical. Why do you want work here?   1 Answer

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palm Harbor, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pinellas County School District (Palm Harbor, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

Team or panel interview with two administrators and three current teachers. I was asked to describe myself and what I had done, what my greatest accomplishments were and how I managed behavior. I was asked why I was leaving my current school and what I was hoping to find here.

Interview Questions

• Describe your classroom and how it functioned.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. Teachers are assigned to a pay scale.

Technology Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Largo, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pinellas County School District (Largo, FL).

Interview

Process took about a month. The interview process needs to be completely overhauled and redesigned. The answer is scored on a number system and unless you hit the key answers they have prewritten down on their sheets you will get a low score. To change positions in the company the process is the same internally as it is externally.

Interview Questions

• The questions could be anything, not just technology based. But they can't expand on questions because they are just reading a script, so there is no back and forth like a normal interview so unless you give exactly the answer they have written down you won't get points. So you should basically just keep talking as long as possible and eventually you will hit their goal answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation