Piper Jaffray Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Piper Jaffray Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

3.1

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

Standard process. Had a phone interview with HR for 10 minutes and got invited to come in for the super day. Super day was 8 back-to-back interviews with one 5 minute break conducted by MD's, VP's, COO, HR. I came from a liberal arts college, so certain interviewers really pressed the technicals. Heard back in the car before I made it back to school from the office.

Interview Questions

• Work your way through the financial statements to get to unlevered free cash flows. Calculate a return on equity for a hypothetical company.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Piper Jaffray

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray.

Interview

The interview process was pretty smooth. I had an on-campus interview with two VPs. They had mostly technical questions like accounting and modeling. Then, a couple weeks later, I went to their office in MN for a super day. There were 8 back-to-back interviews with a range of analysts, COO, HR, VPs and EDs. There was one round of technicals, the rest were get to know you. I heard back within 3 days.

Interview Questions

• What happens to the 3 accounting statements when you buy a piece of equipment for $100,000 and it depreciates straight line over 10 years?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

Smooth interview process. A short on campus interview. Only behavioral questions and very conversational. Interviewer gave his background and asked a few simple questions. Never heard back from them after the interview about next steps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy, people were very nice but final phone call with women wasnt as personal as calls with people that actually worked there and she didnt engage in our conversation

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you were in a group and one person wasnt helping or pulling their part? What did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The first round of interviews was very technical. Just critical thinking and questions about the market. Went to info session. Then, submitted the application and got the interview the following week. They called me the next day after the first interview to invite for Superday which was on Friday. (first interview was on Monday).

Interview Questions

• Interest rates, comps, why you are interested in banking, why Piper.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

Interviewed on campus with the firm. Very laid back interview that was more conversational than anything else (what do you like to do for fun, why are you interested in our firm, etc.). No technical questions at all. Felt more like they were just getting to know me as a guy who they'd want to work with 100+ hours per week. Definitely helps if you do your research on them before the interview, this helped me out a lot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2015.

Interview

Smooth. HR made the process enjoyable. Great Super day experience. Everyone was friendly and made me feel at ease. Overall a great group of people. The EA's support one another which is very important to me. They work as a team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I attended the New York office and met with people in various groups and had informal interviews After having a phone interview I received a phone call inviting me to the Super Day in San Francisco. Typically the analysts and associates were the ones that asked the more challenging technical questions. Once you meet with higher up people it is mainly just behavioral questions. I had 6 interviews with 12 different people. Each interview lasted about 30 minutes. I didn't receive an offer and I asked for more specific reasons. They were unable to give me specific reasons.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2015.

Interview

Met with head of M&A on campus. He talked about Piper Jaffray and the position in detail. We discussed my ambitions and why I thought Piper would be a fit. Also spent time discussing past internships and investment banking in general. Discussed coursework and the quantitative rigor of past classes and internships. Then was asked technical questions ranging from CAPM, to WACC, to valuation methodology. Accounting concepts were discussed. Also typical scenario of having one financial statement available, which one would you choose to value the company. (CF) Overall enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• What is wrong with using P/E in comparing companies? What would be an alternate comparable?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2014.

Interview

Great interviewers. All extremely professional and not too technical. They all asked me very easy questions related to my school work and my interests outside of my major. Asked about past volunteerism and where my skill sets were applicable.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   1 Answer