Piper Jaffray Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Piper Jaffray Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2017

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (New York, NY).

Interview

Two separate phone calls with referrals. Then Superday. 7 interviews with bankers from 4 teams. Everyone was really nice. Some tough questioning at times, but it was all to help them learn more about you and your background.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much all qualitative questions.... know your resume inside and out and be prepared to explain your decision-making and projects in each internship. A couple easy technicals so they know you've done your homework, and a brainteaser to see how you think. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, as long as you walk them through your problem solving they will help you where necessary to connect the dots.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Piper Jaffray

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray.

Interview

It was an average interview process. I was asked basic technical and behavioral questions. About 6 back to back interviews that were two on one. Each team in the New York office interviews per person.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2017.

Interview

Referral candidate. Phone interview a week after I submitted my online application. Superday a month later. Heard back the same day. Straight forward process. The people were absolutely terrific and at no point did it feel like anyone was out to get you, but rather, getting to know you as an individual.

Interview Questions

• Basic valuation methods, what do you do for fun, why Minneapolis, why Piper, why MM, how to you handle a situation with converging deadlines?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2017.

Interview

First, I received an e-mail notification about a phone interview. The phone call took approximately 20 minutes and was completely fit-based. Shortly thereafter, received notification about a superday. The superday was 3.5 hours and involved 5+ interviews. Mostly behavioral and fit, however, there were a couple general technicals.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Why IB? Why MM banking? Why Minneapolis over NYC?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

Standard process. Had a phone interview with HR for 10 minutes and got invited to come in for the super day. Super day was 8 back-to-back interviews with one 5 minute break conducted by MD's, VP's, COO, HR. I came from a liberal arts college, so certain interviewers really pressed the technicals. Heard back in the car before I made it back to school from the office.

Interview Questions

• Work your way through the financial statements to get to unlevered free cash flows. Calculate a return on equity for a hypothetical company.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray.

Interview

The interview process was pretty smooth. I had an on-campus interview with two VPs. They had mostly technical questions like accounting and modeling. Then, a couple weeks later, I went to their office in MN for a super day. There were 8 back-to-back interviews with a range of analysts, COO, HR, VPs and EDs. There was one round of technicals, the rest were get to know you. I heard back within 3 days.

Interview Questions

• What happens to the 3 accounting statements when you buy a piece of equipment for $100,000 and it depreciates straight line over 10 years?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

Smooth interview process. A short on campus interview. Only behavioral questions and very conversational. Interviewer gave his background and asked a few simple questions. Never heard back from them after the interview about next steps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy, people were very nice but final phone call with women wasnt as personal as calls with people that actually worked there and she didnt engage in our conversation

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you were in a group and one person wasnt helping or pulling their part? What did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Piper Jaffray (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The first round of interviews was very technical. Just critical thinking and questions about the market. Went to info session. Then, submitted the application and got the interview the following week. They called me the next day after the first interview to invite for Superday which was on Friday. (first interview was on Monday).

Interview Questions

• Interest rates, comps, why you are interested in banking, why Piper.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

Interviewed on campus with the firm. Very laid back interview that was more conversational than anything else (what do you like to do for fun, why are you interested in our firm, etc.). No technical questions at all. Felt more like they were just getting to know me as a guy who they'd want to work with 100+ hours per week. Definitely helps if you do your research on them before the interview, this helped me out a lot.